MADAME X album reviews

• 4 weeks later...

Finally I have managed to listen to entire LP.. all thanks to M store's delay. :americanlife: 

I must say it doesn't bore me as compare to RH and I kinda enjoy it after playing the LP twice.... I'm playing it right now for the 5th times. (RH is a very loooooong album and it just doesn't raise my interest to play the 3rd time.)

I like "Looking For Mercy", I thought it was a song about her daughter but it wasn't. Surprisingly, "I Rise" sounds better than the one on youtube. I know it's same song but I wasn't distracted by the video and able to concentrate on the song solely.

I checked Taylor’s new Metacritic score (81) since it’s boring for me and went to see Madame X score and was slightly surprised that it is 70, higher than AL, HC, MDNA and RH, so I’m happy that in the end some reviewers finally served justice and recognized the album for what it is.

• 3 weeks later...

This is from a minor gay local magazine in New Jersey but it’s a nice little review they just posted.

https://outinjersey.net/the-supermodel-of-the-world-a-broadway-songbird-madame-x-herself/

MADONNA 

Madonna has inhabited every kind of incarnation from a cowgirl motif for Music to virginal bride for Like A Virgin to disco queen for Confessions On A Dance Floor, but it’s her latest metamorphosis that has her fans and detractors alike buzzing. Yes, Madame X has arrived, and according to Madonna she is many things but one thing is certain; the provocateur that Madonna has always been is a large part of both who Madame X is and what the album consists of. No, this is not Madonna at the disco, which many fans are begging for. This is a Madonna who stayed true to her own artistic integrity and crafted an album that represents her at this juncture of her career.

The lead single is the whispery “Medellin,” which has ample guest stars from the smoldering Colombian superstar Maluma, with a track named for the Colombian city of Medellin. The album itself is almost two truly different sides of Madonna, with one showcasing the artist that she has become in the sting-heavy “Crave” and Middle Eastern-influenced “Extreme Occident.” The other side of this Madonna showcases the rebellious renegade that we have always known her to be, one that has never been afraid of speaking up for the injustices that she sees. “God Control” showcases one of the most raw and heartbreaking videos this artist has ever released, with a nightclub shooting being the centerpiece of this very real and unfortunately necessary track. “I Rise” is a crowning achievement on this package, and is the torch song anthem that many of us have been wanting Madonna to release for so long. Sparking the movement at the Stonewall on New Years Eve, “I Rise” is a culmination of Madonna’s decades-long advocacy for the LGBT community and the video released along with it showcases both how far we have come and how far we have to go. Madame X is a bit of a departure, but it also shows why Madonna herself remains the gold standard.

• 1 month later...

The Best Albums of the 2010s: Madonna’s ‘Madame X’

Madonna’s radically adventurous and globally-inspired Madame X polarized fans and critics for good reason. It’s her least accessible album, but it’s also up there with the best she’s ever made. Including language barriers (“Medellín”, “Faz Gostoso”), disparate musical genres (“Crave” vs. “Batuka”), and lyrics that ignite controversy (“God Control”, “Killers Who Are Partying”), Madame X was not for the casual Madonna fan that rolled their eyes at the Hebrew vibes of “Isaac” on 2005’s Confessions on a Dance Floor. Years from now, we’ll look back on Madame X as the Madonna album that’s most closely aligned with the real Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone, and one of her most artistically audacious and authentic offerings.

https://www.albumism.com/lists1/110-best-albums-of-the-2010s-madonna-madame-x

23 hours ago, Beautiful Killer said:

Madonna’s radically adventurous and globally-inspired Madame X polarized fans and critics for good reason. It’s her least accessible album, but it’s also up there with the best she’s ever made. Including language barriers (“Medellín”, “Faz Gostoso”), disparate musical genres (“Crave” vs. “Batuka”), and lyrics that ignite controversy (“God Control”, “Killers Who Are Partying”), Madame X was not for the casual Madonna fan that rolled their eyes at the Hebrew vibes of “Isaac” on 2005’s Confessions on a Dance Floor. Years from now, we’ll look back on Madame X as the Madonna album that’s most closely aligned with the real Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone, and one of her most artistically audacious and authentic offerings.

Awesome! I was looking for 2019 Best Albums list but decade? Yes, for sure. 

On 11/7/2019 at 2:56 PM, Beautiful Killer said:

A real icon! 

On 11/7/2019 at 11:56 PM, Beautiful Killer said:

Hell yeah!!!!!!

On 11/9/2019 at 6:43 AM, Mozo1 said:

Awesome! I was looking for 2019 Best Albums list but decade? Yes, for sure. 

MX rocks. It’s the only album I’ve bought from 2019 and the only one I care about.

Guest Future feat Quavo
On 11/14/2019 at 9:04 AM, animalinstinct said:

It will be interesting to see where it holds up in the Best Albums in the end of year lists

I don't think there'll be many 2019 year-end lists...every publication seems to be focusing on decade end rankings rn

Sucks bc it got some great reviews...it could've places high on some pop album rankings