French designer Gaultier defends Madonna on ageism

jaron

http://www.businessoffashion.com/articles/news-analysis/gaultier-confesses-why-he-quit-ready-to-wear

Looking back through his four decades of creations he recalls the surprising origin of the bustier that first made him a household name in the U.S. —when a certain pop star from Michigan wore it on her "Blond Ambition" tour in 1990.

"It was not Madonna who wore my first conical bra, it was Nana my Teddy Bear. And when I was six, I wanted to have a doll, but my parents didn't find it politically correct for a boy," he said.

Madonna is still very much in his heart — and he defended her against ageist criticism that her fall in this year's Brit Awards showed that, at 56 years old, she should be hanging up her pointy bra once and for all.

"Why do they attack her because of her age, and they don't do it to men?" he asked.

"She got up as if it was nothing and to fall must have hurt a lot. She could have killed herself," he said. "She's a miracle because, well, she's Madonna."

Gautier comments are welcomed and glad he has never turned his back like other assholes.

I watched him on a TV special with Conchita where they walked around Vienna for the day. It was really amazing to see how positive he talked about M and her impact on pop culture.

Love him. Amazed at how people are making age related jabs at Madonna all of the time. You only have to watch her latest performances and interviews to see how incredible she is. Shows me that they are just already hostile towards either Madonna or women in general.

I love Gaultier and always have. His exhibition in London last year was SUBLIME!

Gaultier is adorable. He will never say anything bad about Madonna simply because she saved his life. When he started making the costumes for the blond Ambition tour not only his company was in debt but his longtime partner Francis Menuche died of AIDS. She embarked him on this project that really put his name out there further than in the pages of fashion mags and the elite. It also distracted him from his grief.

Gautier comments are welcomed and glad he has never turned his back like other assholes.

I watched him on a TV special with Conchita where they walked around Vienna for the day. It was really amazing to see how positive he talked about M and her impact on pop culture.

:thumbsup:

Even when he was palling around with you-know-who he said that he liked her because she was as obsessed with Madonna as he was :lol:

Gaultier is adorable. He will never say anything bad about Madonna simply because she saved his life. When he started making the costumes for the blond Ambition tour not only his company was in debt but his longtime partner Francis Menuche died of AIDS. She embarked him on this project that really put his name out there further than in the pages of fashion mags and the elite. It also distracted him from his grief.

Aww I didn't know this. I'm glad JPG and M are still friends.

As far as I know, Gaultier was always hired for Madonnas tour.

DWT - Lo que siente mujer section,

Reinvention - first section,

COAD - ?

Sticky - ?

MDNA - Vogue Section

COAD - ?

Sticky - ?

MDNA - Vogue Section

I'm pretty sure he did the equestrian costume section for COAD

Wow...I didn't know that. I've never doubted Madonna is a lady

I'm pretty sure he did the equestrian costume section for COAD

He did the whole show! He wanted everyone to dress up as Donna Summer, the Village People etc. for the disco section, but Madonna insisted on the ABBA outfit

Guest Pud Whacker

COAD - ?

Sticky - ?

MDNA - Vogue Section

Reinvention was Lacroix.

Love him. Amazed at how people are making age related jabs at Madonna all of the time. You only have to watch her latest performances and interviews to see how incredible she is. Shows me that they are just already hostile towards either Madonna or women in general.

i guess remaining on the spotlight at high levels for 30+ years really have drawbacks, it will make people feel that you're a dinosaur for being around for like, eternity... but when you're Cher or Babs who doesn't enjoy mainstream popularity, they would hardly recognize you've had something done or none, they wouldn't care about your age...