Hard Candy SoundScan/Billboard 200 Discussion

thebigham

Guest ercos
This thread is almost unreadable due to the 2 or 3 LOONS that must go on and on about how awful 4M is and what a flop HC is.

It's like, say it once, and SHUT UP.

+1

4M is NOT a monster hit in the USA, it's had excellent digital sales (to say the least). On the airplay side, I don't think anyone can call a track with a peak BDS audience of roughly 54 million a monster hit- maybe it's just me.

4M has done very well- but, as said, I dunno, about 458 times already, it's not a typical Madonna track and loads of people liking it wouldn't be interested in getting a Madonna album- hence, its digital success. Dunno why that fact isn't sinking in for some. :)

True: but were tawking re: madonna airplay!

Considering all songs from DAD 2002 on until 4m arrived in 2008 : THATS A MONSTER!

AL # 37 on BB 2003

Hollywood - complete mess 2003

nothing fail- double mess 2003

love pro-double double mess 2003

Hung Up BB # 7 (medicore hit/ for her excellent)

sorry # 50something: flop

jump/together/ disasters

by all mean : 4 M is a Monster hit (for M)

Who cares if Madonna hasn't made as big an impact on airwaves in the US? I'm happy 4 Minutes is actually getting played in the large markets--it's been such a long time since M had a radio hit. Besides, 4 Minutes is well on its way to 2 million digital sales, which means almost $1.6 mil for WB, $0.4 mil for Madonna for this one track alone--not bad at all, compared to the other diva's single sales (this time around anyway).

The bigger concern would be whether WB will recoup their costs for the recording of HARD CANDY--Timbo charges almost $500 000 per track (although I'm sure Madonna secured a substantial discount for the 7-8 tracks that he worked on. Plus we don't know how much The Neptunes charge for their services...). HARD CANDY is without a doubt, the MOST expensive album Madonna has ever released--good on her, she sure knew how to milk WB's coffers for her last release with them!

WB and Madonna probably already recouped their costs with their H.C./4M tie-in deals with Vodafone, Verizon, Unilever, MSN and Japan's FujiTV. They were paid $10 million for that Sunsilk shampoo campaign.

I think 4 Minutes is a monster hit. You have to live under a rock or be an old fart to have not heard it once. All you have to do is walk up to some random person and say "MA-DON-NA" and they are going to know exactly what you are talking about. :lol:

And for fucks sake I agree. If I have to hear that her album is flopping one more time when it so obviously isnt, I am going to shit on someones head. If the album had dropped out of the top 40 I would call it a flop, but when its still in the top 10 after a month...Come on now.

WB and Madonna probably already recouped their costs with their H.C./4M tie-in deals with Vodafone, Verizon, Unilever, MSN and Japan's FujiTV. They were paid $10 million for that Sunsilk shampoo campaign.

Exactly.Madonna already made her millions from this album,even before it was released.Warners also got their share from all those promotional tie-ins and lucrative deals.

HITS:

9 10 MADONNA WARNER BROS. 33,155 -12%

HARD CANDY

SoundScan:

SDV: 741

5/17: 1 MADONNA HARD CANDY 279,522 741 999 280,273

5/24: 3 MADONNA HARD CANDY 94,177 279,522 -66.3% 374,450

5/31: 8 MADONNA HARD CANDY 53,302 94,177 -43% 427,752

6/07: 9 MADONNA HARD CANDY 38,632 53,302 -28% 466,384

6/14: 10 MADONNA HARD CANDY 33,155 38,632 -14% 499,539 - uisng the HITS figures

Can someone post the US week-by-week sales for the AL album. It's so hard to find the information you're looking for in this forum. I could not even find it in the old one.

Thank You

Guest socalboy1984
I think 4 Minutes is a monster hit. You have to live under a rock or be an old fart to have not heard it once. All you have to do is walk up to some random person and say "MA-DON-NA" and they are going to know exactly what you are talking about. :lol:

haha i bet you've done that, gone up to some random person and busted that out. :-)

i love your posts.

Guest nothingfails0603
It's right above your post!!!!

hun he was asking for American Life sales, not HC

Guest nothingfails0603

I gotta give it to the Americans for a change. With HC's less than blockbuster opening, I figured for sure the album would peter out quickly and have a similar trajectory to American Life and wind up selling even less (since 2008 sales are down quite a bit from 2003) but luckily sales seem to have stabilized quite a bit and even though it's doubtful this will even match up to COADF's numbers (even though there could be a chance it'll go over 1m if The Beat Goes On is the third US single and the label doesn't wait too long after GI2M has peaked) and the album is still being pushed around the holidays), it's doing better comparatively than it originally looked set to do.

I admit I am not big on Hard Candy and think it's perhaps her weakest effort (I do love about a third of the album, can tolerate another third and pretty much skip the other third). I still didn't want a major flop along the lines of American Life considering how blatantly commercial this album is.

With the tour so close to the release, I wonder if the tour will keep sales steady.... this hasn't happened to her since BA/I'm Breathless (although one can argue that DWT kept Music on the albums chart about two months longer than it would've otherwise), but BA was the last time she had an album less than six months old when she started touring.... Erotica, American Life and Confessions were all practically dunzo by the time the tours started.

AL sales- I believe- can be found on the first page of this thread.

Thanks, I was looking for hours, but did not look there.

Thanks again!

HARD CANDY has really grown on me the more I've listened to it! I even enjoying the Timbaland songs after hating them initially! But, Madonna/Pharrell are great together, those songs make the album! :thumbsup:

Good news it's still Top 10 in the U.S!

Only a matter of time before some start crying and express their shock that it's one spot out of the top 10, with 4M- Featuring Justin Timberlake- being such a MONSTER hit and all...

WORST

It isn't a tragedy you know. #11 is pretty decent.

i just hope the BB figures are a little higher than HDD for HC... and the decline being smaller compared to other albums is quite promising... let's just hope it's gonna be this way until GI2M is in full gear...