The Official UK Charts Thread

Guest Hafo

There has just been an article on GMTV about Madonna topping the album charts again. It was very positive. They went into a record store

and spoke to some members of the public about why Madonna continues to remain so successful.

Guest Hafo

4M was again #1 in the UK download chart last week, and it's still #1 in iTunes with a decent margin over Wiley (on top of the album version charting at 38). If Wiley's physicals are not strong, then 4M may have another week at the top. Coldplay is nowhere to be seen on iTunes yet.

There has just been an article on GMTV about Madonna topping the album charts again. It was very positive. They went into a record store

and spoke to some members of the public about why Madonna continues to remain so successful.

I caught the earlier version of it and they had some guy from the NME on, commenting about it. Of course they had to tag POOR BRAVE SICK Kylie onto the end of the report suggesting that she would be next to do it. :rolleyes: The guy from the NME said she might be in with a change in the UK but Madonna is a GLOBAL PHENOMENON and there would be no one of her kind again.

In My Arse has FLOPPED in Australia one of her biggest markets, its #35.

The LOONS at Togerland are claiming it performed poorly because

Hardly surprising, it was a fan release :lmao:

Apparently digital sales let it down. :lmao:

In My Arms is a GOOD song! I dont think peopler know its out...

and people also just download for free these days. :lmao:

How are they coping with the fact that Madonna's done the DOUBLE in Australia too. :lmao:

I caught the earlier version of it and they had some guy from the NME on, commenting about it. Of course they had to tag POOR BRAVE SICK Kylie onto the end of the report suggesting that she would be next to do it. :rolleyes: The guy from the NME said she might be in with a change in the UK but Madonna is a GLOBAL PHENOMENON and there would be no one of her kind again.

On a later GMTV report they had their *entertainment* reporter on. He said he had listened to

the album and wasn't feeling any of the tracks on 1st listen apart from 4mins. He said the album

maybe a grower....

Love also how GMTV are comparing Kylie's tour opening night to Madges promo show in Paris.

The Mirror have commented to, "Kylie had better have something spectacular up her sleeve when she kicks off at the Bercy Arena, as Madge is limbering up for quite a fight"

On a later GMTV report they had their *entertainment* reporter on. He said he had listened to

the album and wasn't feeling any of the tracks on 1st listen apart from 4mins. He said the album

maybe a grower....

He has a point though, the album took a while to grow on me and I'm still only convinced by two thirds of it.

Love also how GMTV are comparing Kylie's tour opening night to Madges promo show in Paris.

The Mirror have commented to, "Kylie had better have something spectacular up her sleeve when she kicks off at the Bercy Arena, as Madge is limbering up for quite a fight"

Madonna taking a DUMP in her hotel suite would be more of a performance than anything Kylie could muster.

Oh and I *love* the fact that Madonna has done the double without any promo - it must KILL the Kylie loons. :lmao:

I saw the GMTV thing too but my sound was off as I was laying in bed :lol:

They seem to be positive lately, they showed the full 4 minutes video too when it first came out. I didn't know they started premiering videos? Or maybe they showed it in full just because its Madonna.

Edited by billiejean

Only 95k????

So, Hard Candy sold 122k less than COAD(217k).

I'm worried because Hard Candy is having awful sales in every country.

In UKmix Forum they told Madonna hard candy sold around 95.000 in Uk , poor sales :thumbsdown:

Why poor? It is ok for the Uk promotion she did so far. 4M started from #7 and 17k, after 7 weeks it is still at #1 with 50k. A new number one is never "poor"!

Guest tir69

I think the reason is that this album in not so easy at the first listen ( I'm talking about a casual buyer ) like Coadf.

In my opinion songs like Miles away, Devil, Give it to me and Heartbeat can give longevity chart run to this album.

Guest tir69
Why poor? It is ok for the Uk promotion she did so far. 4M started from #7 and 17k, after 7 weeks it is still at #1 with 50k. A new number one is never "poor"!

I'm talking about the number of copies sold, I'm happy to see her again at nr 1 , I think this album needs time to became huges in sales.

Madonna scoops the double

10:19 | Tuesday May 6, 2008

By Alan Jones

Having left her female competitors behind, Madonna is now closing on Presley and The Beatles in the overall list of artists with most number one albums, securing the 10th of her career with Hard Candy, which races to pole position this week. Presley has had 11 number one albums, and The Beatles 15.

The bad news is that Hard Candy’s first week sales of 94,655 are less than half the terrific career best 217,610 opening week posted by her last studio album, Confessions On A Dance Floor in 2005. More positively, Hard Candy is only the second artist album to post a sales tally of more than 90,000 so far in 2008, trailing only the 183,874 first week tally, and second week 97,645 scored by Duffy’s Rockferry in March.

Hard Candy’s efforts helped overall album sales last week to improve by 9.8% to 2,004,380, providing a modicum of relief for the retail sector, following the previous week’s total of just 1,825,428 sales – the lowest for 54 weeks, and the sixth lowest tally in 382 chart weeks in the 21st century.

Consistency is their key but Portishead have yet to unlock the door to the top of the chart. Their Third studio album – that’s its name and position in their canon – debuts at number two behind Madonna, matching the peak positions of their 1994 debut Dummy and their eponymous 1997 follow-up, which were blocked from reaching number one by Wet Wet Wet and The Verve, respectively. Third sold 46,425 copies last week, fewer than the 60,364 who bought Portishead on its first week but way more than the 2,501 whose purchases secured Dummy a number 32 debut, 34 weeks before it reached number two.

Introductory single Black & Gold is number two for the third time, and 23 year old Australian newcomer Sam Sparro swoops to secure a high perch on the album chart with his self-titled debut entering at number five on sales of 24,153, the album is helped by sell a price tag as low as £6.97 in some high street retail outlets, though it is driven by the success of Black & Gold, which has so far sold 172,174 copies, including 29,970 last week.

Mark E.Smith’s legendary band The Fall, so beloved of the late John Peel, have fallen short of the Top 75 with their last 10 albums, though the most recent, 2007’s Reformation Post-TLC came close, peaking at number 78. New album Imperial Wax Solvent, recorded with a new, all-British line-up, returns the band to the chart convincingly this week, debuting at number 35 on sales of 4,293 copies. It is their 16th Top 75 entry, their first in 12 years, and their highest charting album since 1993, when Infotainment Scan reached number nine.

With her Justin Timberlake collaboration 4 Minutes topping the singles chart for the third week in a row (38,965 sales) while Hard Candy steamrolls to the top of the album chart, Madonna finds herself in a familiar position, topping the singles and albums rankings at the same time. Eight other female artists have had simultaneous chart-toppers. All achieved it just once, but Madonna has now done it four times.

Madonna turns 50 in August, and first did the double as a 27 year old in July 1986, when Papa Don’t Preach and True Blue parked together at the summit for three weeks, and repeated the feat in April 1989 with the album Like A Prayer and its title track sharing a two week monopoly. Most recently, in November 2005, Hung Up and Confessions On A Dance Floor also endured for a fortnight.

Available physically as of today, Wiley’s Wearing My Rolex is handily-placed to jump to number one. The 29 year old Bow boy’s first Top 10 hit moves 4-3, with downloads increasing 8.4% week-on-week to 27,343.

For the first time ever, urban and dance tracks occupy the top nine slots – only Scouting For Girls Heartbeat – number 10 for the second week in a row - prevents an historic rock/pop Top 10 shutout.

One of the tracks making that historic Top 10 possible is Propane Nightmares by UK-based, Australian drum & bass giants Pendulum. Following physical release on CD and 12-inch, the track leaps 16-9 on sales of 11,614. It debuts at number one on the 12-inch chart, where it dethrones Cry For You by September but even a formerly core vinyl genre like drum and bass sells largely in digital form these days, and Propane Nightmares sold just 254 copies on vinyl.

Meanwhile, the youngest band in the chart, One Night Only, claim pole position on the 7-inch chart, with their third single, It’s About Time. The Yorkshire quintet, all in their teens, sold 1,340 copies of It’s About Time on 7-inch last week, but overall sales of the track, including CD and downloads, of 3,949, were enough only for the song to secure a number 37 debut. One Night Only’s debut album, Started A Fire, enjoys a major resurgence this week, and matches that placing, rising 71-37 on sales up 89.3% to 4,237.

A lot of people in other forums is saying that HARD CANDY is in the way of a flop like AMERICAN LIFE, which is awful.

Hard Candy is only the second artist album to post a sales tally of more than 90,000 so far in 2008, trailing only the 183,874 first week tally, and second week 97,645 scored by Duffy’s Rockferry in March.

Hard Candy’s efforts helped overall album sales last week to improve by 9.8% to 2,004,380, providing a modicum of relief for the retail sector, following the previous week’s total of just 1,825,428 sales – the lowest for 54 weeks, and the sixth lowest tally in 382 chart weeks in the 21st century.

Damn, albums sale are fucking low; and they keep on descending….

Most record stores in my area have closed down in the last year or so.

A lot of people in other forums is saying that HARD CANDY is in the way of a flop like AMERICAN LIFE, which is awful.

I think it is too soon for anyone to make that claim. After all, the good thing about Hard Candy is that it does have some very strong singles on it (which is more than I can say for American Life). There is still hope. Also, with Madonna touring in the fall through the holiday shopping season, Hard Candy may yet have the "second act" that American Life never did.

Also, her debut numbers so far (in virtually every country) are far higher than American Life's opening numbers.

Guest Hafo

MIDWEEKS - May 6

Singles

1 Madonna

2 Sam Sparro

3 Wiley

4 Will I Am

5 Estelle

Top 15

Kylie Minogue

Top 20

Kelly Rowland

Nelly

Gabriella Cilmi

Duffy

Top 30

Girls Aloud

Top 40

James Fox

Panic At The Disco

Wideboys

Rihanna (re-entry)

Albums

1 Madonna

2 Scooter

3 Duffy

4 Def Leppard

5 Sam Sparro

Top 10

Hadouken!

Top 20

Delays

Jack McManus

Top 30

One Night Only

Steve Winwood

Top 40

Willie Nelson

Feeling

Kylie Minogue

Mark Ronson

Bob Marley

Robert Plant

Scooter at #2 in the UK :lol: ???

and YAY at Madonna heading for a 2nd week at top with the album and maybe even one more week at #1 with 4 Minutes... how many weeks would that be for 4M on #1 now!??!?

FFS - the sales are GREAT considering she's done NO promotion in the UK, it hasn't been advertised on TV even and she's on course for her second week at number 1. To compare it to COADF's first week sales is RIDICULOUS, not just because of the seasonal factor but as the Alan Jones article points out, that was the best opening of her entire career. If Warners get the strategy right, HC should sell steadily and they'll do a big push on it at the end of the year, with the fourth single. How do it's opening week sales compare to those of X?

Great to see she looks like doing the double for a second week and the 4 Minutes could be up there with ITG and Vogue in terms of weeks at number 1.