Universal/Live Nation contracts

Roland Barthes

Universal is a 3 albums distribution & marketing deal. Does MDNA tour counts as an album so Rebel Heart is the last album with Universal ?

Live Nation 360 deal signed in 2007 that ends in 2017 : 3 albums deal with 50$-60$ million paid for each once delivered. (is that corret ?)

So this next tour starting in november of 2015 and probably extending into 2016 may possibly be her last from this contract.

Is that right ?

Universal is a 3 albums distribution & marketing deal. Does MDNA tour counts as an album so Rebel Heart is the last album with Universal ?

Live Nation 360 deal signed in 2007 that ends in 2017 : 3 albums deal with 50$-60$ million paid for each once delivered. (is that corret ?)

So this next tour starting in november of 2015 and probably extending into 2016 may possibly be her last from this contract.

Is that right ?

no, mdna tour does not count as one of the 3 albums. they dont pay close to 20 million for a tour album. from the news available thus far, the tour would start way before september. and no it would not be the last from the contract. the deal consists of 4 tours, the first one being sticky & sweet tour. so after rebel heart and the upcoming tour, there is still 1 more album and 1 more tour.

Universal is a 3 albums distribution & marketing deal.

Does MDNA tour counts as an album so Rebel Heart is the last album with Universal ?

Rebel Heart counts as the second album of the 2011 Universal $40m distribution deal. The deal with Universal is for them to distribute three studio albums. Her 2007 Live Nation deal was for three studio albums and four tours. With her post Rebel Heart studio release Madonna will have fullfilled both Universal and LN deals (on the album front). The tour that will accompany the album after RH will instead fullfill the 2007 LN deal also on the touring front. Being the 4th and final one

1.S&S

2.MDNA

3.Rebel Heart Tour

4.Next studio album tour (third studio album in both LN and Universal deals)

Correct, Rebel Heart or its tour are definitely not "farewell album/tour" as some assumed.

http://www.ticketnews.com/news/Madonna-to-embark-on-first-tour-under-Live-Nation-deal5881234

Well they don't seem to honor their contract regarding the handling and management of Madonna.com :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Is it still run by somebody or only by a giant tumbleweed ?

I'm interested what direction she'll be taking after these contracts end. Supposing she'll be in her 60s that point, I wonder if she might rethink how often she wants to work etc.

Will she renew her contracts or look to do things more independently? Given the changing nature of the industry, I wonder if any deal she gets will be more touring based than album centric.

Isnt it an open contract which she can get out of any time? It could be extended or she could opt out. Shes the one in charge. Thats why she once said 'I havent even got a record contract'

Im sure she will get a bonus if she sticks to it though. Yeah it looks like the next album and tour, to whatever extent would finish what she agreed to.

She could pull a Drake and release the demos as a mix tape and be done :lol:

Well really halfway through the tour she could! Release the finished demos, start a second leg and shes done.

I think someone posted it at the time. It's meant to be 4 tours and 3 albums. The first tour was S&S and the first album was MDNA. I thought it was HC but im usually wrong about everything. Hey ho. Im not that bothered! :lol:

Isnt it an open contract which she can get out of any time? It could be extended or she could opt out. Shes the one in charge. Thats why she once said 'I havent even got a record contract'

She said it jokingly in her transitional phase between 2010 WB's last release (S&S DVD) and 2012's MDNA, her first Live Nation album release under the 2007 LN terms before Universal joined in and took her on board for the distribution/marketing/physical release aspects which was known it would happen since 2007, either with WB, Universal or any other "traditional" record company because someone has to actually take care of the physical aspect of the release, something that's not part of Live Nation's job. The announcement of the Universal $40m deal came late in 2011 around the time she was shooting the GMAYL video.

And her contract is flexible in the sense that it's not a contract based on the old industry models of a record company-centred affair but it is rather a total sum of different parts of the business generated within the music industry: image licensing, merchandising, touring, sales (the little left for anyone, older or not, considering record companies are not turning any profits on cd sales per se anymore unless tied to something else).

But she can't "opt out" of anything alltogether, in fact she's clearly shown that she was willing to shut up everyone who was questioning LN's choices and she raked in even more cash than it was predicted she would, by generating in excess of $700 from touring alone in the span of a mere 4 years since that LN deal came into effect in 2008.

Madonna doesn't get deals to opt out of them :lol:

She gets them and proceeds to deliver the goods and then some

tumblr_md5d62Fvgo1rk96voo1_400.gif

I believe she will still release new music even if she's in her 60s.

Barbra Streisand released 5 studio albums so far since 2003 when she was 60yo back then.

This

I think she will focus more on film when she hits her 60's and we may get an album or tour every 5 years. Once she hits 70, I think she will retire from music altogether.

aww picturing Madonna in her 70's wearing her cone bra taking selfies in her bathroom

I can see her releasing music every once in a while after this contract ends. But I don´t think it will continue to be her main goal/activity. As for touring, she´s probably going to stop at some point, unless she goes on more downscaled, sit-and-sing kind of shows, and I do not see Madonna going that route, TBH.

she needs to do a spanish album dammit or something of that nature (different languages album).

OR

greatest hits album spanning her entire career but the hits redone in spanish? lol

then greatest hits tour!!!

she needs to do a spanish album dammit or something of that nature (different languages album).

OR

greatest hits album spanning her entire career but the hits redone in spanish? lol

then greatest hits tour!!!

maybe an umplugged? not exactly one, but something to remember some people that she has marvellous ballads

It's not just about Madonna but i'm also curious about how the music industry will look like in 2017 (2 years) when the contract ends. Will there still be cd's being produced ? Everything is changing so fast.

I guess they will be on demand, maybe not in two years time, but in a few more, I´m sure of it...

yes, down with physical cds already - just put them all on itunes and streaming. done.

Think many people feel the way you do. I still purchase them even though I listen to much of my music on iTunes or streaming.

Hope they don't discontinue cds all together for us collectors, but will eventually happen. :sad: