Queen Margrethe II of Denmark abdicates after 52 years on the throne

Yesterday, during her annual New Year's address, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark announced her intention to abdicate on live television. She will formally step down on 14 January 2024, 52 years to the day since she became queen.

Not only is she the longest-serving monarch in Danish history, she is also the world's only reigning queen following the death of Queen Elizabeth II and the world's longest-serving living monarch.

I wouldn't exactly call myself a staunch royalist, but as a Dane I most certainly felt the presence of history yesterday when I watched the Queen's New Year's address, as we always do on New Year's Eve at 18:00. What an ending to the year!

18 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Mary Donaldson from Tasmania Australia is now the Queen of Denmark.  :inlove:  Australia has a great interest in the Danish royal family.  

Not quite yet 😉

Queen Margrethe won't abdicate until 14 January, during a Council of State starting at 14:00 CET.

At 15:00, Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen will then proclaim the new King of Denmark from the balcony of Christianborg Palace.

57 minutes ago, Confessit said:

Where I’m from you are the monarch until your last breath.

No retirement is possible but I wish the former Queen well.

That's might be the tradition, as it has also been in Denmark so far, but abdication is legally possible in the UK, although it requires an act of Parliament.

The most recent British monarch to abdicate was King Edward VIII, who abdicated in 1936.

7 minutes ago, Msig said:

That's might be the tradition, as it has also been in Denmark so far, but abdication is legally possible in the UK, although it requires an act of Parliament.

The most recent British monarch to abdicate was King Edward VIII, who abdicated in 1936.

That is true but it was once in 1000 years of British royal family history.

In Britain the tradition is you are the monarch for your whole life.

I respect they give it up for younger people but in Britain it’s believed it is your duty for your whole life.

22 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Mary Donaldson from Tasmania Australia is now the Queen of Denmark.  :inlove:  Australia has a great interest in the Danish royal family.  

4 hours ago, Msig said:

Not quite yet 😉

Queen Margrethe won't abdicate until 14 January, during a Council of State starting at 14:00 CET.

At 15:00, Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen will then proclaim the new King of Denmark from the balcony of Christianborg Palace.

I wish there were more ceremony involved, I would have popped over to support our girl becoming Queen.

12 hours ago, Paul said:

I wish there were more ceremony involved, I would have popped over to support our girl becoming Queen.

That would have been almost as surprising as the abdication itself.

In Denmark, the tradition of coronations was discontinued several centuries ago. When absolute monarchy was introduced in 1660, the coronation ritual was replaced with a simpler anointment ceremony, which was in turn abolished when Denmark got its first democratic constitution in 1849.

7 hours ago, Msig said:

That would have been almost as surprising as the abdication itself.

In Denmark, the tradition of coronations was discontinued several centuries ago. When absolute monarchy was introduced in 1660, the coronation ritual was replaced with a simpler anointment ceremony, which was in turn abolished when Denmark got its first democratic constitution in 1849.

I kinda hate it cuz coronations are cute and pretty but I kinda like it cuz no public money is wasted on a ritual 

that having said, the Aunt Daisy is probably the coolest (reigning) royal to her credit, in the modern history… chain smoking, art making, theater costume designing 👍🏼

On 1/1/2024 at 9:19 PM, Msig said:

Yesterday, during her annual New Year's address, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark announced her intention to abdicate on live television. She will formally step down on 14 January 2024, 52 years to the day since she became queen.

Not only is she the longest-serving monarch in Danish history, she is also the world's only reigning queen following the death of Queen Elizabeth II and the world's longest-serving living monarch.

I wouldn't exactly call myself a staunch royalist, but as a Dane I most certainly felt the presence of history yesterday when I watched the Queen's New Year's address, as we always do on New Year's Eve at 18:00. What an ending to the year!

I completely understand. QEII was a constant presence throughout my whole life while prime ministers came and went. It really is the end of an era when something like this happens and unsettling with regards to the future. 

1 hour ago, promise to try said:

so is it true that the new king is having an affair with Genoveva casanova?

Just rumours.

Queen Margrethe II has now formally abdicated, and Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen has proclaimed King Frederik X from the balcony of Christianborg Palace.

4e6a4fe7-68ec-4a9c-8f4a-b2ad3cb6dd99?ixl

18 hours ago, Confessit said:

He is.

But so is the King of Spain.

Not into him. I do like Haakon… future Norwegian king, there are some shirtless pix of him, he plays the guitar and has a nice low voice