The most iconic photograph of Madonna ever taken

Guest seancannon

Guest dicktracy

MDN-091~Madonna-Ray-of-Light-Posters.jpg

madonna_britney_close.jpg

madonna.jpg

madonna-hall-of-fame-01.jpg

Yeah, unfortunately that last one did come to mind... but anyway

The look that made her a legend... not just a superstar... was the cone bra and the ponytail. So Blond Ambition was her most iconic in my opinion. Elvis had the suit, Michael Jackson the gloves, and Madonna the cone bra.

'justify my love' sleeve photo is the hottest for me and definately iconic..and the one from 'sex' where she's hanging from a crane. the 'true blue' sleeve was also a duvet cover hahaha so i guess thats the most iconic

I agree with some of the ones posted....

First Album Cover

Like A Virgin Cover

True Blue Cover

Blonde Ambition-Ponytail/Cone Bra

and.....

life1286.jpg

I suspect the TRUE BLUE cover (as several posted in this thread) will probably be the over all Iconic image of Madonna in her history. I do agree that there will be younger generations that may think... "that was Madonna?" She's changed her look so many times, I've always wondered long after her death, which image would be used the most that would be associated with Madonna. I feel regarding her music, the TRUE BLUE album cover will be forever used when she is mentioned long after she's gone.

But of course, that all could change within the next 30 years and where she takes her career and life. She seems to have no plans of retiring from the public life, so it all can still change.

Most people now associate her with the long blonde golden locks she's been sporting for more than a decade (on and off). That very well good be the image most people will remember her as. But again and as I mentioned, it all depends on her future. It's not like she had one look like many legends. She's constantly kept changing her look over and over. It's just the last 10 years it's been more the same.

Lorraine Day

Many thanks! :)

I'm also glad someone 'nominated' a Testino shot. The "Ray of Light" cover came to mind for me, but it just felt a little too recent.

Even the Mondino "Hollywood" shot -- where she's got the very blonde hair and the very red lips -- is very iconic to me, even though that's very recent.

It is harder to judge the more recent years yet. You really do need more than one to properly represent a woman who's explored her image that much. A Meisel, a Ritts, a Mondino, a Testino, a Klein... and maybe a couple other lesser knowns -- like Lorraine Day! ;) At least, she's lesser known to me, but I'm truly grateful for that beautiful VOGUE portrait, which is the one that comes to my mind first.

Guest bluejean

Definately the 1st Vogue pic is the most famous shot of Madonna.

Followed by the Like a virgin album cover and any of the BAT cone bra shots.

ahahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahaa. That Kylie fag... :lmao: her fans have the most BLIND love. hahahahhaha. To Kylies fan: go and check the time these looks were appropriated and secondly get an eye exam. They do not even look alike. You should also understand this; Madonna is a silent GENIUS and her work is so well tied in with the image she presents that it is unbelievable. Whereas the Kylie whore is generally meaningless twerp food.

at least she's aging better...

she will be remembered for the looks she stole from kylie

madonna_kylie2.jpg

3002321370_30fbf05625_o.png

What looks?

On the first look Kylie isn't inside a "Wrestling" outfit...

And on secondlook Kylie is on a Chinese Outfit while Madonna in on a Japanese Geisha Outfit.... Both Chinese and Japonese people would be deeply unpleased with those comparations you are trying to do... jesus!!! :dramatic:

Guest hot revolver

to me this is the most recent iconic pic of madge.

3132310226_0f75b94784_m.jpg

alot of these iconic photos are from earlier in her career. what do u think is the most iconic pic from the last 9 yrs?

I would say by far the TRUE BLUE album cover...

And most memorable images from her videos of course... in particular Vogue, Material Girl, Express Yourself, Open Your Heart, Hung Up and Like A Prayer...

And this one:

affiche-In-bed-with-Madonna-Madonna-Trut

...also Madonna photographed by Kees Tabak from early... and one poster from the early years where she wears a leather hat and a wool pullover... and the one picture pre Erotica where she is smoking naked in bed...

I agree that the True Blue photo is Madonna's most iconic, and the greatest photograph done by Herb Ritts. If I'm not mistaken, it is also a highly regarded photo by experts and critics and ranked alongside many enduring 20th century images like that of Horst's which the Vogue image takes its cue from. It's simply breathtaking. Madonna's beautiful facial profile is just goddess perfect and as she luxuriates with her eyes closed (perhaps stirred by a sweet memory or something in the air), we luxuriate at her. It fuses the beauty and vulnerability of the Marilyn image with that of the tough-guy rebelliousness of either Brando or James Dean. She combines different iconographies and came up with something all her own, with the aid of Ritts. Perhaps it is the more appropriate and eloquent image of Hard Candy.

This image has been such a big fave of mine that I remember I used to draw it on my notebook in class whenever I was bored as I pretended to take notes.

Runners Up:

LAV cover

BAT Cone Bra performance capture

Vogue (hands framing face)

HEALTHY

ROL cover

Madonna cover

Sex- Hitchhiking

Casa Rosada still

LAP video still (hands on bars)

Not a photograph but a real iconic moment is when she waves to the cameras in the Drowned World/NSFL video. I remember just that piece was used in an mtv video commercial mix. everytime the hairs on my arms stood up. its iconic madonna.

• 1 month later...