Pop's Greatest Female Artists (The Telegraph)

Guest HaveASit

MS ROSS best be on the list just for LOVE HANGOVER. And her non musical exploits like driving back her videos to blockbuster wasted

Marilyn AGOG

tina turner is way too high? what do you mean - her influence is still seen everywhere today. just because shes in her 70's doesnt erase everything she brought to to the table. this is a woman who was able to fill stadiums.

is diana ross on that list or have they completely abolished her?

Her influence is high for sure (Beyonce) but I really dislike her 80s work which filled those stadiums, just not a fan of her voice. Miss Ross should've been in there. At least The Beast was snubbed.

tina turner is way too high? what do you mean - her influence is still seen everywhere today. just because shes in her 70's doesnt erase everything she brought to to the table. this is a woman who was able to fill stadiums.

is diana ross on that list or have they completely abolished her?

tina is so irrelevant its sad. she's not underrated, but no one seems to give her some credit these days. beyonce took everything from MJ and especially tina. if she would announce a stadium tour she'd sell out in europe

Wasn't expecting anything less

18. Joni Mitchell

The greatest female singer-songwriter of all time, a woman who can sit at the high table with Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen and Paul Simon. The dense complexity of her poetic lyrics and jazz infused musicality sometimes keeps popular acclaim at bay, but her influence resonates in the thorny brilliance of today’s finest female writers, PJ Harvey and Laura Marling.

a woman who can sit at the high table (with a man)

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Yes and along with that she's also a brilliant lyricist, melody creator, producer and visual artist who has enriched her medium and evolved through the years. As attested by the people who have worked with her and even by serious music critics, many times

Anyone who after 32 years is still bent on purporting this idea of Madonna as a mere image-maker or window dresser is an obtuse or a downright idiot who hates the person most likely, not the music, if they listend to the music at all

dead on balls as usual, xxl!!

tina is so irrelevant its sad. she's not underrated, but no one seems to give her some credit these days. beyonce took everything from MJ and especially tina. if she would announce a stadium tour she'd sell out in europe

This so off the mark. Beyoncé has repeatedly lavished praise upon Tina Turner. Jesus, she even performed with her at the Grammy's. She's an iconic singer and performer that will never fall into irrelevancy.

Good lord. That's like saying Gaga or Swift "took everything" from Madonna.

Erm Didn't Gaga steal everything from Madonna?

:lmao:

She also took things Madonna did and "added on" to them. For example. Not just a cone bra.....but a cone bra that shoots fireworks! And trying to kiss Britney wasn't enough (something Madonna had already done of course) so she tried to do it......dressed as a man! Edgy!

Fucking pathetic fat bitch.

Stopped reading that list when they compared Goober to Elvis WTF. Also where the fuck is Janet

18. Joni Mitchell

The greatest female singer-songwriter of all time, a woman who can sit at the high table with Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen and Paul Simon. The dense complexity of her poetic lyrics and jazz infused musicality sometimes keeps popular acclaim at bay, but her influence resonates in the thorny brilliance of todays finest female writers, PJ Harvey and Laura Marling.

PJH took NOTHING from Mitchell. And just cuz Laura Marling is folk doesn't mean she did either.

This so off the mark. Beyoncé has repeatedly lavished praise upon Tina Turner. Jesus, she even performed with her at the Grammy's. She's an iconic singer and performer that will never fall into irrelevancy.

Good lord. That's like saying Gaga or Swift "took everything" from Madonna.

are you misunderstanding me? I said tina turner doesn't get a lot of credit. i don't mean from beyonce (no idea what she says about her) but the media. i rarely hear people talk about tina these days

are you misunderstanding me? I said tina turner doesn't get a lot of credit. i don't mean from beyonce (no idea what she says about her) but the media. i rarely hear people talk about tina these days

People don't talk about Tina Turner now because she hasn't released an album or toured in a long time. When she did tour, she got a lot of praise.

PJH took NOTHING from Mitchell. And just cuz Laura Marling is folk doesn't mean she did either.

Exactly. That was why I was saying I don't like these lists of female artists. They always compare female artists who have nothing in common.

I guess maybe they are saying PJ Harvey and Joni Mitchell both write deeper more literary sometimes confrontational lyrics, certainly not their style of music. but Joni Mitchell doesn't have a trademark on writing good lyrics.

I did misunderstand you then. It sounded as if you were saying she was irrelevant to the point where she's not influential. I don't think the media needs to make it clear that Tina was a musical force of nature. Current pop stars have certainly given credit to her where credit was due.

Edited by KalamazooJay

So brit oriented this list... Well at least people know more about Spice Girls than Kate Bush outside England.

Lady Gaga as Elvis??? In which planet a hideous looking pop tart is anywhere near to being similar to one of the most attractive singers ever. So rubbish this shit...