BOXSCORE: S&S grossed $407.7 million!!! Attended by 3.5 million people!

motherandfather03

I've never heard of a city named Scotland? Where is it? :chuckle:

Varsovie also sounds very interesting... did you mean Warsaw?

:rolleyes:

You know exactly what he meant.

Guest gintonic
from wikipedia

Drowned World Tour gross 76,792,245 million USD

Re-Invention World Tour gross 124,790,787 million USD

Madonna's Sticky & Sweet 08 tour become the sixth largest grossing tour of all time following:-

1. Rolling Stones' (558 million USD) for the 2005-7 Bigger Bang tour with 144 shows.

2. U2's (389 million USD) for the 2005-6 Vertigo tour with 133 concerts.

3. The Police's (350 million USD) for their 151-concert 2007-8 reunion tour.

4. Rolling Stones' (320 million USD) gross for its 1994-5 The Voodoo Lounge Tour for 128 shows.

5. Rolling Stones' (312 million USD) gross from their 2002-3 Licks tour with over 121 shows.

Madonna's Sticky & Sweet 08 tour become the sixth largest grossing tour of all time following:-

1. Rolling Stones' (558 million USD) for the 2005-7 Bigger Bang tour with 144 shows.

2. U2's (389 million USD) for the 2005-6 Vertigo tour with 133 concerts.

3. The Police's (350 million USD) for their 151-concert 2007-8 reunion tour.

4. Rolling Stones' (320 million USD) gross for its 1994-5 The Voodoo Lounge Tour for 128 shows.

5. Rolling Stones' (312 million USD) gross from their 2002-3 Licks tour with over 121 shows.

So she will indeed hold the title for solo artist with the highest grossing tour. NICE! :thumbsup:

I think both tour and album will be 2010 next time around, actually. LiveNation will probably have a little trick up their sleeve that way - as in release the album the exact same week the tour kicks off, thus minimising useless album promo for M (which we know she doesn't enjoy) and maximising exposure for the album and the tour. Two birds with one stone. They'll probably also sell the new album at the show as well.

OMG I should work for LiveNation.

OH GAWD!!! The whole crowd won't even be able to relate to 50% of the songs... It's true that some of the people that went to the concert may not even own hard candy and haven't heard it til the concert but imagine if all of crowd don't even know the song she is singing...

I don't think so...

OH GAWD!!! The whole crowd won't even be able to relate to 50% of the songs... It's true that some of the people that went to the concert may not even own hard candy and haven't heard it til the concert but imagine if all of crowd don't even know the song she is singing...

I don't think so...

I'm not saying 'release the album on the same day as the tour kicks off', but within weeks (maybe a month) of each other. Let's face it, when she does those little promo shows most people know all the words to the songs before the album's been out because it has leaked. Maybe they could arrange an advance digital release of the album or something. Anyway, it can work out and I'm sure LiveNation will be doing something along those lines. She simply doesn't sell as many records anymore, so it's time to shake up the game.

You all need to chill out a minute and think about what I'm suggesting

well maybe they should release a song a few months before, ala Live to tell (or Kylie when she was with SAW), and then a "lead" single with a fast second/third one, ala womanizer/Circus,Violet hill/Viva la vida or If I were a boy/all the single ladies...and a month or two later, the tour

Sure she doesn't sell that many records anymore but who does? The hottest acts right now are selling a little bit more lol She's in the top 10 selling albums of 2008 worldwide with Hardy Candy & Confessions sold great just 2 years ago in a better time. Panic mode isn't necessary. Who gives a flying f*ck about album sales Madonna doesn't when she's raking it in the touring biz(hundreds of millions of dollars). All she needs is to release *1* hit or mega hit and boom her next tour will be a huge success :)

That's the new game.

P.S Aside from say 5 acts who are enjoying good numbers like say Rihanna,Britney, Coldplay their worldwide sales aren't that great and that's because of the overall market as we know. Madonna's Hard Candy is a success for 2008.

$280M gross from a world tour is like selling 28M copies worldwide if averaged at $10US per album...

nowadays, worlwide top-selling albums rake 6-8M copies, that's just $60M-$80M, and that is really hard to achieve nowadays...

if record companies would want high single sales and album sales, i'd still go with the idea of releasing 3-4 singles before the actual album is released... i mean, let's say she already has 3 good songs recorded, release it (2010) Feb, May, August then the 4th single coincides with the album release in the 4th quarter of 2010, then tour.... Fans will still buy that I am sure...

nowadays, it's hard to have great numbers for the 2nd singles and above because it's already downloadable upon the album release that usually follows the first single release...

Guest heartmadonna.

im so happy for her! :D

but i cant believe this was the tour to break the records, shes always coming back stronger and harder each album

I'm not saying 'release the album on the same day as the tour kicks off', but within weeks (maybe a month) of each other. Let's face it, when she does those little promo shows most people know all the words to the songs before the album's been out because it has leaked.

Yeah, but those promo shows bring out the hardcore fans - not really a group that would goose album sales since it is likely they are first day buyers anyway.

Anyway, it can work out and I'm sure LiveNation will be doing something along those lines. She simply doesn't sell as many records anymore, so it's time to shake up the game.

Well, she still had the second best opening week worldwide of the year. I am not sure how touring *immediately* would change that much, in fact, I am not sure what kind of impact it would have at all. She can still reach more people by doing TV promo (potentially millions of viewers worldwide via the Internet) during an album's initial promo than by 2 or 3 concerts a week (even if they are stadium shows).

Not only that, but considering it takes a good 3 months to prepare for a tour, we would probably be guaranteed absolutely NO album launch promotion if she was sequestered in a dance rehearsal studio right before a release date.

I think the logistics for such a plan would be difficult to implement with the effects you are hoping they will achieve.

Is it the Michael Jackson history tour?

No, that one grossed about $160+ million.

I remember vaguely hearing it's some country singer, if I'm not mistaken. Well, when Billboard will release its final numbers and will make an article about M breaking the record, they would probably state whose record she broke.

it seems that we are going back to the 60´s, when the albums were ony a compilation of singles plus some fillers

I have no idea that's how they do it in the 60s... but if it means going back to that style to get good reception for your 3-4 initial singles then why not... I'd want to read what is HG's, BR's, thebigham's, Hafo's (and other chart geeks) take on this idea, it's always nice to hear their insights on this matter...

Guest FrozenLight

SOUTH AMERICAN GROSSES!! Look at Argentina (it's higher than the Paris gross!!)

1 Madonna, Paul Oakenfold Estadio River Plate

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Dec. 4-5, 7-8, 2008

$18,274,292

263,693 /

4 /

$181.36, $27.35

Live Nation Global Touring/Time For Fun

2 Madonna Estadio Nacional

Santiago, Chile

Dec. 10-11, 2008

$11,385,499

146,242 /

2 /

$314.87, $35.33

Live Nation Global Touring/Time For Fun

3 Madonna, Paul Oakenfold Foro Sol

Mexico City, Mexico

Nov. 29-30, 2008

$10,428,743

104,270 /

2 /

$296.44, $20.85

Wow! Look at the average gross in Mexico City! Almost same gross as Santiago with 40,000 less people! Doing the maths, had she played for the same audience as in Buenos Aires, gross would be close to $26M! :shock: Brazil sales will be impressive...

For 8 dates in Latin America:

Gross - $40.088.534

Attendance - 514.205

To date:

Gross - $247.670.064

Attendance - 2.033.652

Guest FrozenLight

It's amazing that over a quater million people went to see her in one single city!! It's mindblowing!! And I agree that she could have easily sold out 4 stadium dates in Mexico

Guest FrozenLight

I wonder if Sao Paulo will have a higher gross than Buenos Aires (though she has 3 dates in Sao Paulo but the stadium is bigger).

I'm thinking Rio will gross around $12 million and Sao Paulo anywhere from $15 to $20 million

Live nation report:

2,350,282 million fans and sold over (USD)280,000,000 in tickets.

So,To date:

Gross - $247.670.064

Attendance - 2.033.652

The Brazilian audience:

316.630 tickets and a $32M gross

IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!!!!!

Madonna Rules The World, Too

Tuesday, 30 December 2008

Madonna not only topped North American ticket sales in 2008 but duplicated the feat worldwide as well, grossing $281.6 million with 2.34 million tickets sold across the globe.

Celine Dion was second, as she was in the North American Pollstar tally, with totals of $236.6 million and 1.8 million ducats moved. Bon Jovi racked up $176 million from 1.83 million fans, fellow New Jersian Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band followed with $166 million grossed from 1.64 million turnstiles rung, and The Police rounded out the Top 5 with $120.6 million and 1.13 million tickets sold.

The rest of Pollstar?s Worldwide Top 10 is filled out by Neil Diamond with $94.8 million in grosses; Eagles, $86.6 million; André Rieu, $76.9 million; Kenny Chesney, $72.2 million and Coldplay, $71.9 million.

How did 2008 numbers stack up against 2007? Glad you asked.

Madge edged Sting and the boys, 2007?s top worldwide tour, in total tickets sold. The Police topped last year?s list with 2.23 million.

http://www.pollstar.com/blogs/news/archive.../30/633301.aspx

Guest boytoyville

^ Fantastic. Well there you have it. Celine came in at a distant second. Interesting that they included the numbers not reported to billboard. There we have it once and for all Madonna killed her tour gross with 73 less shows as I predicted she would months ago. :dramatic:

Amazing #s! And HAHA @ the foolish fans here and on other forums who said awhile ago that it wouldn't be worthwhile for her to tour in "3rd world" Latin America! :manson::chuckle: Can't wait for Brazil's stats!

Do you realize that Celine will top Sticky&Sweet according to Pollstar? :confused:

-Sticky&Sweet Tour: $281.6 million with 2.34 million tickets sold across the globe. COMPLETED.

-Taking Chances Tour: $236.6 million and 1.8 million ducats moved. 25 SHOWS LEFT.

Guest Danny86
Do you realize that Celine will top Sticky&Sweet according to Pollstar? :confused:

-Sticky&Sweet Tour: $281.6 million with 2.34 million tickets sold across the globe. COMPLETED.

-Taking Chances Tour: $236.6 million and 1.8 million ducats moved. 25 SHOWS LEFT.

It's the first time Pollstar reveals worldwide numbers, everyone always used the Billboard boxscores before, so I don't know how it's going to be dealt with.

Not to convert this into a Celine thread, but here's the info. Mods, feel free to move this to another thread if deemed necessary.

Gross for Celine's shows in the US have averaged $1.5M - 19 of her concerts are scheduled in the US so that'd be $27 million. Total: $263M.

The remaining 6 shows are in Canada - Windsor, Quebec City and Montreal. Average in Canada is $2.5 million, so that'd put her in the $279M vicinity.

Some of her gross in the US may be lower because of the markets she's visiting, and not sure about the capacity of the Windsor and Quebec City venues. However, she was massive in Montreal.

So it's a matter to wait and see.

Jan 3, 2009 Sprint Center Kansas City, USA

Jan 5, 2009 American Airlines Center Dallas, USA

Jan 7, 2009 AT&T Center San Antonio, USA

Jan 9, 2009 Toyota Center Houston, USA

Jan 10, 2009 New Orleans Arena New Orleans, USA

Jan 13, 2009 Sommet Center Nashville, USA

Jan 15, 2009 BJCC Arena Birmingham, USA

Jan 17, 2009 Philips Arena Atlanta, USA

Jan 20, 2009 RBC Center Raleigh, USA

Jan 23, 2009 American Airlines Arena Miami, USA

Jan 28, 2009 St. Pete Times Forum Tampa, USA