Memo to MDNA: please don't work with Daft Punk on next album!

Apples388

Not sure if she still has the drive to "define" anything at all...and not sure if she'll be given that chance again...seems like people are most likely indifferent to her music now...like she's taken for granted because she achieved so much already

I don't get this idea that it would be good to work with a certain producer a couple of years ago, but now she can't work with them. To me, good music is timeless music. It doesn't become bad because time goes by. A good producer is a good producer. People are too worried about her working producers who are behind the times or trendy appealing to the young blah blah blah. She should work with who she has chemistry with and who she is really excited to work with not all these outside perceptions. She's always been the type of person who works with who she wants no matter what people think. Are there really any underground producers anymore? Because as soon as we hear the person's name, everyone googles them and finds out what kind of music they do. So their sound isn't secret anymore.

I'm open to her doing a lot of different things, but I wouldn't want her to go more electronic and club oriented. That really hard repetitive dj music bores me. She should either stay in the pop/dance area or incorporate some other genres but not go into harder EDM.

THIS!!!

I don't really care, as long as the music is good, strong, and unique. And she puts her all into it.

Guess I'm the lone ranger over here, but I LOVE Daft Punk's new album. I don't give a shit if she already did a piece of that sound, it's not really like RAM anyway. I would love something like RAM that brings in old school funk, some soul, and real instruments on top of dance-oriented sounds. And this idea that if she works with a certain producer that they're just gonna give her the sound they did on their last record(s) is kind of a limiting way of looking at things. If headstrong Madonna goes into the studio like she has in the past, I have no doubt she can work out a sound from any producer that even goes beyond what they 'normally' do. She has that ability to push all writers out of their comfort zone. I think we're all boxing them in. Especially DP. I have a feeling if they worked with M, they'd go more left field anyway.

More than anything, I personally would like to see her work with some writers that aren't all about a certain 'sound' or genre, but that are focused more on iconic, timeless melodies and compositions. Really well rounded song writers.

What about a collab w/ Justice?

Do the M-A-D-G-E. 1 2 3 4 5! :wow:

No Daft Punk! No Justice! No Ed Banger sound! Blood Orange maybe? Although he had his successful collaboration with Solange.

If she works with Daft Punk she will be accused of chasing a trend to appeal to the younger market

was this ironic? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

if she ll do some daft punk prouction it will sound more like MUSIC and not HC. also...they love vocader so much and madonna have it on each album since music...hm....i wonder if that would mean Madonna went FUNKY! :D i like that idea :)))))

WTF is EDM?

I'd rather like her working with Daft Punk than with other shitty DJ, it's time for something new...

I said this before and I'll say it again: Johnny Jewel!!! We know he's a fan, after all he named his label after M's Papa Don't Preach tshirt!

It was very telling that on MDNA she went back to Orbit. That decision, I am sure, was rather self conscious on her part due to the reaction to Hard Candy.

It always felt to me that she went back to Orbit later when Martin didn't deliver the goods.

orbit is passe

it was mistake to have him back. she shouldnt look back but forrward

The point of the album was to look back...

Not that she won't do something unpredictable, but it seems like the last two times she had an "under-performing album" (Erotica, American Life), she opted to do something very mainstream on the follow-up. Bedtime Stories saw her hook up with the big hit-maker of the 90's, Babyface,

COADF was still dance (although for me, that album is very strong in the pop vein), but it was highly accessible even though Stuart Price was at the helm of that one.

If I had to wager, I'd say we won't get anything to experimental or underground. I think she'll want a big hit record to restore some of the sheen she lost in Europe last time.

THIS!!!

I don't really care, as long as the music is good, strong, and unique. And she puts her all into it.

Guess I'm the lone ranger over here, but I LOVE Daft Punk's new album. I don't give a shit if she already did a piece of that sound, it's not really like RAM anyway. I would love something like RAM that brings in old school funk, some soul, and real instruments on top of dance-oriented sounds. And this idea that if she works with a certain producer that they're just gonna give her the sound they did on their last record(s) is kind of a limiting way of looking at things. If headstrong Madonna goes into the studio like she has in the past, I have no doubt she can work out a sound from any producer that even goes beyond what they 'normally' do. She has that ability to push all writers out of their comfort zone. I think we're all boxing them in. Especially DP. I have a feeling if they worked with M, they'd go more left field anyway.

More than anything, I personally would like to see her work with some writers that aren't all about a certain 'sound' or genre, but that are focused more on iconic, timeless melodies and compositions. Really well rounded song writers.

Thanks for liking my comment! I agree with you! I said I didn't want her to work with DP, but the more I think about it, I think it would be great! I love the DP album. It incorporates the live instruments but in a dance format, not in the rock thing that doesn't suit Madonna. People say they don't want dance but they don't want guitar either. What do you want then? I think it would be great if she did soul mixed with dance with some live instruments and with some electronics.

Oof, I'm late to this tea party, catching up...

This is what it all boils down to. So many more interesting things going on with music than Daft Punk (who i like a lot, of course).

OF COURSE her team will make sure to synch up the entire Madonna branding machinery around the release of her next album! It's sad.

Consider the next album will once again be promotion for a tour. The "lesson" from MDNA could be twofold: 1) happy, youthful pop songs may not work for Madonna anymore, 2) the MDNA vibe was not support enough for the tour (it didn't spun hits nor did the darker electronica/dance stuff appeal to anyone outside of fans).

So what would be the next logical step to take? Make a big rock/pop album that concentrates on delivering one or two "arena" hits, and make sure the rest of the songs translate well live too? Go back to pop with an edge and see what happens? Work with RedOne or Pitbull and get a crossover dance hit at all costs?

Market her next tour as her "farewell" tour and then it won't matter what music she comes out with?

(??!?!?!)

I'm reeeaaaallly looking forward to what happens next.

yes its all about the tour (again)

orbit is passe

it was mistake to have him back. she shouldnt look back but forrward

+1

his tracks on MDNA were nice, but nothing new, we have better versions on ROL.

I prefer Martins tracks which, at least, brought something new to the table.

I'd like her to work with Trevor Horn. A great pop producer.

Maybe add Orbit and Stu Price for a couple of co-produces. Write with Pat Leonard, Joe Henry and Rick Knowels again. Result = great album.

Guest bluejean

I always wanted a Daft Punk/Madonna collaboration back in the day (2001). But after hearing their new album I agree, NO WAY. Their album sounds like a 70's disco album, there is nothing fresh or exciting about it whatsoever. And she definitely should not work with Nile Rogers either. He is partly why their new album is so stale. 'Get Lucky' is a great track but I would attribute that mainly to Pharrell. If she was ever going to work with Daft Punk it should have been after the 'Music' album instead of recycling Mirwais. The moment is gone.

Guest bluejean

Orbit was fine on MDNA. He did all the fan favourite album tracks. So it didn't matter that it wasn't so fresh.

I'd like her to work with Trevor Horn. A great pop producer.

Maybe add Orbit and Stu Price for a couple of co-produces. Write with Pat Leonard, Joe Henry and Rick Knowels again. Result = great album.

THIS. The most important is who she writes with! If its Pat Leonard, Joe Henry and Rick Knowels we d get amazing songs and it would matter little who the producer is... But I m fine with Orbit and Price being the producers then. Orbit was the only one who knew what he was doing on MDNA. Martin almost dug her grave: he is such a hit and miss: while GMAYL was laughable, BK was indeed killer...

As for Daft Punk: their music was never groundbreaking... I mean u wont get the chills u get from Frozen... So no.

I don't mind what direction M takes next or who she works with, but I hope she spends a bit more time working on the album itself. Hard Candy and MDNA are both good, but some of the songs sound half-finished and quite tinny. The live versions are so much better and I wish they'd been on the albums instead.

Yes, I agree, but I don't think she will.

As she's getting older she's confining herself more and more to the dance genre and seems to be happy to be known primarily as a "Dance Artist", and the awards, promotional agenda and chart achievements reflect that. She seems to be happy with that. As she said, "DANCE" is in her molecular structure, which is fair enough.. but I do think it's time for a big MADONNA BALLAD. MDNA came close with some tracks but still fell short. I want the next opening single to be a big haunting dark ballad. Not "Frozen", not "Secret", nothing like that.. but something completely breathtaking and different.. but still ballady.

She's always been a 'dance' artist and always will be.

M was always inspired by 70s disco dance vibe (remember how great was music inferno on CT) so i find it very interesting how people dont like it on DP album. i find it very refreshing in this all same music time which flerts with house or rnb and now already borring DJs or some idiotic world music. hate it. if M take daft punk to work with they will work with Ms talent so she ll make the sound of her own.

This has always been a myth and always will be.

She started out doing rock, and her earliest influences were rock (Bowie, Pretenders, Blondie), but even if you ignore her pre-fame endeavors, MOST of her hits were not dance songs. If you look at her list of Top 10 hits, the majority are midtempo pop songs or ballads. In fact, it wasn't until COADF that she's been focused almost entirely on dance music and even that started to wane on MDNA.

I'm not saying dance music hasn't always been an important part of what's done, or that she hasn't always catered to the club market, but to suggest that she always has been and always will be a "dance" artist is just inaccurate. She's a pop artist and her discography bears that out. This is why her Wiki categorization as a dance artist has always bugged me while someone like MJ has like eight different genres listed.

No. Not just dance.

None of her 80's albums are "dance" albums, except You Can Dance.

Shes more RnB oriented (Lucky Star) dance pop (Into the Groove) with touch of funk (Physical Attraction), rock (Open Your Heart) and 60's girl pop (True Blue).

I think whether Madonna has always been a dance artist depends on how you define "dance". If by dance you mean just the type of house/techno that works in a club, then no she has not always been a "dance" artist. But if by dance you mean something that has an electronic element that gets you moving, then that has always been there throughout most of her music although she has had her ballad hits.

This has always been a myth and always will be.

She started out doing rock, and her earliest influences were rock (Bowie, Pretenders, Blondie), but even if you ignore her pre-fame endeavors, MOST of her hits were not dance songs. If you look at her list of Top 10 hits, the majority are midtempo pop songs or ballads. In fact, it wasn't until COADF that she's been focused almost entirely on dance music and even that started to wane on MDNA.

I'm not saying dance music hasn't always been an important part of what's done, or that she hasn't always catered to the club market, but to suggest that she always has been and always will be a "dance" artist is just inaccurate. She's a pop artist and her discography bears that out. This is why her Wiki categorization as a dance artist has always bugged me while someone like MJ has like eight different genres listed.

If you notice I left the word dance in inverted commas. I never said she made only dance music. Most of her album music isn't even dance. I think as an ARTIST dance really has the central role. If she can't dance to it she's mostly not interested. I don't get considering POP as a genre over DANCE. What even IS POP? She's NOT a POP STAR. Her music has a broad appeal of course but so did John Lennons and I don't see anybody calling him a pop star. Everything Madonna did started from dance. Dance came before being a rock doll. She experimented with rock due to the people around and I think it says it all that her first written and released proper record was dance (a slow groove but still...). She thinks like a rock star and she enjoys the groove of soul and hip hop but the structure of her work comes from her background in dance. That's what I was saying.