US Chart Talk: 5/17/08 Charts

horn

wait, madonnas only sold 120,000 copies so far? :manson:

It's at 45% :bruised: it may end up selling 264,000 copies by 100%.

Guest Madlover033003
It's at 45% :bruised: it may end up selling 264,000 copies by 100%.

with 45% tallied, so she should do more than double that number.

oh thats good. i think this will be a huge album despite the first week numbers. she just has to release consistent catchy(iest) singles.

In all honesty, people who were saying 400K or above were as optimistic as those thinking Mimi would do 600K or more. "4 Minutes" isa big sales hit, but a lot of those buyers may not be interested in Madonna's album.

Remember, too, that American Life wasa follow-up to an album that did 3 million in the USA- so, regardless of the fact that the AL track was a dud, it still was coming off a pretty successful album. COADF scanned 1.2m+ less than Music, keep in mind.

For Madonna to be pulling in the debut numbers she does- 25 years into her career- that is impressive. She's still a commercial player.

The key will be for HC to improve upon American Life's to-date sales. I doubt it will reach COADF-like numbers.

Guest Madlover033003

she just needs to release good singles. this way, after say, the third single, there maybe non-fans who'll say "hey, i like all those songs...let me just buy the album." like fergie. nobody really wanted to buy the album just for London Bridge but after 5 singles, its sold over 5 million!

Really...How is this doing American Life numbers!? I really dont get it. I know the market is down, but geesh.

I don't think American Life's first weeks sales were terrible, the album just PLUMMETED off the charts right after, which is what killed it. Hopefully HC will stick around for a bit.

she just needs to release good singles. this way, after say, the third single, there maybe non-fans who'll say "hey, i like all those songs...let me just buy the album." like fergie. nobody really wanted to buy the album just for London Bridge but after 5 singles, its sold over 5 million!

Barely 4 million.

Thats what I was thinking. At least 4 Minutes got a whole new group of eyes on Madonna and its up to the following singles to clentch the deal with them to put down cash to buy the album. Unlike American Life which seemed like an obvious album that would fade into oblivion, this album has too much potential to take the same path. We shall see though.

Right. I think this can happen here too because it's a good album. 4M selling so well makes me think there's a lot of people interested in that song that don't want to buy a Madonna album (and they would be right because the rest of the album does not sound like it). I don't really remember but I'm gonna guess Take A Bow was similar- big single for a different audience that didn't translate much in the album department. If Madonna promotes 2nd single and US radio plays it, it will go a long way in making this album sell over time.

Bedtime Stories had progressed 3-7-16-24-33, and then "Take a Bow" boosted the album back up the charts, and it enjoyed a decent run (25 total weeks in the top 40). So, "Secret," while a hit, wasn't selling the album.

I remember CLEAR as bell, even 5 yrs later like its 5 min ago the verbal slaughtering stations like Z-100 etc etc..were giving the single American Life. The hype was HUGE, fresh off of "Music", and Top 10 DAD, w/ every station everywhere givin the 1st new single similar instant interest to M songs of the 80s in a way. Most huge radio stations were all over spinnin this new single, until they HEARD IT! lol Those 1st few days (maximum) there were TONS of spins but it was such an instant disaster of a M song which seemed to die overnight, video, era.. to sooo many people etc. like never before, that its unfair to compare to AL scenerio to the day and night success of 4M! W/ AL nothing worked. Jinxed over night from conception!

lol. True, AL came right off of a huge album, so obvioulsy her fans and some casual fans were like 80-90% of the people who made up that 1st week #, but cause the single so blatantly bombed and got dissed acorss the board was why AL took one helluva painful bellyflop down the charts :(. In 2008, w/ AL as a 1st single, the album probably wouldnt have even have sold Discipline #s lol. Maybe it wouldve sold 150k. 250k or so, not great but *not bad/a flop* It all bout 1 month from now. This cant possibly go DOA like Amer Life. it just cant lol.

This cant possibly go DOA like Amer Life. it just cant lol.

And I would have to agree. AL was gone from the airwaves by the time AL was released. 4 Minutes is still growing and has yet to see any kind of decline. So that should be looked at as a positive.

Dead on arrival.

Oh thank you :rosey:

I hate this contractions :dramatic:

AL wasn't gone from the airwaves when the album was released. It peaked at No. 61 Hot 100 Airplay, and was still registering not all that far off from its audience peak. It did, however, then pretty much drop like a stone after the album was released.

AL wasn't gone from the airwaves when the album was released. It peaked at No. 61 Hot 100 Airplay, and was still registering not all that far off from its audience peak. It did, however, then pretty much drop like a stone after the album was released.

Oh. All I know is I heard it played tons the first day and then right after that, nothing. It was like it was yanked right off the bat. The only time I heard it was on KTU, and they only played the remix.

Guest socalboy1984
Toby ain't gonna be #1.

and Clay's fanbase has eroded over the years. What do you think about HC's chances at a second week at #1?

And please don't use that 'it's spring!!' excuse! It's spring everywhere and her album in europe became gold in just a few hours! Is it Christmas here or something and we don't know it? Just tell me... And the sound of the first single is not popular at all, she didn't do promo in Europe either! All those things are excuses!!!

DAHLIN: IN USA THE SEASON IS EVERYTHING. PEOPLE IN USA STILL BELIEVE IN SANTA. ADD 100.000 COPIES TO THE TOTAL, IF RELEASED IN HOLIDAY SEASON.

ILL WIPE MY ASS WITH YOUR GOLD. SALES WOULD BE DIAMOND IN EUROPE TOO (HINT KYLIES X DID BETTER IN UK FOR CHRIST SAKE).

and Clay's fanbase has eroded over the years. What do you think about HC's chances at a second week at #1?

her gayness had 211k as her previous opener...

are you sure, he last opened with 435K sales with his last release

No, he didn't.

Toby Keith's last studio album debuted at #1 in June 2007 with 204,000.

It left the chart in January after selling a disappointing 646k.

Keith has 3 GH albums:

Greatest Hits, Volume 1 2xp

20th Century Masters Gold

Greatest Hits 2 3xp

Prices:

Target: $13.98

Best Buy: $14.99

Circuit City: $11.99

I think definitely less than 100k. Maybe 70k?

In all honesty, people who were saying 400K or above were as optimistic as those thinking Mimi would do 600K or more. "4 Minutes" isa big sales hit, but a lot of those buyers may not be interested in Madonna's album.

Remember, too, that American Life wasa follow-up to an album that did 3 million in the USA- so, regardless of the fact that the AL track was a dud, it still was coming off a pretty successful album. COADF scanned 1.2m+ less than Music, keep in mind.

For Madonna to be pulling in the debut numbers she does- 25 years into her career- that is impressive. She's still a commercial player.

The key will be for HC to improve upon American Life's to-date sales. I doubt it will reach COADF-like numbers.

Oh god, HG, if we go to that route --were screwed!

I so agree with you . Hard Candy will NOT sell 2x platinum. Having said that, I cant say Im forecasting the future- No one can !

However, the odds are we will have to be content with another 1 x platinum CD and never again see it recertied 2X platinum for maybe 100 years.

Im really very disappointed with the numbers. I was expecting bigger opening. The market is dead-so what!

A Madonna Album is always an event. Gosh has her fanbase decreased that much. ?

4M has clobbered HU on airplay. And the CD cant benefit the reward. A vain and useless HIT , it seems.

Hopefully, the aftermath will be appreciated next week.

Market dead or Not- 4M should have benefited HC- by much much more.

A 300K CD (with a monster hit) is NOT outstanding for M. But its satisfactory!

(thats if we see that figure-I feel more like 250k~yuk)

Sorry but the market is not dead. It's the lack of promotion that Madonna has done with this CD. One promo gig is not going to make it sell. Sitting down and chatting with the BET crowd is not going to make it sell, she may be targeting that audience but that is not her demographic that she needs to target.

Madonna should have sat down with Ellen instead and performed one song, she should have sat down with Oprah and sang two songs. I honestly don't know what she is thinking, she is an established icon but she still needs to get her name out.

the market was eroding from 2003 to 2005 too. but COADF managed to sell more than AL. there is clearly a problem in marketing. the album has to sell at least 300,000-350,000 after the succes of 4 Minutes. as i wrote here before i think both WBR and Madonna are doing half ass job promoting the album since this is their last one.