What if I'm addicted was the LEAD single?

drunkbysix

MASTERPIECE: pre-album single Fall 2011

+

BEAUTIFUL KILLER: lead single

+

LOVE SPENT: second single

+

I'M ADDICTED: third single

=

MULTI-PLATINUM ALBUM

Sorry, that's just how it is. They really screwed up.

ok. come and marry me. because that's exactly my choice.

If she were gonna go balls to the wall and not care about commercial success at all, THEN I would say IA (or GB) could've been first or second single.....followed by LS and FF. In this scenario I could see BK being a single. Otherwise, I agree with bluejean....I like BK but it's missing SOMETHING to take it over that edge into CLASSIC Madonna song territory.

In a perfect world she would've milked the very radio friendly Hard Candy album of all it's potential singles....and there were many on that album. Unlike MDNA, the best material on that album was single worthy. Then by the time MDNA rolled around she could've went in the OTHER direction and not be so concerned with releasing the "right" singles that would necessarily be hits. Take a Bedtime Story/Human Nature approach to ALL the single releases from the album. I can totally see why they released the singles they did, but it would've been SO interesting to see her go the other direction in her single choices. The dark of MDNA is very dark....probably the darkest she's ever been.....the light though, is very very light and fluffy.

It was kind of dissappointing that M chose to go on a different route and released all the fillers from MDNA. This albums has so many hidden gems. MDNA era could have been so much different with I'm Addicted followed by GB and LS. Sigh.

Several of you mentioned LS as one of the songs that should have been a single.I like that song,but it doesn't sound like a "single" to me.I don't think it would made much impact as a single.

Several of you mentioned LS as one of the songs that should have been a single.I like that song,but it doesn't sound like a "single" to me.I don't think it would made much impact as a single.

+1

Guest bluejean

Totally agree.

Do we agree that MDNA has no proper single? I think it's the first Madonna album without a killer song on it. Even HC had one or two killer ones.

I disagree with you.

ANd I think 4 minutes was her WORST 1st single, to date.

At this point Madonna's singles shouldn't be released to have commercial success but to represent the album and I think I'm Addicted and Gang Bang would've accomplished that task properly.

At this point Madonna's singles shouldn't be released to have commercial success but to represent the album and I think I'm Addicted and Gang Bang would've accomplished that task properly.

If it wasn't coincide with superbowl, I'm Addicted would have been a lead single, not the strong one though ;(

Too dancey, too druggy. People will find shit to say about it.

If it wasn't coincide with superbowl, I'm Addicted would have been a lead single, not the strong one though ;(

Too dancey, too druggy. People will find shit to say about it.

The more controversy the better, I mean it wouldn't have been an AL situation either or nipplegate for that matter.

The perfect lead single would have been Girl Gone Wild. Whether or not you think it's generic, a stellar performance at the Superbowl would having everyone saying "She made it her own" in the same way people talk about the tour performance. It's catchy enough and was current enough to make more of an impact than GMAYL did.

But I'm fine with the way things panned out in reality, so whatevs.

Guest Fukujima

Although i love I'm Addicted i don't think it would have worked better as a first single, it doesn't sound powerful enough to appeal to radios and non-fans.

I Don't Give A on the other end... :blush::inlove:

Madonna could have used Mastepiece to promote her movie and Give Me All Your Luvin was perfect for the Superbowl.

The lead single to promote the album should have been Love Spent followed by I'm Addicted. After those two the third single is a couple possibilities. Turn Up the radio most likely.

It's hard to guess how casual to non fans would have received the songs because the album itself was not promoted. She is not gonna get any help from the media without her direct involvement. I can't imagine one radio show or television show that wouldn't have had her on as a guest.

I agree, Masterpiece really was a missed opportunity to build hype for her film and MDNA, considering how popular it was in the UK and most of Europe - wasn't it like the most played song in Russia or something?

I'm Addicted would be the perfect lead single, it kind of fits with the theme of the album name, and is probably one of the strongest songs on the album along with Gang Bang.

Hmm I'm not sure it would have been a hit. It's one of the best songs on MDNA for sure but it wouldn't have worked for the Superbowl IMO.

In a parallel universe, the campaign would have been like this:

- Masterpiece gets released in fall 2011 to promote W.E

- Masterpiece receives a Golden Globe and Academy Award nomination (because in a parallel universe, it would have been placed as the first song of the end credits to make it eligible for the Oscars)

- Gang Bang gets released in January 2012 as the first official single off MDNA with a short movie directed by Tarantino

- Madonna performs 4-5 CLASSIC hits at the Superbowl (GMAYL never existed)

- Madonna performs a stripped down version of Love Spent at the Grammy Awards (the same performance she would later use for her legendary MDNA Tour)

- Love Spent gets released as the second official single off MDNA in late March 2012 (Madonna decided to release the album version and the acoustic version to radios at the same time)

- Beautiful Killer gets released as the third and last international single off MDNA in summer 2012. Huge hit!

That's it. No more singles. Turn Up The Radio, B-Day Song, GMAYL and Superstar never made the album. The only reductive song on the album would be Girl Gone Wild which would get a cult following at gay clubs all around the world.

:laugh: OK I should probably stop now. But sometimes it is so much fun to think what could have been...oh well..

I don't think GMAYL is actually so bad, I just hate the chants and thats it, the instrumental is unreal

I know, it really isn't so bad. It's not in the same 'league' as Superstar for example even though I tend to put them in the same bin usually. But I like to compare it to most of her other legendary first singles and then I get frustrated because the expectations were so high - it was her first 'post'-Gaga album (sorry to mention it here) and Madonna was known for reinventing herself and pushing herself artistically and musically with each project (well with HC not so much but that's another story). I love the video for GMAYL but other than that, I just think it was the worst choice for a first single in her career and hence I wish this song never existed.

I know, it really isn't so bad. It's not in the same 'league' as Superstar for example even though I tend to put them in the same bin usually. But I like to compare it to most of her other legendary first singles and then I get frustrated because the expectations were so high - it was her first 'post'-Gaga album (sorry to mention it here) and Madonna was known for reinventing herself and pushing herself artistically and musically with each project (well with HC not so much but that's another story). I love the video for GMAYL but other than that, I just think it was the worst choice for a first single in her career and hence I wish this song never existed.

tumblr_ma9ryhg1ES1r3ty02o1_500.gif

I agree, would have been better if it were just an album track

At least we had one of the best videos she's done in years and years and years!!!! I can't imagine MDNA without the GMAYL video!

I agree,the GMAYL video is classic....one of the best videos she has ever done.

Do we agree that MDNA has no proper single? I think it's the first Madonna album without a killer song on it. Even HC had one or two killer ones.

I disagree.MDNA had at least four or five strong potential singles but unfortunately,the right ones weren't chosen.Even "Beautiful Killer" could have been a single.

Guest bluejean

Yes. Although American Life was the same.