Hard Candy - 1 year on...

Guest gloriesbarcelona

I still love the album. I think it contains some of her most accessible and lightest songs in years. Even songs like "Candy Shop" and "Spanish Lesson" have grown on me after seeing them performed live. My only disappointment has been the rather underwhelming videos that she's produced in support of the album. "Devil" should have been released accompanied by a grand cinematic video, although a big budget video would have been impractical in today's climate.

I still hate "Incredible" though.

best album of hers since the 80's - and thats where my love began - so it makes sense. for the 90's madonna fans, i dont think they like it as much.

With a few possible exceptions, myself included.

I'm actually quite fond of the record, even though it DOES sound "outsourced" as someone said earlier. She may have surrendered herself over to others, but the fact remains is that those "others" at least KNEW what it took to make Madonna sound like Madonna, and they gave her some very good pop music to play with. I really don't dislike anything on the record, it must be said. Promotion and visual packaging are a different story.

Decent album, some nice beats and some catchy songs. I initially loved it, but over time my love for it has died down a bit. I don't listen to it all that much, but when i do i still enjoy it. It's good for what it is, but it's no great achievement or anything when compared to the albums of hers i really love.

This pretty much sums up how I feel...

I still love the album. I think it contains some of her most accessible and lightest songs in years. Even songs like "Candy Shop" and "Spanish Lesson" have grown on me after seeing them performed live. My only disappointment has been the rather underwhelming videos that she's produced in support of the album. "Devil" should have been released accompanied by a grand cinematic video, although a big budget video would have been impractical in today's climate.

I still hate "Incredible" though.

I agree with you, as well... Surprisingly, I enjoyed BOTH Candy Shop and Spanish Lesson live. And yet I still skip 'Incredible' when the CD is playing. Which isn't as often anymore, surprisingly. HARD CANDY dissolved more quickly for me than Madonna's other musical treats have.

I agree with others about the packaging, as well. For someone who is so image-conscious, she really acquiesced on this album. Anything to put a bookend on her Warner contract, I suppose.

Some good stuff on it, especially her work with Pharrell which recaptures the disco/RnB influence of Like A Virgin. Timbalands work sounds dated and recycled like all his stuff. Favs include Give It 2 Me, Heartbeat, She's Not Me and even Incredible. I just wish she didn't sound that bored when singing Miles Away. Obviously doesn't scale the DIZZYING HEIGHTS of Confessions but still an ok album I guess.

Guest Danny86
but the fact remains is that those "others" at least KNEW what it took to make Madonna sound like Madonna

Exactly, I think that's something very important and could not be said about the previous two records, regardless if you enjoy them or not.

I think it's one of her best, to me it has many of her catchiest melodies ever. Also, HC will always be remembered for materializing "Devil Wouldn't Recognize You", the track that was constantly discussed among hardcore fans for 4 years!

Not as desperate as I expected it 2 b..but still, her weakest effort as a whole. :fag:

P.S + Her worst produced vocals.

sorry but i have to disagree. imo Confessions had worse produced vocals because of that vocoder which kinda annoys me sometimes. on Hard Candy you can obviously hear clearer her voice like in the 80's albums.

I think its a good solid effort. Spanish lession is just dumb and worthless, even after seeing it live. I am a bit obsessed with DEVIL,, def should have been a single with a kickin vid... The CD cover is TIRED, like she is repeating herself or trying 2 hard. Favs are Devil, 4 Min, BGO, GI2M & Heartbeat.....

I still think it is her best album since Bedtime Stories - pop songs and ballads. 4m and Spanish Lesson aren't so great but there are some real gems on there. Remarketed and with M not having all the personal problems, this album could have been huge.

Guest Pud Whacker
With a few possible exceptions, myself included.

I'm actually quite fond of the record, even though it DOES sound "outsourced" as someone said earlier. She may have surrendered herself over to others, but the fact remains is that those "others" at least KNEW what it took to make Madonna sound like Madonna, and they gave her some very good pop music to play with. I really don't dislike anything on the record, it must be said. Promotion and visual packaging are a different story.

maybe thats what i like so much about it. i know this is blasphemous in madonnaville but i believe her best work is when shes not too involved. ex. madonna/madonna, gambler, virgin, mirwais era. there are exceptions, of course. especially her inital production with steve bray - just clean, cool beats with that high pitched voice. nothing touches that for me.

and, of course in movies, desperately seeking susan. a great film example is truth or dare vs im going to tell you a secret. i know she was way too involved in the latter post produciton. ugh.

she writes and sings - she doesnt need to produce, too. leave someone else to the knobs.

LOVE it. In my top 5 Madonna albums.

Candy Shop - 6.5/10 - Don't care for it much. I like the flow of the verses, like the beat....but the hook is weak & some of the other instrumentation is too thin. Still sounds like an unfinished demo.

4 MINUTES - 10/10 - Love it. The racing urgency of it is killer. The bass. The hard beat. Sounds FIERCE on loud speakers. The best she's looked in a video in a long time. Plus it was Madonna's highest charting single in close to a decade, her first single to go double platinum in almost 2 decades and most viewed video on YT! ;)

GIVE IT 2 ME - 5/10 - Sounds like a b-side off-album track IMO. Should have been limited to the European release.

HEARTBEAT - 8.5/10 - Would be great for summer single. Especially like the bridge to the chorus.

MILES AWAY - 9/10 - I love how it combines the breeziness of a ballad with the beat of a dance song. Reminds me of a new school "True Blue" or "Cherish".

SHE'S NOT ME - 6.5/10 - It's ok but too campy and long. Don't like the "she doesn't have my name" part of the hook. Really shrill & akward. Usually skip it.

INCREDIBLE - 7.5/5 - Took me some time to get into but now I always listen to it when I play the CD. LOVE the breakdown.

BEAT GOES ON - 10/10 - Forget about cheesy, campy, uber fast electro mix crap like COADF. THIS harkens back to REAL vintage NYC dance Madonna.

DANCE 2NITE - 7/10 - Has its peaks & valleys. The verses drag but the hook is great. Decent album track.

SPANISH LESSON - 1/10 - Put this is the crate with I KNOW IT, JIMMY JIMMY, LOVE MAKES THE WORLD GO ROUND, CANT STOP & I LOVE NEW YORK as another of the worst songs Madonna ever recorded.

DEVIL WOULDN'T RECOGNIZE YOU - 10/10 - Brilliant! Like a darker relative of MILES AWAY. The most listenable Madonna song in over a decade.

VOICES - 9/10 - The lyrics are great. Love the "So you play madness like it's convenient / You do it so often that you start to believe it / You have demons so nobody can blame you / But who is the master and who is the slave?" The biggest problem I have with it is that the bass clashes with the other instramentation and I wish the tempo were a little slower.

Verdict: 8.5/10. Easily Madonna's best album since BEDTIME STORIES! This reminds me of pre-Kabbalah/kids/faux-Brit Madonna!

More please!!!

Guest nothingfails0603

I own a copy just because I buy every M album, but except for Miles Away, Give It To Me, Dance 2nite and She's Not Me, I can't stand the album anymore. If I want to listen to HC, why not just pop in Loose by Nelly Furtado? same difference :lol:

Guest Pud Whacker
I own a copy just because I buy every M album, but except for Miles Away, Give It To Me, Dance 2nite and She's Not Me, I can't stand the album anymore. If I want to listen to HC, why not just pop in Loose by Nelly Furtado? same difference :lol:

um, probably because most of us arent nelly furtado fans and dont own her albums.

Guest BytheBay
um, probably because most of us arent nelly furtado fans and dont own her albums.

and becuase it sounds nothing like nelly's album.

anyway, my favorite thing about this album is even with the strong production, ie timba and jt's distinct sound and pharrels distinct sound, madonna shines through...and she shines through moreso then ever. it harkens back to her original music so much that to me it's almost her at her best, all the artifice is gone of the crappy gay disco or the pseudo spirtual lessons, its just her voice and energy. she sounds so much more energized and alive to me on this album.

Guest Danny86

The similarities in the production with Loose are minimal and needless to say Madonna's melodies walk over Loose anyway.

I also love it how Pharrell did fantastic stuff on HC even though he started working with Madonna right after Gwen's 2nd album was released, which had some incredibly crap songs by him.

I love it, EVEN MORE!

I can actually play while driving, or even cleaning the Bathroom. [i Couldnt do that w/ "COADF"]

'BGO' has suddenly become my New Favorite Tack.

& This is the ONE Madonna Album that I can leand to my friends

and they actually listen too! :dramatic:

I Never can sit through "Voices" :confused::confused::confused:

Guest Pud Whacker

thats funny because a lot of my friends that i grew up with that dropped out for a good fifteen years came back for this one and loved her again. everyone just has different taste. for most musical artists, they have a particular sound and madonna has such a diverse discography.

I love it, EVEN MORE!

I can actually play while driving, or even cleaning the Bathroom. [i Couldnt do that w/ "COADF"]

'BGO' has suddenly become my New Favorite Tack.

I Never can sit through "Voices" :confused::confused::confused:

Really? I looooooooove Voices! I'm not a big fan of Dance 2Night.

It's great to read so many positive comments about an album that was ripped to shreds by the majority of her fans a year ago! I've always loved the album and still do :thumbsup:

It's great to read so many positive comments about an album that was ripped to shreds by the majority of her fans a year ago! I've always loved the album and still do :thumbsup:

To be fair, Madonna doesn't have a BAD album. All everyone was saying was that it not up to her standards and I think everyone still agrees on that.