The Official UK Charts Thread

Guest Hafo

MA actually is the 8th most-*heard* song in the UK, as the airplay chart (like BB's Hot 100 Airplay) ranks songs by audience impressions. There may be a big difference between MA and tracks around it, in terms of spins.

Nonetheless, this No. 39 showing is disappointing. But, when was the last time M had a single released with no video in the UK? Was LP's video out when the single debuted at No. 11? I adsk, because these days, videos seem to be a bigger deal in the UK than USA.

She did her usual in the physical chart, a top 10, I think. It's just that no one bothered to download the song.

Guest superman

if only she released THE BEAT GOES ON - many young generations will download the song. a sure fire hit!! airplay, I tunes etc.....

if only she released THE BEAT GOES ON - many young generations will download the song. a sure fire hit!! airplay, I tunes etc.....

I don't think BGO would've done much better honestly. No video + no promotion = a DOA third single.

I hope MA climbs but it would be a miracle. I doubt any of the other 3rd singles from HC would have done any better incl TBGO. No8 on airplay and no39 on the single chart? Does not quite fit. The album should get some benefit from the high airplay. Some of madonna song manage top 10 Top 20 with very little airplay.

Wonder why people dont download it? Is it because it appeals to an adult market more?

One thing that shocks me is that even though HC is like the 6th best seller in the world at the moment, its at the bottom end of the top 20 in the UK and will only slip dow.....take that will outsell her, not sure about Pink, girls Aloud, Britney, Killers,

8 in the UK Airplay charts for MA....and you expect BGOto have done better? Damn its a fluke MA is so high up

:chuckle:

People, airplay in the UK is less of a factor for a single's success than in other territories. Multimedia exposure is the key these days - be it digital, video, mobile, ringtones, TV shows, YouTube, etc. There's countless examples of songs going Top 10 in airplay and not matching that position in sales. Of course, if the song doesn't connect with the public, no matter what it's done in terms of promotion won't work (cough Leon Jackson cough Will Young). I believe that a video may have helped a bit, but since Miles Away hasn't registered in the digital charts' Top 100 since it was released several weeks ago, it had no chance to go Top 20 in late November.

^Indeed

G12M got shit airplay but was a sizeable hit because of the video being in heavy rotation on the music channels. The most frustrating thing about the release of MA was that it was just so UNNECESSARY - I haven't even bought the shit.

I didn't think you'd bought anything from this era! You've declared every release this year a flop before it's even reached the chart :thumbsup:

UK Midweeks - Dec 2

Will be posted soon here once issues are resolved - digital data apparently is not registered and singles are only based on physicals.

Meanwhile, for albums...

1 Take That 133k

2 Killers 29.5k

3 Britney Spears 24.3k

4 Leona Lewis 21.2k

5 Kings Of Leon 16.6k

Top 15

Duffy

Same Difference

Top 20

Sash

Seal

Top 30

Miley Cyrus

The Script

Josh Groban

Rod Stewart

Status Quo

Top 40

Akon

Will Young

It's not accurate, sadly:

Apple have a reporting problem. no data came through for Sunday and Monday sales.

That naturally has had a huge effect for Leona who charts at 3 on what must only be other download site sales.

Leona sold nearly 30k downloads on Sunday. Safe number 1 for sure when this problem with Apple sorted.

Guest Danny86

Singles Sales (without iTunes)

01 Oasis 8.5k

02 Take That 4.5k (36 copies ahead)

03 Leona 4.5k

04 X Factor Finalists 3.7k

05 Britney 3.6k

shit airplay?

it was TOP 10 on both the airplay and sales charts.....both were proportionate...

^Indeed

G12M got shit airplay but was a sizeable hit because of the video being in heavy rotation on the music channels. The most frustrating thing about the release of MA was that it was just so UNNECESSARY - I haven't even bought the shit.

Depends on the artist and fanbase....

many artists/songs simply get nowhere because Radio 1 decide to C-List them or not play them.....Airplay is important for a lot of artists......although both Love Profusion and Drowned World hit no11 and no10 with very little airplay.

:chuckle:

People, airplay in the UK is less of a factor for a single's success than in other territories. Multimedia exposure is the key these days - be it digital, video, mobile, ringtones, TV shows, YouTube, etc. There's countless examples of songs going Top 10 in airplay and not matching that position in sales. Of course, if the song doesn't connect with the public, no matter what it's done in terms of promotion won't work (cough Leon Jackson cough Will Young). I believe that a video may have helped a bit, but since Miles Away hasn't registered in the digital charts' Top 100 since it was released several weeks ago, it had no chance to go Top 20 in late November.

Guest Danny86
although both Love Profusion and Drowned World hit no11 and no10 with very little airplay.

Pointless to compare the peaks of the pre-download era to now. "Hollywood" went to #2 but it was nowhere near as successful as "Give It 2 Me", you should know that.

Guest Danny86

Wednesday Midweeks (from Haven)

Singles

01 Leona Lewis

02 Take That

03 Britney

04 Beyonce

05 Killers

Top 10

Oasis

Top 15

Kings Of Leon (US)