The Official UK Charts Thread

Guest Hafo

Guest tassilo3001

how high is the chance that ma will climb in the charts when I look at airplay it's climbing

is airplay counting for the charts or just downloads and sales???

I think aiplay is good but the sales are very low

It's interesting that airplay really took off this week. Radio will either drop it like a stone now that the single has underperformed, or digital sales might finally kick in and see the single stick around for a while or maybe even reach a new peak position.

it will be really interesting to see what happens...anyway, where´s the album???? I mean, a top ten on the airplay chart should have helped...and,who knows, maybe the single will rise a little bit

I´m surprised with Craig david, and with Coldplay! I though the first one would be a top 20 in albums, and the new ep/ album edition of Coldlay would be top ten!

It's interesting that airplay really took off this week. Radio will either drop it like a stone now that the single has underperformed, or digital sales might finally kick in and see the single stick around for a while or maybe even reach a new peak position.

Carta you need a reality check. MA has been the 8th most played song in the last 7 days and yet only one remix has briefly troubled the lower reaches of the pop 100 on itunes in the last week.

Nothing will make this turkey fly.

There is one thing being positive but this is not the time.

Warner's were removing remix video versions of the single from youtube. You'd think they'd be grateful of the extra promotion.

Big shame this single has tanked but the whole promotion of the album was lame. A friend of mine who is really into music didn't even know she had an album out shortly after its release. It doesn't stand a chance now. Madonna should have got herself onto TV shows like with COADF, even if she did stuff by satellite.

I suppose she is just keeping a low profile from an interview point of view now. Still can't believe they didn't do a video.

GOODBYE WARNERS. YOU SUCK!

A friend of mine who is really into music didn't even know she had an album out shortly after its release.

obviously not that into music....because when HC was due - it was announced just about everywhere

Guest jammycab

This happened to Kylie as well The One - 36 :(

I think the UK public are getting bored of the veterans like M, Kylie, Mariah etc. :p

And they are being spoon fed what music they should like by the X Factor

As proven by Ruth Lorenzo getting the boot while Eoghan is still in the running!

"Miles Away" is Madonna's 68th hit since her debut "Holiday" in 1984. She has made the top 40 on 67 of those occasions with only the import of "American Life" missing out, landing at #57 in 2003. "Miles Away" is easily her lowest charting single with other smaller hits like "Borderline" having peaked once at #56 in 1984 before re-entering and climbing to #2 in 1986. She has 13 #1 singles to her name and 725 weeks on chart placing her 4th in the all-time table.

Cheers for that. Do you know the weeks for the Top 3 acts? Guessing it's Cliff, Beatles and Elvis? Or is Queen in there instead of Beatles?

And maybe Madonna can re-release Miles Away in a few years in slightly-remixed form and see if it will get Top 10 like Borderline :lmao: :lmao:

Am I right in thinking (if we presume Miles Away is the final single from HC) that...

- Hard Candy is the ONLY Madonna studio album to have only two Top Ten singles.

- Along with Erotica, the ONLY Madonna studio album to have only one Top Five single.

- The ONLY Madonna studio album to have only two videos.

DIRE.

Charties, please correct if wrong.

This happened to Kylie as well The One - 36 :(

I think the UK public are getting bored of the veterans like M, Kylie, Mariah etc. :p

And they are being spoon fed what music they should like by the X Factor

As proven by Ruth Lorenzo getting the boot while Eoghan is still in the running!

Yes, although The One's airplay had gone three weeks before they released the digital version and there was no physical release. The most pointless single release ever.

Sales last week:

Singles

70302 Take That

36737 Beyonce

17694 Same Difference (13)

13509 McFly (18)

Albums

200299 Killers

119331 Guns 'N' Roses

90138 Rhydian

85149 Leona

69087 Priests

Madonna

Miles Away 5643 (39)

Hard Candy 1259 (outside Top 200)

Carta you need a reality check. MA has been the 8th most played song in the last 7 days and yet only one remix has briefly troubled the lower reaches of the pop 100 on itunes in the last week.

Nothing will make this turkey fly.

There is one thing being positive but this is not the time.

I was speculating. Is there anything wrong with that? I find it extremely odd that the 8th most played song in the country could only manage a #39 sales peak and all I did was speculate that if radio continues to play it to that extent, maybe it could stick around longer than people expect it to as more people hear it. Chances are they'll drop it like a hot potato given its performance on the singles chart, but you never know. If it moves to #38 next week, my speculation will prove to be 100% accurate and your "reality check" comments will look a bit silly. I'm not holding my breath, though. I repeat - what's wrong with speculating? It's not as though I was talking about it leaping into the Top 10, Top 20 or even the Top 30. I merely wondered whether it might actually have some legs and stick around for a little while.

Reality check shmiality check. Did anyone expect it to leap into the Top 10 on the airplay chart this week? I doubt it.

Charties, please correct if wrong.

Madonna spawned just two UK Top 10 singles - Holiday in 1984 and Borderline in 1986. Lucky Star peaked at #14.

Guest gintonic
And maybe Madonna can re-release Miles Away in a few years in slightly-remixed form and see if it will get Top 10 like Borderline :lmao: :lmao:

Am I right in thinking (if we presume Miles Away is the final single from HC) that...

- Along with Erotica, the ONLY Madonna studio album to have only one Top Five single.

- The ONLY Madonna studio album to have only two videos.

Wrong, why need to re-release Miles Away when she could easily make 6 million (on average) per concert? :doh:

:p

Edited by gintonic

Guest gintonic
gintonic, this is the UK Charts thread.

I know but if shehe based on UK chart comparing with Erotica (different era, different methodology) I am sure I can take out of UK methodology to get her out from the cocoon of negativity to determine Madonna's failure and future.

Edited by gintonic

I was speculating. Is there anything wrong with that? I find it extremely odd that the 8th most played song in the country could only manage a #39 sales peak and all I did was speculate that if radio continues to play it to that extent, maybe it could stick around longer than people expect it to as more people hear it. Chances are they'll drop it like a hot potato given its performance on the singles chart, but you never know. If it moves to #38 next week, my speculation will prove to be 100% accurate and your "reality check" comments will look a bit silly. I'm not holding my breath, though. I repeat - what's wrong with speculating? It's not as though I was talking about it leaping into the Top 10, Top 20 or even the Top 30. I merely wondered whether it might actually have some legs and stick around for a little while.

Reality check shmiality check. Did anyone expect it to leap into the Top 10 on the airplay chart this week? I doubt it.

Yes, agree the airplay increase was totally unexpected but the only way MA could possibly climb is if the maxi CD was released. There was only the 2 track available last week. The current airplay has as you say, oddly, done nothing for the popularity of either the single or the album. I won't hold my breath either.

For god's shake, Leona Lewis has sold more that 2.150.000 albums only in the UK and she's still selling 100.000 every week! Where is she now? 7xP?!

I was on the phone with a friend from London and he told me everyone is crazy with Lewis' new single 'Run'! no1 next week? The physical is out in 2 weeks but the song hit no1 the moment it was available on i-tunes yesterday.

Guest Danny86

More sales:

SINGLES

27,855 Britney Spears (7)

ALBUMS

30,028 Beyonce (21)

11,846 Mariah Carey (53)

9,392 ABBA - Gold (63)

Physical Sales:

9,197 Take That

2,292 Madonna

Digital Albums

22,181 Killers

Year To Date Singles:

Britney Spears - Womanizer 125,817

Year To Date Albums:

Mariah Carey - The Ballads 89,876

ABBA corner:

the Mamma Mia! soundtrack album enjoys an even bigger boost, soaring 7-2 on the compilation chart, with sales up 143.9% at 46,912.

That lifts its 21 week career tally to a mighty 813,887 – but that’s way below the DVD’s startling first week sale of 3,124,459 copies, which was achieved with some massive discounting, with both Asda and Morrisons selling it for as little as £7. It helped lift video sales a huge 70.3% week-on-week to 10,873,154, some 33.18% above same week 2007 sales of 8,164,235.

Abba’s Gold album also enjoys a Mamma Mia! related boost, its sales increasing by 93.4% week-on-week to 9,392 copies, as it climbs 67-63.

I wonder how Britney is going to do in the albums chart? For sure she isnt gonna get number 1, we all know who is going to top the charts next week. even the Killers may sell more than Britney...

Did Blackout ever reached platinum status?

Guest Danny86

^Britney could end up anywhere, her albums never open big but this time she did some promo. I think Blackout sold around 200k.

iTunes popularity bars:

popularitybarem0.jpg

For god's shake, Leona Lewis has sold more that 2.150.000 albums only in the UK and she's still selling 100.000 every week! Where is she now? 7xP?!

I was on the phone with a friend from London and he told me everyone is crazy with Lewis' new single 'Run'! no1 next week? The physical is out in 2 weeks but the song hit no1 the moment it was available on i-tunes yesterday.

Well i'm not crazy for it, i think it's shit

Guest tassilo3001

has in uk just been released a 2 track from miles away???

here in germany have been released 2 versions a 2 track and the full maxi cd with the radio version and 3 remixes

so I hope and pray that ma will enter the top 10

It would be the first time in her carrer that the first 3 singles from an album came into top 10

true blue hat 3 top 10 (papa,truer and la isla) but l. to tell and open dind't make the top 10

4M is close to 425K. It has a good chance to be Top 10 by the end of the year, unless Leona, Take That and the X Factor winner have massive sales.