Madonna's Malawian Adoption: Appeal to The Supreme Court

Bitch

Some of these comments make me laugh. Some people want the judge to bear in mind all the good Madonna has done for Malawi but they don't want the judge to consider how Mercy would be going to a workaholic divorced mother of 3 who frequently tours the globe. Insane.

It would be relevant if that judge referred to any of these issues. However, she only addressed the residency part and nothing more in her ruling.

Read it; it's posted in the previous pages.

Please drama fucker!

Do u think there is any comparison between growing in an orphanage and being a child of the most famous woman on earth who would provide this girl with the greatest education and possibilities,

Some of these comments make me laugh. Some people want the judge to bear in mind all the good Madonna has done for Malawi but they don't want the judge to consider how Mercy would be going to a workaholic divorced mother of 3 who frequently tours the globe. Insane.

You're right. The girl is better off living in a dirty forsaken orphanage till she is old enough to leave or gets sick and dies than being adopted by Madonna. :electropop:

I'm sure any kid there would rather prefer being raised by nannies and never actually see their adoptive mother than living in that HELL hole and end up dying of aids or soemthing.

Yeah it's all black and white, very simple. It doesn't matter Madonna has kids who go to school or that she actually has a life or anything, she can just give up on everything and go live for 2 years in some 3rd world's country.

Are you serious? If she is so determined to adopt a child from a third world country she should be willing to embrace, appreciate and experience the child's native culture first hand...not by simply flitting in and out of the country like a tourist. Nobody has the right to eradicate anybody's culture even if us Westerners perceive Malawi as some kind of impoverished hellhole. If she lived there for a short term it might shatter some of the misconceptions that some people have of Madonna merely using her money and status to buy up babies like fashion accessories.

For a woman who already has 3 kids shouldn't she be concentrating on nurturing the children she already has anyway? Why does she need more kids? Money isn't everything.

I'm going to have to agree with Drama_Boy, if she TRULY loves this child and wants to save her life she will live in this country for what, 18 months?

I mean, that's what all those crazy Kabalah books talk about: "coming out of your comfort zone."

Are you serious? If she is so determined to adopt a child from a third world country she should be willing to embrace, appreciate and experience the child's native culture first hand...not by simply flitting in and out of the country like a tourist. Nobody has the right to eradicate anybody's culture even if us Westerners perceive Malawi as some kind of impoverished hellhole. If she lived there for a short term it might shatter some of the misconceptions that some people have of Madonna merely using her money and status to buy up babies like fashion accessories.

For a woman who already has 3 kids shouldn't she be concentrating on nurturing the children she already has anyway? Why does she need more kids? Money isn't everything.

Amen!

Very disappointing. It would be nice if more of the media reported that M has actually been in the process of adopting Mercy for quite some time now and that she didn't just fly in on a whim last week to "shop" for a little girl. It's sickening to think that there will be people who are elated that M didn't get to adopt Mercy, just because she's Madonna. Some people just disgust me. The more I think about it the angrier I get. This world really is shit sometimes.

Please drama fucker!

Do u think there is any comparison between growing in an orphanage and being a child of the most famous woman on earth who would provide this girl with the greatest education and possibilities,

I pity you for stooping to insults. However, this is a good lesson for Madonna and all celebrities who want to buy up babies to form a collection of Benetton accessories. Money will cater for some of the child's needs, but not all. She's a recently divorced woman who has never lived in her proposed adopted child's native country. End of.

i respect ur opinion drama boy but do you honestly really think that M would treat her kids as if they were accessories? come on now. i'd understand if you'd say that if paris hilton would be adopting, but this is madonna we're talking about. i dont think thats very respectful. this isnt the perezhilton comment booth!

It would be relevant if that judge referred to any of these issues. However, she only addressed the residency part and nothing more in her ruling.

Read it; it's posted in the previous pages.

Scroll back and you'll find I referred directly to the issues of residency previously. I suggest you read the comments before issuing a response.

Guest boytoyville

I think that it's really sad for all involved. When it comes down to it everyone is just trying to do what is best for the child and everyone is getting hurt. My personal opinion is that Madonna should be allowed to adapt this child. David was almost dead before Madonna saved him. If it was up to these "rights" groups they would have rather had David dead than adapted, because sadly enough without intervention by media attentin or by adaption the reality is that most of these children will not live to see 15 years of age and many less than 15 that are HIV+. It's time to look at the bigger picture. Madonna is not the enemy here.

You have no idea what you're saying.. What is she supposed to do with Rocco and Lola who are in schools? take them out of school, uproot them and bring them to a country RAVAGED by AIDS and poverty and force them to stay there for 18 months would be fucking smart, wouldn't it? :confused::electropop: she would make such a good mother for them if she done that, right? it's not like shes on her own, this woman actually has a life, a family, she can't just fucking drop off everything to go live there.

I don't know why she needs more children..probably cause she wanna abuse them, drink their blood or for a publicity or some shit like that. ....What a stupid question. WHY wouldn't she want more children??

Very interesting. You are asking her to spent a certain amount of time (let´s say 18 months) in Malawi to appreciate the culture of Malawi to prove that she´s really serious with this adoption and/or to prove she could actually be a good mother to this orphan? In the consequence she would need to leave her other kids alone because they already have their own life in NY or London. Leave them alone with nannies, something you have already criticised her for. To make them stay with her in Malawi for that time is hardly an option, since this is most likely not what she wants for them. I doubt Malawi has the kind of schools to offer as NY or London. All parents would agree that this is even more irresponsible. You need a reality check.

Anyway, if Malawi really wants more kids to be adopted from westerners to give those kids a better future, they need to change this law because most of those westerners are just not in the position to stay away from their jobs for a longer period. If the current law is to prevent child trafficking then there are other ways than forcing people to reside in Malawi for 18 months.

Maybe some compromise could be reached where she could live in Malawi for a few months to show her sincerity. 18 to 24 months sounds unreasonable to me. Why do you need that long to deterimine if someone is a good parent and not a trafficer who flies in and out.

Also why is the time period 18 to 24? Usually with time period requirements like that, it's always a definite time period. That shows to me the residency requirement was meant to be flexible.

Oh yeah I'm sure there lines forming for a malawian judge. I bet she'll be on Court Tv next week. Right up there with Star Jones

And the judge probably had nothing to do with the case until Monday when madonna went to court. My brother was adopted. The entire time we went through it with different people, the judge met with us once, the day he made it legal. The process isn't easy. And it shouldn't be. If Madonna had dotted her i's and crossed her t's she should have dealt with the residency issue as should have her lawyers. The onus is on Madonna not the legal system. She has to prove to them she's ready for it, not vice versa.

Judge's high profiled ruling in this case attached her name to the issues of human trafficking and abroad adoptions on global level; opening many doors of opportunities for her (spokesperson of matter related organizations, work in UN, etc). That ruling was her own future and gain - not Mercy's.

There are obviously many things that we don't know regarding this adoption as when the judge started working on this case. We also don't know how profound M was regarding the residency issue; however, knowing how long she was going through this adoption process and knowing what a perfectionist she is – I'm inclined to think she covered the entire aspect.

You're right. The girl is better off living in a dirty forsaken orphanage till she is old enough to leave or gets sick and dies than being adopted by Madonna. :electropop:

I'm sure any kid there would rather prefer being raised by nannies and never actually see their adoptive mother than living in that HELL hole and end up dying of aids or soemthing.

And you have spoken directly to an orphan of Malawi to understand how they feel about their situation? Every person I know who has worked in refuges, with orphans and charity/voluntary organisations of Malawi have always commented on the tremendous sense of community and happiness which shines right out of those children and people of Malawi. Who are we as Westerners to impose our perceptions of happiness and quality of life on a less powerful nation. Just support the cause and help to finance decent medical treatment and health care...if you really DO care about Malawi and the orphans.

It's absurd to think Madonna should uproot her family to live in a place like Malawi. It could be downright dangerous for her and her family to live in a place like that. Besides that, is it typical for a person that wants to adopt a child from another country to have to live in that country for 2 years before adopting? I don't recall Angelina living in the countries she adopted her children from. Shouldn't she have FULLY IMMERSED herself in that culture before taking little Maddox home? People say Americans have too much pride, it sounds like these high officials in Malawi suffer from the same "disease" and therefore are unable to make the RIGHT decision because they are simply being stubborn and trying to prove some sort of point. It's disgusting they act as if nothing is wrong in their country and sweep everything under the rug. Let's check back with Mercy in 10 years.....any bets that she will even be alive and if she is.....bets that she will be happy and flourishing? Not trying to sound ugly and regardless of what happens I certainly hope she has a full, beautiful life ahead of her but they are certainly "shooting her in the foot" by keeping her in that sewer pit of a country.

I'm just baffled that ANYBODY could support this judge's ruling. Talk about not seeing the big picture.

Scroll back and you'll find I referred directly to the issues of residency previously. I suggest you read the comments before issuing a response.

You referred to the issues of her being divorced and working a lot, a part from her touring. These are issues that the judge didn't address.

Guest Pud Whacker
I hope so Pud, I really do.

What really annoys me is that people sniping and judging are doing NOTHING to help the situation while complaining from their comfortable sofas, watching TV, eating their take away, wearing their nice clothes, living in a house they own etc. etc. It's SO EASY to judge but not so easy to look at yourself to see what you're contributing to the solution. What a bunch of cunts.

you know, i just spoke with my friend, who is that person you described, and he is a big madonna fan. i havent seen any of the tv footage but he was going on about the grandmother and i was like, "dude, when you relinquish a child to orphanage to put up for adoption (which the UNCLE did), its not yours anymore." of course, the family loves her and wants her but if you cant take care of her - WHATS THE POINT? love doesnt feed the stomach.

... Just support the cause and help to finance decent medical treatment and health care...if you really DO care about Malawi and the orphans.

Yeah right. Let´s spend a few bucks a year and we will feel so much better in our guilt that we were not born in a poor country. Unconditional support the way you are asking for, is the worst thing you can do. Because in the end it´s not going to change anything in those countries. They need to be supported so they can change their society and sooner or later they might be able to take care for themselves. This is not a one way road.

Maybe it's because Madonna is no longer married, has relocated, works excessive hours, tours, etc and therefore *appears* to not be able to give a child from another country a stable family life.

This was your first post in relation to the decision. It is quite clear why you support the judges ruling. All this talk about "she should immerse herself in the culture" will not change any of the above things you posted.

Guest Pud Whacker
This was your first post in relation to the decision. It is quite clear why you support the judges ruling. All this talk about "she should immerse herself in the culture" will not change any of the above things you posted.

and she has 'immersed' herself by building more orphanges, giving medical care and clothing....