Hard Candy SoundScan/Billboard 200 Discussion

thebigham

2 months in the Top 40. a better place I thought we'd be by now. And obvioulsy way less of a pinch than those 4 dreadul weeks AL spent lol. Id love to see it at least somehow stick around for 10 weeks, so its double digits. looks better lol.

oldbloke at UKMIx:

2008 WEEK 25 YTD ALBUMS

Pos - Sales 000's - TITLE - Artist

01 - 1316 - THA CARTER III - Lil' Wayne

02 - 1233 - SLEEP THROUGH THE STATIC - Jack Johnson

03 - 1046 - E=MC² - Mariah Carey

04 - 977 - AS I AM - Alicia Keys

05 - 836 - TAYLOR SWIFT - Taylor Swift

06 - 801 - SPIRIT - Leona Lewis

07 - 781 - JUNO - Soundtrack

08 - 755 - NOW 27 - Various

09 - 754 - HERE I STAND - Usher

10 - 722 - VIVA LA VIDA OR DEATH AND HIS FRIENDS - Coldplay

11 - 675 - GROWING PAINS - Mary J Blige

12 - 643 - ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS - Soundtrack

13 - 600 - THRILLER - Michael Jackson

14 - 591 - HANNAH MONTANA 2/MEET MILEY CYRUS - Soundtrack/Miley Cyrus

15 - 589 - TRILLA - Rick Ross

16 - 586 - LITTLE VOICE - Sara Bareilles

17 - 576 - EXCLUSIVE - Chris Brown

18 - 561 - BACK TO BLACK - Amy Winehouse

19 - 559 - HARD CANDY - Madonna

20 - 549 - IN RAINBOWS - Radiohead

Guest jamesshot

Dropping as much as it has been with a huge hit single is not good. Yes I know 4M has been decreasing at radio but its a huge monster hit so from that alone it should be keeping her from dropping 43%, 25%. I can see a 15-20% drop each week with a huge hit. Of course, as the weeks go by, I would expect the album to gradually drop more in % if a 2nd single is bigger.

I dunno.

The re-issue of Thriller has sold more? The Alvin and the fucking Chipmunks soundtrack has sold more? :dramatic:

Alvin and The Cipmunks has been at record stores since Jan. 1, 4 months before HC hit the shelves.

Oh the drama people. Hard Candy is still selling and will continue to do so. M is back in the states and you don't know what/if she has planned.

She wont do anything now.. She has the tour to rehearse for and a divorce in the works, which im pretty sure she wont want to talk about.

Oh the drama people. Hard Candy is still selling and will continue to do so. M is back in the states and you don't know what/if she has planned.

we can only hope she has something planned other than going to the gym... it's been that way since the release of HC

Guest Danny86
we can only hope she has something planned other than going to the gym... it's been that way since the release of HC

That "something" is called "rehearsals". I thought after a month you'd get used to it, but wishful thinking from my part. :thumbsdown:

Omg this is so true!! :lmao:

She is one dumb bitch.

yikes....

ok this is very annoying. She is practically doing NOTHING for the record.

In the past she has done promotion for the 2nd single:

Ray of Light (Oprah)

Don't Tell Me (Letterman)

Hollywood (MTV Awards: The kiss with Britney)

Sorry (Grammy Awards & Ellen; ok she did HU at the grammies but then danced with Ellen to sorry)

Most of the time those TV appearances helped. At least in combination with better videos they created awareness for the single and they pushed album sales up. Okay, perhaps WBR doesn't want to pay for her plane tickets to go see Oprah or Ellen and she doesn't want to pay off her own pocket but she's in New York for christ sake. She has plenty of options.

Okay, perhaps WBR doesn't want to pay for her plane tickets to go see Oprah or Ellen and she doesn't want to pay off her own pocket but she's in New York for christ sake. She has plenty of options.

Indeed she does, and it's got nothing to do with money. She gets a bigger album advance than virtually any other artist out there, so it's not like "plane tickets" has anything to do with it. I suspect Warner is done with her and she is done with Warner. They are content to let the album sell on its own rather than put another dime into the project. Madonna is focusing on her tour which earns her far more dividends. That's it.

At this point, ASSUMING we get another single, I am already expecting the video to be a low-budget piece of shit.

She was on Letterman before DTM really hit, though- and her 2003 VMAs performance was way after that dud "Hollywood" peaked.

HC is now 61,000+ ahead of where AL was after 9 weeks (and ranked 43 spots higher on the BB 200), It's 103,000+ away from reaching AL's USA SoundScan tally.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

World wide, i don't think HC will sell as much as AL, i know AL came out a while ago so sales were different, but still, with such big names on HC you'd think she could get at LEAST get over the same sales AL got. I don't see it happening, this will end up being her lowest selling album ever i bet. The next million sold on HC will sell VERY slowly.

I'll say it again, she should have released something else as the 2nd single, either BGO or MILES AWAY or HEARTBEAT! It's a shame HC is on the way to being as big a sales flop as AL, it's a good album, not her best, but not awful either!

World wide, i don't think HC will sell as much as AL, i know AL came out a while ago so sales were different, but still, with such big names on HC you'd think she could get at LEAST get over the same sales AL got. I don't see it happening, this will end up being her lowest selling album ever i bet. The next million sold on HC will sell VERY slowly.

Well, chart-wise, this album is holding on better than American Life did - in the U.S. and most other places too. Hard Candy has already out-sold American Life (signifcantly) in several markets - Japan, Canada, & the Netherlands. Also, the tour for this album is coming at a more auspicious time (4-5 months after the initial release) and coincides with the 3rd and 4th quarters of the year which are generally better for sales.

According to my calculations, American Life sold about 3.7 million copies and shipped slightly over 4 million worldwide. Hard Candy is already at 3 million for shipments and we have the full impact of "Give It 2 Me" and the third single to go, plus a tour.

I feel fairly confident she'll out perform American Life's worldwide sales by the end of 2008.

But if that performance would have happened in the last 3 years there would have been a spike in digital sales leading to a hot 100 place and a few more spins in radio play.

If M promoted each of her songs on TV then surely that posible spike in digital sales would gurantee her a place on the Hot 100 even if for a week.

She was on Letterman before DTM really hit, though- and her 2003 VMAs performance was way after that dud "Hollywood" peaked.

HC is now 61,000+ ahead of where AL was after 9 weeks (and ranked 43 spots higher on the BB 200), It's 103,000+ away from reaching AL's USA SoundScan tally.

Even Coldplay aren't going to reach the numbers they did with their last album. The wolrd economy is slowing and people have less money to spend.

Madonna, Mariah and Usher are flopping.

But Coldplay sells so well worldwide.

I can´t call Usher´s album , Mariah´s album and madonna´s album a flop.Of course, i was expecting higher sales (expecially for madonna in the US), but they are still selling, and if they albums have legs, they will finsih with good numbers.I´m sure usher will work to hhave a successful album, I don´t know about mariah.