Madonna Instagram Thread

Camacho

The quote was said by Margaret Thatcher. She posted the quote because she liked the quote and related to it on a personal level not because she agrees with Margaret Thatcher's political views. The problem with Madonna and instagram is that she overestimates the intelligence of people. The problem with social media is everyone is quick to jump down someone's throat without knowing the facts or even listening. You can like someone's quote without agreeing with them politically. I don't find that hard to understand at all.

Pretty much.

Oh please, the very fact that Thatcher disliked women and stigmatized gays should be enough for Madge to choose another "powerful woman that rubbish gays like" to quote, to make whatever point she's trying to make.

Anyway, she DELETED the post, as she should have.

The quote was said by Margaret Thatcher. She posted the quote because she liked the quote and related to it on a personal level not because she agrees with Margaret Thatcher's political views. The problem with Madonna and instagram is that she overestimates the intelligence of people. The problem with social media is everyone is quick to jump down someone's throat without knowing the facts or even listening. You can like someone's quote without agreeing with them politically. I don't find that hard to understand at all.

You are absolutely right. But that is the exact problem. Pop stars and celebrities use Instagram to relate to their audience in a staged, dual purpose way... They get to be (slightly) candid while they promote their brand and that gets plenty of mileage when it comes to image.

Madonna's use of Instagram has been an image fiasco no matter how you chop it- if she's overestimating people's intelligence then it just shows you how ignorant she is to the death trap that is social media, and presents her as very out of touch. She jumped on it with the same intention as Rihanna, Beyonce, Kylie Jenner, etc... To get people hyped up about their projects and be a little more candid while they do it... Instead her naïve behavior and lack of "supervision" (don't know what other word to use) has been a total PR mess. Jacket/Tshirt mentioned awhile ago that she needed some social media seminars to get her up to speed and I agree :lmao:

We as fans know Madonna is not an idiot and we get her cheekiness, we have been watching her for years and we know her in a way that the casual observer doesn't. The rest of the world doesn't and that's why she is now viewed as a bit of a joke now. I hate to say it.

If anyone can turn that around tho, it's Madonna. A hit single and successful tour gives her ammo, but it's like all the cards are stacked against that too right now.

Sigh, you can't always win.

Did she really post that Thatcher thing? What a slap in the face of her gay fans.

Americans and all non-Europeans in general really see her as some kind of powerful woman loved by everyone and icon (gay icon too) with great policies that helped everyone and caused no controversies.

I remember the day she died some American friends asked me "Is everyone sad there?" and I was like "Um, no. Actually my flatmates are having a party." I know it's distasteful to celebrate someone's death, but it shows how polarizing she was.

It would be like posting a Ronald Reagan quote.

EDIT: TheDaily Mirror and other papers are all over it already and point out how she deleted the post after a few minutes. The Sun and the Daily Mail will probably praise M tomorrow. :lmao:

http://www.mirror.co...stagram-5555343

You are absolutely right. But that is the exact problem. Pop stars and celebrities use Instagram to relate to their audience in a staged, dual purpose way... They get to be (slightly) candid while they promote their brand and that gets plenty of mileage when it comes to image.

Madonna's use of Instagram has been an image fiasco no matter how you chop it- if she's overestimating people's intelligence then it just shows you how ignorant she is to the death trap that is social media, and presents her as very out of touch. She jumped on it with the same intention as Rihanna, Beyonce, Kylie Jenner, etc... To get people hyped up about their projects and be a little more candid while they do it... Instead her naïve behavior and lack of "supervision" (don't know what other word to use) has been a total PR mess. Jacket/Tshirt mentioned awhile ago that she needed some social media seminars to get her up to speed and I agree :lmao:

We as fans know Madonna is not an idiot and we get her cheekiness, we have been watching her for years and we know her in a way that the casual observer doesn't. The rest of the world doesn't and that's why she is now viewed as a bit of a joke now. I hate to say it.

If anyone can turn that around tho, it's Madonna. A hit single and successful tour gives her ammo, but it's like all the cards are stacked against that too right now.

Sigh, you can't always win.

So she should not treat people with respect and speak to people like they're five year olds? Isn't that patronizing?

yes i agree glinda. thats the problem with instagram & social media: everything is a soundbite and people take shit so seriously and can't think anymore. i could say hitler must have a lot of charm and charisma to him to help achieve what he wanted and got so many people to fall for it, yet it would be misinterpreted because people online are PC and well.. stupid.

So she should not treat people with respect and speak to people like they're five year olds? Isn't that patronizing?

on instagram etc yeah, you have to be PC friendly and make sure people cannot take things out of context especially when its about sensitive stuff. it was easier just a few years ago but you can even see some examples in this topic of people who take her margaret post wrong, so you can see that haters will do the same

You see this is the problem I have with this forum. You guys jump to the most idiotic conclusions.

No she doesn't need to treat us like Pre-K students. Just stop.

Look at how Rihanna uses Instagram. Or Diplo. They just post a pic of something they like, a sexy selfie, a video of the audience at their show, a candid airplane pic. A link to their latest video, an album announcement, etc.

Madonna has no social media etiquette. She gets worked up, she overestimates her audience's knowledge and intelligence (as Glinda wisely pointed out), she tries to make statements, she gets confused when ppl come for her. She is very new to the Internet of the millenials which is very cruel. Madonna is a mother! In her 50s at that. She is too busy. She doesn't get today's internet culture, she's been too busy making a billion dollars. And she doesn't need to get it, much less feel pressured to.

Madonna makes poignant statements by SPEAKING, singing, performing, etc. She always has and still does. She cannot translate any of that on social media. Most people can't. It's the wrong venue and it has continually bit her in the ass multiple times.

I am in full support of Madonna being controversial and bold but from behind her iPhone screen, she can't make it look or sound good. She is above social media and yet she keeps trying to mingle with it. It's frustrating to me.

Just my 2 cents

It would be like posting a Ronald Reagan quote.

Exactly what I was thinking, seeing as they were famous buddies afterall. I'm sure I could scour the net and find a quote from Reagan that I agree with. Would I up it on Instagram? Hell no, because I'm aware of his history. Madge, like you say, probably just thought "powerful woman" until her UK fans gave her a history lesson.

I'm not sure why you directed this at me. I know M didn't say the quote, doesn't agree w/ Thatcher's views but that she could relate to it on a personal level. I also never said anything was hard to understand lol..

Don't get me wrong. Considering M's fan base, I do think she could've chosen another unliked person.

..Look at how Rihanna uses Instagram. Or Diplo. They just post a pic of something they like, a sexy selfie, a video of the audience at their show, a candid airplane pic. A link to their latest video, an album announcement, etc....

In other words, mindless brain-dead crap. Goodness, is that what you would prefer M gravitate toward?

You see this is the problem I have with this forum. You guys jump to the most idiotic conclusions.

No she doesn't need to treat us like Pre-K students. Just stop.

Look at how Rihanna uses Instagram. Or Diplo. They just post a pic of something they like, a sexy selfie, a video of the audience at their show, a candid airplane pic. A link to their latest video, an album announcement, etc.

Madonna has no social media etiquette. She gets worked up, she overestimates her audience's knowledge and intelligence (as Glinda wisely pointed out), she tries to make statements, she gets confused when ppl come for her. She is very new to the Internet of the millenials which is very cruel. Madonna is a mother! In her 50s at that. She is too busy. She doesn't get today's internet culture, she's been too busy making a billion dollars. And she doesn't need to get it, much less feel pressured to.

Madonna makes poignant statements by SPEAKING, singing, performing, etc. She always has and still does. She cannot translate any of that on social media. Most people can't. It's the wrong venue and it has continually bit her in the ass multiple times.

I am in full support of Madonna being controversial and bold but from behind her iPhone screen, she can't make it look or sound good. She is above social media and yet she keeps trying to mingle with it. It's frustrating to me.

Just my 2 cents

You want her to hold back though. You do. I don't want her to. That's the only difference in our opinions. Let me tell you something and this has nothing to do with you. Madonna sure as hell never supported that woman's politics but her fans ain't just quoting people that hate HER guts but have 0 problem giving a ton of support to them.

In other words, mindless brain-dead crap. Goodness, is that what you would prefer M gravitate toward?

I'll take that over Marg Thatch quotes, then immediate embarrassing deletions, #disnigga messes, the Rebel Heart album cover nonsense, no spellcheck, artistic rape/terrorism statements, etc.

Madonna is right, today's Internet world is too PC and too policed which is why Instagram is the wrong place for her. It has done nothing but tarnish her image and I happen to think she deserves a better rep.

For what it's worth, I don't think Diplo or Rihanna have "mindless" instagram feeds. They're entertaining and sexy. Something Madonna embodied while those two were in diapers.

Madonna's Instagram is jus GAFFE AFTER GAFFE. That's not the Madonna I know! If she wants to play the game (and believe me she does), she's gonna have to play it right or she'll get laughed out of it. And she has. She can come back into it but who is gonna tell her like it is? I feel like no one is.

but you can even see some examples in this topic of people who take her margaret post wrong, so you can see that haters will do the same

Really now? Regardless of how fitting the quote, choosing one from someone who was anti-women, anti-gay and anti-poor is just ...ill advised at best. There was nothing ironic or knowing about it either, it was simply quote - "Thank you Margaret Thatcher" (Another powerful woman just like me) It was a bad judgment call, and she realised it almost immediately by not sticking by it like she has others.

You want her to hold back though. You do. I don't want her to. That's the only difference in our opinions. Let me tell you something and this has nothing to do with you. Madonna sure as hell never supported that woman's politics but her fans ain't just quoting people that hate HER guts but have 0 problem giving a ton of support to them.

I want Madonna to deliver her messages intelligently. She has not been doing that at all on Instagram.

What's the use of not holding back if you sound like a teenager when you're 56? No one takes her seriously. And they should! She's just making it easy not to.

Sorry to be harsh but we al know it.

I'll take that over Marg Thatch quotes, then immediate embarrassing deletions, #disnigga messes, the Rebel Heart album cover nonsense, no spellcheck, artistic rape/terrorism statements, etc.

Madonna is right, today's Internet world is too PC and too policed which is why Instagram is the wrong place for her. It has done nothing but tarnish her image and I happen to think she deserves a better rep.

For what it's worth, I don't think Diplo or Rihanna have "mindless" instagram feeds. They're entertaining and sexy. Something Madonna embodied while those two were in diapers.

Madonna's Instagram is jus GAFFE AFTER GAFFE. That's not the Madonna I know! If she wants to play the game (and believe me she does), she's gonna have to play it right or she'll get laughed out of it. And she has. She can come back into it but who is gonna tell her like it is? I feel like no one is.

Well I just flat-out disagree. TEAM REBEL.

Well I just flat-out disagree. TEAM REBEL.

I'm team Rebel too but what's the good in being a rebel if you haven't done your homework :lol:

Madonna can speak so eloquently and intelligently in interviews, only to sound like Lola's classmate on the Internet. It boggles my mind.

These negative responses from media and public are already exhausting!

Still look very forward to M posts, but agree with others that she appears not in touch with the times and social media culture.

Honestly, don't think M words or behavior would matter much, but she's obviously looking for mainstream success from a public that appears to be partly making fun of her. :ugh:

These negative responses from media and public are already exhausting!

Still look very forward to M posts, but agree with others that she appears not in touch with the times and social media culture.

Honestly, don't think M words or behavior would matter much, but she's obviously looking for mainstream success from a public that appears to be partly making fun of her. :ugh:

Today's culture is very forgetful so like I said, all she needs is a sliver of success to undo all the nonsense, but with her current management not doing what they can to force a hit down the public's throat, it's elusive.

I want Madonna to deliver her messages intelligently. She has not been doing that at all on Instagram.

What's the use of not holding back if you sound like a teenager when you're 56? No one takes her seriously. And they should! She's just making it easy not to.

Sorry to be harsh but we al know it.

I just read the quote. If I didn't know who wrote the quote I would like the words. They are just words. You can take away anything you want from them.

I want her to be her. If people don't like her they can stop following her or say they don't like her. If I don't like someone I say I don't like them. The last thing that is going to decide for me whether I like someone or not is what other people think of them.

I just read the quote. If I didn't know who wrote the quote I would like the words. They are just words. You can take away anything you want from them.

I want her to be her. If people don't like her they can stop following her or say they don't like her. If I don't like someone I say I don't like them. The last thing that is going to decide for me whether I like someone or not is what other people think of them.

The Thatch thing doesn't bother me all that much, I'm just ranting about this cuz Madonna has been displaying a pattern over the last year or two since signing up for Instagram and I wish someone would just sit her down and explain to her why it's gotten her in so much hot water.

Just like the Brits fall, just like the leaks, just like the Drake reaction (tho the latter was not a big deal IMO)... She has been getting bad PR and ridicule over things that were not intended to cause that reaction. This isn't 1992 or 2012 with the tit. Madonna's instagram fiascos were the result of total innocent, naive behavior and it's adorable that she doesn't get it, but only to a point.

I agree Madonna approaches social media in some ways the same way as traditional media, doing and saying things to provoke and generate a response. Rihanna and the others don't do anything like this because they see their role as purely entertainers and therefore want to stay on message. Madonna is interested in political art and therefore speaks her mind without worrying about the consequences. I guess that can seem naive. I see it as she is aware of what will result but does it anyway perhaps to start a dialogue about the sometimes vitriolic culture around social media. She has alluded to this in a couple of interviews. I agree it hasn't always gone well, but I want her to keep trying and maybe even influence how it evolves. Oddly enough the things I am the most unsure about are relating to her kids, normal life, etc because I think it can diminish her mystique a bit, even though that's supposed to be the standard purpose, to make her relatable.

I agree Madonna approaches social media in some ways the same way as traditional media, doing and saying things to provoke and generate a response. Rihanna and the others don't do anything like this because they see their role as purely entertainers and therefore want to stay on message. Madonna is interested in political art and therefore speaks her mind without worrying about the consequences. I guess that can seem naive. I see it as she is aware of what will result but does it anyway perhaps to start a dialogue about the sometimes vitriolic culture around social media. She has alluded to this in a couple of interviews. I agree it hasn't always gone well, but I want her to keep trying and maybe even influence how it evolves. Oddly enough the things I am the most unsure about are relating to her kids, normal life, etc because I think it can diminish her mystique a bit, even though that's supposed to be the standard purpose, to make her relatable.

I disagree that it has been about speaking her mind and being brave. She's had to walk back and explain a number of things and flat out delete posts. None of which really created dialogue at all, or were really meant to. She's not savvy to today's online environment. Which is to be expected when you're in your 50s and do nothing but work, create, perform, repeat for years on end. She's not like us who have much more intimately watched the ever evolving monster that is the Internet.

Becuz of this she's not very graceful on social media and is falling right into the haters hands. I don't mind Madonna having haters. I do mind when she's getting haters for reasons that are completely ridiculous. I hate hearing people call Madonna an idiot. She's not. But she hasn't done much to convince ppl otherwise when it comes to social media. Like I said, she sounds very teenager sometimes and I don't understand it.

I disagree that it has been about speaking her mind and being brave. She's had to walk back and explain a number of things and flat out delete posts. None of which really created dialogue at all, or were really meant to. She's not savvy to today's online environment. Which is to be expected when you're in your 50s and do nothing but work, create, perform, repeat for years on end. She's not like us who have much more intimately watched the ever evolving monster that is the Internet.

Becuz of this she's not very graceful on social media and is falling right into the haters hands. I don't mind Madonna having haters. I do mind when she's getting haters for reasons that are completely ridiculous. I hate hearing people call Madonna an idiot. She's not. But she hasn't done much to convince ppl otherwise when it comes to social media. Like I said, she sounds very teenager sometimes and I don't understand it.

But don't you think it was the same in other areas as well, for example when she made W/E and did interviews in which she was defending how the movie glossed over the nazi connections, etc. A lot of people didn't buy it. If you go back through her interviews, she's also also never given a consistent explanation of why she made the Sex book. It's not so much the medium as that her messages are sometimes messy and inconsistent. And on top of it, if you're a controversial person or do controversial things, you're going to get negative feedback, regardless of the platform you use. I think it's the same here, it's just here there is a more direct way for people to voice their opposing views. Which is fine, as long as it is done in the interest of furthering the conversation rather than out of hate. That's the part I think she is trying to influence.

Some of the things she's deleted I don't think she should have deleted. She should have explained, which I don't see as a problem, that's part of having a discussion.

Oh well I won't even bother defending her this time. I understand that she probably just feels connected to thatCher's quote not her politics, but the way that she presented her post was a stupid flamebait. I'm all for her expressing herself but she isn't doing it very wisely on social media. If she has that IDGAF attitude towards social media then I probably won't care either. But then we all know she will post 1253 pics on IG the next day to defend herself...

Maybe she's intentionally deconstructing her reputation so that she can have a full blown comeback next time :rotfl: