Memo to MDNA: please don't work with Daft Punk on next album!

Apples388

You are clearly completely clueless about the way the music business works. Promoting your record doesn't mean going on a TV show and talking about it track by track. It's about visibility and exposure as well. And an interview means that she will answer questions that she is asked, and that is exactly what happens.

I suppose she wasn't promoting American Life on Jonathan Ross even though she appeared on it the WEEK the album was released and emerged from a door that had the album cover plastered on it because, oh wait, she actually performed "Don't Tell Me" and talked about Guy Ritchie!! :manson:

You are clearly completely clueless about the way the music business works. Promoting your record doesn't mean going on a TV show and talking about it track by track you utter, utter fuckwit. It's about visibility and exposure as well. And an interview means that she will answer questions that she is asked, and that is exactly what happens.

I suppose she wasn't promoting American Life on Jonathan Ross even though she appeared on it the WEEK the album was released and emerged from a door that had the album cover plastered on it because, oh wait, she actually performed "Don't Tell Me" and talked about Guy Ritchie!! :manson:

When I said that I was talking about the mini promo performances at KOKO etc. Don't get it twisted. You're a Kylie fan hoping for somebody to come out giggling and say 'buy my record, luv u gays'. Shame, because Madonna clearly doesn't work that way. Go watch the promo spots and see how bored she is and how her eyes only light up when she discusses the tour. Or watch her say that she's 'been told not to ride a horse again before she's finishing promoting a record'. It's a contractual obligation and that's all. She signs a contract stating what she must do to promote the record and how many she must release. It's the exact reason why Sony and George Michael fought in court. Maybe it's YOU who needs to do some research.

:lol:

Confessions promo was HUGE.

I remember how shocked and pleasantly surprised we all were that she was absolutely everywhere. We'd never seen her actually promoting her record that much. It was great to see her on all these TV shows - especially in the UK obviously (for me personally) but also in Europe and even in Japan. Of course, it was quite telling that she didn't do as much US promo for it since she & the label both probably knew (quite rightly) that the record would be a much bigger seller in Europe because it was a disco/electro heavy album.

But I suppose we have Guy O and his "NTP" these days for MDNA! Wow!

Oh my god. GU your arguments have no logic at all.

You keep saying Rihanna goes to tv shows to promote singles, but if we follow your thinking she's just promoting her tour too. :dazed:

It seems you dont know how music promotion works. Why do you think artists go to events and do interviews about their lives WHILE the release of an album?

Super Bowl was to promote MDNA Tour. Everything else was MDNA album.

Oh my god. GU your arguments have no logic at all.

You keep saying Rihanna goes to tv shows to promote singles, but if we follow your thinking she's just promoting her tour too. :dazed:

It seems you dont know how music promotion works. Why do you think artists go to events and do interviews about their lives WHILE the release of an album?

Super Bowl was to promote MDNA Tour. Everything else was MDNA album.

Rihanna stands next to her single and is all like 'out Monday!' or 'out on iTunes now!'. Rihanna is a label puppet who doesn't write her songs and therefore has to keep the label happy. Her only source of income is through label negotiated cuts of tracks that she doesn't write. She got a fifty percent cut of what she did with Calvin Harris for this very reason. Rihannas tours don't gross anywhere near what Madonnas do. Madonna rarely talks about her private life. She promoted her tour, the Material Girl line, The Gyms and her perfume because it's GOOD BUSINESS SENSE. The record label is a platform for Madonna. That's all.

No artist go to tv shows saying "please buy my record". :doh:

They just perform, if somebody cares to buy it, good.

You clearly haven't seen a lot of American and British TV shows.

Mariah Carey: 'The record. Yes. I'm really happy with it and I hope you'll like it. Please buy it.'. #GRIN. I'm sure somebody can find YouTube clips of people pedalling their records in this way. It happens all the time.

Show me the promo for Jump and Sorry. She performed the singles of course but did you ever see her holding a single and saying 'OUT MONDAY, GO AND BUY IT!'? No, you didn't because at that point she'd already realised that it's a waste of time focusing on record sales and if the record company was encouraging her to promote she would make sure she promoted the tour. Fact.

Um ... :crazy:

She did a TON of promo appearances (ie interviews, TV performances, club shows) in Europe, the US & in Asia in support of the ALBUM, long before the tour was even announced

I won't bother typing it all out, since Suedehead already did. It's common knowledge and most of us were on this very forum when she did the COADF TRADITIONAL PROMO TOUR. Somehow you still think you know better than any of us ... :rotfl:

I really don't have neither time nor energy or interest to convince you. Believe whatever you want!

That's because he is absolutely clueless. He probably has no idea she did all those interviews or performances. Maybe he's not even a Madonna fan - because no one is that ridiculous in real life, surely?

Guest Rachelle of London

surely by promoting the hell out of the album and making it a commercial success increased interest in the tour therefore making that a commercial success!.

I loved the COADF promo...she was EVERYWHERE! adverts, saturday night TV, nightclubs it was great

That's because he is absolutely clueless. He probably has no idea she did all those interviews or performances. Maybe he's not even a Madonna fan - because no one is that ridiculous in real life, surely?

Maybe you're not fully developed as you tend to repeat the same boring/nasty jokes over and over.

Now hit it!

:dead:

Um ... :crazy:

She did a TON of promo appearances (ie interviews, TV performances, club shows) in Europe, the US & in Asia in support of the ALBUM, long before the tour was even announced

I won't bother typing it all out, since Suedehead already did. It's common knowledge and most of us were on this very forum when she did the COADF TRADITIONAL PROMO TOUR. Somehow you still think you know better than any of us ... :rotfl:

I really don't have neither time nor energy or interest to convince you. Believe whatever you want!

I NEVER SAID THAT SHE DID NO PROMO. If you can show me promo relating strictly to the album and how it helped the album to sell then I will bow down. Until then. :-D

Stop being deliberately obtuse GU. You know fine well she promoted the hell out of AL and COAD for the actual records, not the tours.

Never in 25 years of fandom have I seen Madonna's stock down so much in the UK after a particular era. Which just so happens to coincide with the non existant promo of her last album.

Never in 25 years of fandom have I seen Madonna's stock down so much in the UK after a particular era. Which just so happens to coincide with the non existant promo of her last album.

It's quite worrying, but I am still somewhat optimistic. I still think that if the music is good enough, she can recover from it. The record sales and chart positions may not reach the dizzying heights ever again but I think it can get better. MDNA had some really good music on it, but the first single was abysmal - so that didn't help matters. And then the fact that she refused to do any promo for it sealed the album's fate. By the time the tour came around, it was hardly anything worthy talking about because the album was such a non-event. Most people didn't even know Madonna was actually on tour when I told them I was going to see her live; let alone that she actually had a new record out. It was quite sad.

It's quite worrying, but I am still somewhat optimistic. I still think that if the music is good enough, she can recover from it. The record sales and chart positions may not reach the dizzying heights ever again but I think it can get better. MDNA had some really good music on it, but the first single was abysmal - so that didn't help matters. And then the fact that she refused to do any promo for it sealed the album's fate. By the time the tour came around, it was hardly anything worthy talking about because the album was such a non-event. Most people didn't even know Madonna was actually on tour when I told them I was going to see her live; let alone that she actually had a new record out. It was quite sad.

Yep no-one without an online interest in Madonna knew anything about anything which is a bizarre state of affairs.

i'd never, ever count Madonna out no matter what and actually I thought the whole MDNA era would be pushed to be one of her best as a big fuck-you to Warner Bros but obviously the opposite happened. At this point it could go either way. The scary possibility of tipping over into ridiculed Cher-esque hasbeen territory in this country isn't something to look forward to for my favourite artist, but I have faith!

WE'RE NOT TALKING ABOUT THE TOUR!

Which, by the way, probably did more damage than it was worth IN THE UK.

Suedehead thinks nobody knew about the SOLDOUT MDNA TOUR. :rotfl:

^ scrap that.

What the hell! Will people stop deleting/changing their posts after someone replies?!

It's somebody else doing it. Wonder who. Anyway, off out. Enjoy the afternoon gurlz.

Yep no-one without an online interest in Madonna knew anything about anything which is a bizarre state of affairs.

i'd never, ever count Madonna out no matter what and actually I thought the whole MDNA era would be pushed to be one of her best as a big fuck-you to Warner Bros but obviously the opposite happened. At this point it could go either way. The scary possibility of tipping over into ridiculed Cher-esque hasbeen territory in this country isn't something to look forward to for my favourite artist, but I have faith!

I don't think she could ever go into the Cher hasbeen territory (that is simply impossible) - but she is far more likely to turn into a one-woman version of The Rolling Stones, U2 or to a lesser extent Bruce Springsteen. All these artists are big live acts but they also do still sell records. Madonna is again breaking the mould here because all those acts are male and their realm is not pop music but rock music so she has the demons of sexism, ageism and musical snobbery to deal with but as we all know she's more than equipped to deal with those challenges.

But I was a bit annoyed about the way MDNA flopped so spectacularly mostly because I thought the record had some really good music on it which was unjustly ignored. At least Erotica underperformed because of the SEX backlash. With MDNA it just seemed that no one cared!

^ scrap that.

What the hell! Will people stop deleting/changing their posts after someone replies?!

I'm deleting his posts. Sorry. I have to be a bit ruthless about my stalkers; otherwise it can spiral out of control. His obsession with me doesn't normally bother me but he's a bit unhinged and sometimes I have to act accordingly.

Suedehead thinks nobody knew about the SOLDOUT MDNA TOUR. :rotfl:

Nah they just didn't know what the fucking SONGS WERE!

And this was in the Golden Triangle which was, by the way, filled with dour English people with rucksacks :bad:

Nah they just didn't know what the fucking SONGS WERE!

And this was in the Golden Triangle which was, by the way, filled with dour English people with rucksacks :bad:

Let's face it, we all know she wouldn't have "sold out" a second night at Hyde Park. Let's just put it that way.

It's somebody else doing it. Wonder who. Anyway, off out. Enjoy the afternoon gurlz.

Lather on that Factor30 luv. Y'know how you gingers are! :sassy:

I don't think she could ever go into the Cher hasbeen territory (that is simply impossible) - but she is far more likely to turn into a one-woman version of The Rolling Stones, U2 or to a lesser extent Bruce Springsteen. All these artists are big live acts but they also do still sell records. Madonna is again breaking the mould here because all those acts are male and their realm is not pop music but rock music so she has the demons of sexism, ageism and musical snobbery to deal with but as we all know she's more than equipped to deal with those challenges.

I know. But Madonna struggling to sell 55,000 tickets in LONDON? Unheard of. That little dinky arena in Brum took ages to sell out too and was filled with old codgers.

And the amount of stuff i've heard online and off about Madonna's "botched facelift", which i'd NEVER heard before is a little off putting and cher-like.

But yeah that could all be put to rest with a BRILLIANT RECORD with good collaborators and a decent promo strategy.

I know. But Madonna struggling to sell 55,000 tickets in LONDON? Unheard of. That little dinky arena in Brum took ages to sell out too and was filled with old codgers.

Oh, I absolutely agree. I think she has never been more unpopular in the UK to be honest. We all thought 2008 was bad after the divorce and the Sticky and Sweet Wembley stadium fiasco (let's not get into that one again) but come 2012 and it seems that it got even worse.

But yeah that could all be put to rest with a BRILLIANT RECORD with good collaborators and a decent promo strategy.

I think so; and I think MDNA was a step in the right direction. And I think that even the casual fans and the very few members of the general public that bought the album would actually agree that it was not a bad album by any means. So (to go back to the discussion in the title of this thread), I am reasonably optimistic about the next album!