Bus driver dies days after ‘barbaric’ attack by anti-mask passengers (France)

Bus driver dies days after ‘barbaric’ attack by anti-mask passengers

By JOSEPH WILKINSON

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

JUL 11, 2020 AT 8:11 AM

54BCHDG4SD7PDX7H3FZHZC2XTQ.jpg

Veronique Monguillot, wife of Philippe Monguillot, a bus driver who was attacked, holds a photo of her with her husband, during a protest march in Bayonne, France on Wednesday. (Bob Edme/AP)

Multiple people in France have been charged with attacking and killing a bus driver who asked them to wear masks.

Philippe Monguillot, 59, was driving his bus Sunday in the southwestern town of Bayonne when he asked three passengers to wear masks, the Guardian reported. Mask-wearing is mandatory on public transportation in France.

Passengers then attacked Monguillot, throwing him off the bus, kicking him and leaving him brain-dead, according to the BBC. His family “decided to let him go” Friday, his daughter Marie told AFP.

Two men were initially charged with attempted murder, but Bayonne prosecutor Jerome Bourrier said he would ask for those charges to be updated now that Monguillot has died, the Guardian reported. The unidentified men are 23 and 22 years old.

Two other people were charged with non-assistance to a person in danger. A fifth person was charged with hiding a suspect.

Bayonne Mayor Claude Olive called the attack “barbaric” and said Monguillot was “a wonderful person.”

Bus drivers in Bayonne have refused to drive the rest of the week in solidarity with Monguillot, according to the Guardian. Wednesday, thousands of people marched with Monguillot’s family to honor him.

2 hours ago, elijah said:

I m interested if they are, simply.

I asked because racism is growing during the pandemi in several countries, blaming immigrants for rising numbers when in fact it's stupid numb nationals behaving like spoiled brats

5 minutes ago, karbatal said:

I asked because racism is growing during the pandemi in several countries, blaming immigrants for rising numbers when in fact it's stupid numb nationals behaving like spoiled brats

True, but I still wonder 😞

• 1 year later...
On 2/12/2022 at 5:09 AM, Creepy Insane Person said:

There’s anti mask people in France? I thought everyone living in France is classy?

When I think France, I think beautiful scenery, Eiffel Tower, croissants, and artistic French people. Not anti mask French people? 

You should go out of Melbourne and travel the world, you know? You would see the world might not be what you think it is.

On 2/12/2022 at 11:09 AM, Creepy Insane Person said:

There’s anti mask people in France? I thought everyone living in France is classy?

When I think France, I think beautiful scenery, Eiffel Tower, croissants, and artistic French people. Not anti mask French people?