Glasgow - The Hydro - 20th Dec - last show before Xmas

Kim

The screen cut out and lights went up, the musicians went off stage but then they all came back. The dancers appeared and the screen started again, only for it to go off

Also Madonna as she went off on unapologetic clearly said she was coming back to do holiday no matter what happens. So they knew it was coming

I don't get the thing with the curfew. Some say there is one, some say there is none. What's the truth?

Is the Hydro in an residential area? If not, why is there a curfew? Quite frankly, I start to believe that cities implement those curfews to hide how horrible their public transport is. Many times I have heard how people were stuck when a show ended late because they couldn't catch the last train or bus. I seriously believe it should be the responsibilty and in the public interest of a city to organize the public transport in a way that people can use it even late at night when such high profile events take place. Afterall those events bring money for local business and therefore taxes for the community. I don't say they need to run all public transport 24/7 but at least the transport links to an arena or stadium should run later than midnight when there is a big event.

I don't get the thing with the curfew. Some say there is one, some say there is none. What's the truth?

Is the Hydro in an residential area? If not, why is there a curfew? Quite frankly, I start to believe that cities implement those curfews to hide how horrible their public transport is. Many times I have heard how people were stuck when a show ended late because they couldn't catch the last train or bus. I seriously believe it should be the responsibilty and in the public of a city to organize the public transport in a way that people can use it even late at night when such high profile events take place. Afterall those events bring money for local business and therefore taxes for the community. I don't say they need to run all public transport 24/7 but at least the transport links to an arena or stadium should run later than midnight when there is a big event.

Why would they pull the plug on her otherwise? There is curfew and it's 11:30pm. After that she was being charged £1000 for each minute the show went over. That's all info from people who work at the venue. I don't buy the argument that people can't catch the last bus etc - nobody is forcing anyone to stay there, people can make that decision for themselves rather than having the venue pull the plug on an artist. There are plenty of acts whose shows aren't as structured as Madonna's and who have multiple encores - it's a fucking rock concert, get over it.

I actually got the impression they wanted her to finish after Material Girl - when she was walking with the veil towards the end of the song she kept mumbling something decisively into her mic between singing her lines. This would also explain why the 2 dancers that are usually there and interact with her were nowhere to be seen (and there was noone to take her ukulele after La Vie En Rose) and why the red drape underneath the round stage lift was missing. It was also quite telling when she said in that section "I love you Scotland, no matter what happens".

Either way, that was probably the most amazing Madonna gig I've been to - total class!

^^^ Okay, so there is a curfew. Again, why is there a curfew in the first place? Is it in a residential area and people need to be protected from noise late at night? If not, why is there a curfew? I gave my impression on it. Please don't tell me that it's peoples problem when many UK cities have a shitty public transport.

Guest Rachelle of London

^^^ Okay, so there is a curfew. Again, why is there a curfew in the first place? Is it in a residential area and people need to be protected from noise late at night? If not, why is there a curfew? I gave my impression on it. Please don't tell me that it's peoples problem when many UK cities have a shitty public transport.

Ask the Hydro. Seriously. Email them. The NIA In Birmingham is in a residential area and the show had no problems.

Most UK cities have late licencing restrictions for entertainment. You can apply for a late licence, a venue can impose their own curfew or "closing time" or penalty for going over that. It's just the way it is until such times as it...isn't. In the case of the Hydro/SECC, I've never heard of then pulling the plug ever. The artist either pays the fine or they come on on time. It works both ways.

A train service might put on extra trains on the day or night of an event but why should they run late so that people with their cheap return ticket can get home? How are they meant to know wether a show will end at 10:30pm or 1am? Not their problem. If they don't see the economic reason for doing it, then they wont.

Anyway. It was an amazing show, and despite everything, she was so damn funny and good-natured all night. Moreover, unlike that Edinburgh MDNA debacle, which put so many people off buying tix for this show, I haven't heard or read ONE bad thing about last nights concert anywhere.

Ask the Hydro. Seriously. Email them. The NIA In Birmingham is in a residential area and the show had no problems.

Apparently she already paid her late fee before the Brum show. And after Manchester, she had to bounce back right away anyway.

Personally I don't really see the problem with just coming on 10 minutes earlier or whatever, depending on where she is, but oh well.

"I love you Scotland, no matter what happens" - gotta love how dramatic she is!

Well, I for once don't believe for a second she gladly said that she's cool with cutting her show short. Maybe she said "they can do whatever they want", with that PLAN B in her head.

QUEEN!!

WOW. Those pictures are amazing, Kim! :inlove:

I loved her performance of holiday too! She looked like she had fun! And all those fans singing it....it was a magical moment! Something special!

I don't suppose any of it really matters now, but the 11pm curfew is flexible and changes depending on the act that night.

The Daily Record is a tabloid, the BBC is, well, the BBC.

Old school Madonna didn't change her set, new school does, so we can't really go by that

She definitely mentions doing Holiday as she's leaving the stage after UB, possibly as a way of telling her people to keep the show going. Her own crew were literally starting to take the set apart as she sang Holiday.

Who knows? It all makes for a good story anyway.

The BBC News with surprisingly bad proofreading though. :chuckle: Thanks for the clarification about the flexible curfew.

Bit of a mystery to it all but I agree with you, none of it matters now. We did get an incredible show and a unique encore.

Holiday was so much fun to watch and M was happy!

z4SyzRTL.gif

UB Jim from Edinburgh. M and her Scottish accent. :laugh: Rushed but still fun.

Notice what she says as she gets off stage! something like "I'm NOT stopping my show. Gonna come out and sing Holiday" :laugh:

Edited by Daphna26

Most UK cities have late licencing restrictions for entertainment. You can apply for a late licence, a venue can impose their own curfew or "closing time" or penalty for going over that. It's just the way it is until such times as it...isn't. In the case of the Hydro/SECC, I've never heard of then pulling the plug ever. The artist either pays the fine or they come on on time. It works both ways.

A train service might put on extra trains on the day or night of an event but why should they run late so that people with their cheap return ticket can get home? How are they meant to know wether a show will end at 10:30pm or 1am? Not their problem. If they don't see the economic reason for doing it, then they wont.

Anyway. It was an amazing show, and despite everything, she was so damn funny and good-natured all night. Moreover, unlike that Edinburgh MDNA debacle, which put so many people off buying tix for this show, I haven't heard or read ONE bad thing about last nights concert anywhere.

thank you