US Chart Talk: 5/17/08 Charts

horn

Guest Bad Robot

There are a lot of theories that the success of 4M is because it is appealing to casual fans and not the hardcore fans so much. I wonder if something similar is happening with the album, where the hardcore fans aren't as into it, but perhaps the long-term sales will be stronger as casual fans are less likely to buy it opening week.

That said, it's probably a decent bet that the album will drop at least 50% in week 2, as is standard for major releases. If she sells around 120k next week, I wonder if that would be good enough to stay at #1?

There are a lot of theories that the success of 4M is because it is appealing to casual fans and not the hardcore fans so much. I wonder if something similar is happening with the album, where the hardcore fans aren't as into it, but perhaps the long-term sales will be stronger as casual fans are less likely to buy it opening week.

That said, it's probably a decent bet that the album will drop at least 50% in week 2, as is standard for major releases. If she sells around 120k next week, I wonder if that would be good enough to stay at #1?

We have to see Leona's sales too about the no1.. Leona passed Mariah this week! That was the most shocking!

These two are releasing albums this week with their previous opening numbers:

Gay Aiken - 211k

Toby Keith - 204k - edited with correct number

I think 4M is a hit with everyone because it's a good commercial song. I don't think it's more complicated than that.

On the other hand I'm afraid the album has left hard-core AND casual fans ambivalent. It didn't generate curiosity like COADF, it didn't make fans worship it like ROL or LAP, it didn't polarize audiences like Erotica, it doesn't have a strong political statement like AL, ... i think it's just missing that "something" we've always come to expect from a new Madonna record. It's a good record though.

So given the circumstances 280K first week is quite an accomplishment. I'm happy with it.

Guest Hafo

From HDD:

MADONNA’S CANDY CAN DO

Hall of Famer’s Final WB Album Debuts at #1, Lyfe Jennings, The Roots, Def Leppard, Portishead and Mudcrutch Also Bow in Top 10

May 6, 2008

For Madonna, it’s once more with feeling.

The Material Gal’s final studio recording for Warner Bros., Hard Candy, debuts at #1 on this week’s HITS Album Sales chart, with 282k for the critically-acclaimed disc.

A good number of those buying 4M may not be interested in a Madonan album, though- at least not yet.

I mean, look at those hip-hop tracks that sell bucketloads, and then the albums don't do much of anything. Madge is still in the game, commercially- now, the album just needs to outscan AL and all will be good. :)

Guest socalboy1984
A good number of those buying 4M may not be interested in a Madonan album, though- at least not yet.

I mean, look at those hip-hop tracks that sell bucketloads, and then the albums don't do much of anything. Madge is still in the game, commercially- now, the album just needs to outscan AL and all will be good. :)

Most important thing, is she's cool again. And kids get her. They just need 3 or 4 more hit singles to justify an album purchase.

Guest Topaz Scorpio

Let's remember who M's partners are on "4 Minutes". THEY could be the reason the single has sold bucketloads. It would certainly explain the disconnect between single sales and album sales.

Well these #s arent huge, but its a respectable opening. Next time maybe the twit will at least do SOME large scale promo though. Ellen, Oprah, Letterman ect. I just want it to scan passed 1 million and I will be happy. Artists with mega hits these days can hardly make it passed the million mark at this point. It all depends if the others singles click. I agree that if she releases at least 2 more songs that make a decent showing, more people will buy the album and hop on board.

Guest jamesshot
Most important thing, is she's cool again. And kids get her. They just need 3 or 4 more hit singles to justify an album purchase.

I agree. She is cool again to a wider audience. People started thinking she was cool again with Confessions. She recouped a lot of lost reputation with the album. With 4M being a megasmash and HC hitting #1, its all good. Now, like everyone has said, lets gets a few more hits. I will be content with 2 more top 10's.

4M is a hit because it appeals to non-standard madonna fans... and they don't mind buying a single.

however, 4M doesn't really appeal to many of madonna's core audience, and, so... they haven't shown up to buy the album yet.

i think GI2M will change that... and bring out madonna's peeps... because it sounds like a madonna song... a GREAT madonna song. :D

my hope is that this album performs something like Bedtime Stories. it started off kind of slow... but TAB kept it alive for many months... and it eventually passed 2 million.

The more I think about it, it seems like GI2M is the perfect 2nd single to appeal to her regular fans. Among her hardcore fans that have heard it, it seems to be hailed as one of her best. I didnt think it was a good choice for a 2nd single but viewed from this angle I can see why she is doing it that way.

does anyone remember what COAD sold its first week worldwide?

I think 1.3 or 1.2 million. Dont forget it was holiday season also.

I think 1.3 or 1.2 million. Dont forget it was holiday season also.

i thought it was about 1.3 million. since it sold 350k in the US it sold about 950k outside of the US. cool! thanks Skin :D

Ok, so 282K is doable.

Not Great.

Still very perplexed why COAD dropped with more sales?

I dont recall promotions for COAD? did she have any ? and HU was NOT big @ all !

My excitement for 4M being a HUGE radio hit is totally dulled by the lackluster opening of this CD.

Im truly shocked and saddened that HC did NOT reap the benefit of a MONSTER HIT>

...its going to be a while b/4 anonther hit like 4m comes around!

Ok, so 282K is doable.

Not Great.

Still very perplexed why COAD dropped with more sales?

I dont recall promotions for COAD? did she have any ? and HU was NOT big @ all !

My excitement for 4M being a HUGE radio hit is totally dulled by the lackluster opening of this CD.

Im truly shocked and saddened that HC did NOT reap the benefit of a MONSTER HIT>

...its going to be a while b/4 anonther hit like 4m comes around!

Holidays. And I think she at least did Dateline or something right? I know she did Letterman.

Guest kramm
We have to see Leona's sales too about the no1.. Leona passed Mariah this week! That was the most shocking!

she did? on the album chart? unless i forgot how to count or something.....

1 2 MARIAH CAREY ISLAND/IDJMG 87,068 -51%

E=MC2

2 3 LEONA LEWIS J RECORDS/RMG 81,803 -17%

SPIRIT

I was deleting some of the posts as well.

Look, this is not about censoring people's opinions, but some of you don't seem to understand that there are a lot of other people reading these threads and trying to get information who aren't necessarily replying to them. Feel free to post if you have something substantive to say, but if all you have to add is "FLOP!" or something way off-topic or some frowny face with no context, you're just creating board "pollution." People complain constantly to thebigham and I about the state of the Charts forum, how it's out of control, how all these threads are about 99% people freaking out and overreacting and bashing some other artist or going way off the topic, and it seems like only about 1% are actually people making relevant comments or analysis, or providing legitimate facts.

The handful of you who like to chime in constantly with the random negative comments may enjoy wading through all of them but the majority of people reading this forum do not. Many people have simply stopped visiting this forum altogether they find it so frustrating to get actual information or to read any sort of meaningful discussion.

Do you have a reasoned opinion or analysis or question or some other positive contribution? Then please do post!

Do you just want to chime in with a "FLOP!" or bash another artist or just post to get your post count up? Then keep it to yourself, it's not relevant.

Also, do a little studying to understand what "abuse of power" means. This is not a democracy, we have admins who have been specifically asked to keep things organized, to prevent fights, to make sure comments are on topic, and to make it easier for *everyone* to read the forum and participate.

The vast majority of people who participate here keep are positive members, but please respect the admins, and if you have an issue with them, bring it up privately or take it to the forum news/suggestions board.

This is the end of the discussion on this, thebigham and I are just going to delete posts that aren't on topic or substantive.

A BIG THANK YOU darling!!!!! :horn:

she did? on the album chart? unless i forgot how to count or something.....

1 2 MARIAH CAREY ISLAND/IDJMG 87,068 -51%

E=MC2

2 3 LEONA LEWIS J RECORDS/RMG 81,803 -17%

SPIRIT

oh sorry.. Leona was ahead.. I didn't see the final though:S

Guest kramm
oh sorry.. Leona was ahead.. I didn't see the final though:S

tsk tsk... next time check first. :wink:

Guest bluejean
Let's remember who M's partners are on "4 Minutes". THEY could be the reason the single has sold bucketloads. It would certainly explain the disconnect between single sales and album sales.

Exactly.

And the trend for the younger audience is quickly becoming to buy individual songs rather than full albums.

Despite sales of the single, there has been much wider exposure for Mariah and her song/s on radio and in promotion. And the difference between their 1st week sales is not really that huge anyway.

Coadf had a better debut but not even the big tour arrested its decline. Slowly, but it lost places constantly in the hot 200. HC has potential to remain more weeks in the chart and above all now she has airplay. Let's wait and see.

282K isn't that bad for first weeks sales, considering that Mariah gets much more airplay in the U.S.

The question is: can HARD CANDY do better in the U.S than COADF? It'll depend on what singles are released next

yes, maybe 4 M it´s a really big hit for the casual fans (and because of justina), but on the other hand, that "Madonna goes Hip-Hop" thing I think it´s not helpinh her: she should go to tv shows and sing some of the songs to show the people that it´s a regular madonna album

by the way, arent Hit dayly´s numbers usually lower than the ones for SS?

it's actually the other way around.. expect SS numbers to be lower... around 270k maybe...

at least it beat their measly 225k-250k prediction