Madonna Instagram thread continued: the queen continues to defy social media rules

Apples388

I think this would have been a fair article if the author had defined what constituted success in social media in objective terms. Is it number of followers/likes/etc? Is it level of engagement (for example, percentage of followers that respond to a post)? Perhaps it's when followers (fans) exhibit a deeper level of engagement, say for example by recreating the artist's posted album cover art and sharing that? Without a definition/criteria and stats to back it up, it's pretty subjective.

Yes, Madonna was late getting on board. Partly this was due to a mismatch between the existing social networks and who she is. IG fits very well with M, and its no coincidence that she became more engaged when IG took off. Rather than spread thin across multiple platforms, I think it makes sense to focus on the one or two that are most authentic for her.

Yes she had an IG meltdown over the leaked songs. Lady Gaga has twitter meltdowns all the time. Does that mean LG "doesn't have much idea how social media works"?

Yeah her "social accounts have become a hashtag-strewn, meme-littered jamboree". So have Miley's. Does that mean Miley "doesn't have much idea how social media works"?

Where is his article about how these other pop stars don't get social media? Basically, the only thing the author is really saying is 'M is old' and he's uncomfortable with that, either because it makes him feel old too or because it reminds him that he will one day get old himself. This article is not all that much different from the horribly ageist EW article. Except, this author tries to come across as "fair" by saying he likes the new music.. in one sentence, at the very end. But he's pretty sure no one will care about that part after he's spent the rest of it telling us how hopelessly out-dated and irrelevant (i.e. old) Madonna is.

At the end of day, as someone said already it doesn't really matter what this author had to say. For one thing, M has gained followers on IG, FB and Twitter after this controversy, putting the lie to the nonsense in his article. And even if she didn't, what does it matter. because the new music is not merely "good", it's f*in great. And that's what really counts.

THIS !

she said she agreed this was insulting by madonna do do as she considered herself being, particularly by mandela (with whom she shares same birthday...) and martin luther king ones, but indeed she doesn't think this was racist...afterall she pointed out clearly (generalising as usually based on her the audience clapping), that if nobody has already bought the album, definitely nobody would be tempted to buy it, in general (kind of shading overall on madonna losing relevance...) but especially, based on this kind of promotion...anyway I don't consider, she has done for Madonna here anything particularly different then she usually does for everybody else in her show...however :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEz7vJcwkyc

I am not commenting about the faux racism controversy. Its Madonna, she provokes but also has deep messages. If you are not capable to understand that, then its nonsens and a waste of time to comment on them !

Besides that, I really like to see how Rocco grows up. He will be a very gentil and sexy guy. He reminds me of that fashion model

Sean Oprey, and I hope that Rocco will also model, hes really cute and wll be better with the years.

I still, I STILL NOT FUCKING get it!! How come people say she is "crap" at social media?? In my honest opinion she is great at it. Better than the younger ones. She actually wants to make a difference, teach us, challenge our way of thinking, humor us and be the reigning Queen of pop that she is. All at the same time. It is just perfect. <3

Dear media. You can have Miley, Katy, Taylor and other mediocre pop stars and their meaningless IGs.

I still, I STILL NOT FUCKING get it!! How come people say she is "crap" at social media?? In my honest opinion she is great at it. Better than the younger ones. She actually wants to make a difference, teach us, challenge our way of thinking, humor us and be the reigning Queen of pop that she is. All at the same time. It is just perfect. <3

Dear media. You can have Miley, Katy, Taylor and other mediocre pop stars and their meaningless IGs.

I don't get it either. She's constantly in the news for her personal favorite social media account. Sounds like that's working social media just right.

I guess the want her to hit twitter and whine like every other bitch there.

in germany a very distinguished, modern thinking magazin called "zeit magazin" made a nice article about the issue. ok, it s a bit ironically but nice to read...i guess they know that madonna is teasing the masses.

I read that article too, but honestly, I was a bit disappointed. I thought they ridiculed the whole thing, by reducing her to defying ago, whilst ignoring the fact that she has always fought for minorities, before that fight became "mainstream"

I think this would have been a fair article if the author had defined what constituted success in social media in objective terms. Is it number of followers/likes/etc? Is it level of engagement (for example, percentage of followers that respond to a post)? Perhaps it's when followers (fans) exhibit a deeper level of engagement, say for example by recreating the artist's posted album cover art and sharing that? Without a definition/criteria and stats to back it up, it's pretty subjective.

Yes, Madonna was late getting on board. Partly this was due to a mismatch between the existing social networks and who she is. IG fits very well with M, and its no coincidence that she became more engaged when IG took off. Rather than spread thin across multiple platforms, I think it makes sense to focus on the one or two that are most authentic for her.

Yes she had an IG meltdown over the leaked songs. Lady Gaga has twitter meltdowns all the time. Does that mean LG "doesn't have much idea how social media works"?

Yeah her "social accounts have become a hashtag-strewn, meme-littered jamboree". So have Miley's. Does that mean Miley "doesn't have much idea how social media works"?

Where is his article about how these other pop stars don't get social media? Basically, the only thing the author is really saying is 'M is old' and he's uncomfortable with that, either because it makes him feel old too or because it reminds him that he will one day get old himself. This article is not all that much different from the horribly ageist EW article. Except, this author tries to come across as "fair" by saying he likes the new music.. in one sentence, at the very end. But he's pretty sure no one will care about that part after he's spent the rest of it telling us how hopelessly out-dated and irrelevant (i.e. old) Madonna is.

At the end of day, as someone said already it doesn't really matter what this author had to say. For one thing, M has gained followers on IG, FB and Twitter after this controversy, putting the lie to the nonsense in his article. And even if she didn't, what does it matter. because the new music is not merely "good", it's f*in great. And that's what really counts.

This must be spread all over the Internet so these good-for-nothing human beings get bitchslapped!

I don't get it either. She's constantly in the news for her personal favorite social media account. Sounds like that's working social media just right.

I guess the want her to hit twitter and whine like every other bitch there.

AMEN

What about the whole internet thing, memes & shit?

What about post modernism & pop art?

U see people with t-shirts, posters, mugs with

images of these ICONS everywhere...

It's really basically the same.

That was playwright, designer, artist, filmmaker Jean Cocteau, in 1923. I found this remark, and dozens of others, in the fabulous new book “Bohemians, Bootleggers, Flappers and Swells: The Best of Early Vanity Fair.” I’ll tell more about this collection of essays later in the week.

BUT as to Cocteau’s assertion, I was reminded of it over the weekend when our consistently “artistic” friend, Madonna found herself embroiled in yet another controversy.

The cover of her upcoming album, “Rebel Heart,” which was hacked and released in demo form — forcing Madonna to put out six of the completed songs months in advance — shows The Big M with twine binding her face, emphasizing her view of herself as a “rebel” who has been constricted and disparaged. (She achieved this point more compellingly in her famous “Human Nature” video, some years ago.)

FANS of the lady then made up their own “rebel art” sending her photos of Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela with ropes across their faces. Madonna put these efforts online and immediately found herself accused of being “racist” and, of course, an egomaniac, daring to compare herself to King and Mandela.

Madonna is many things, but a racist she is most assuredly not. She has had African American and Latino lovers and has adopted two Malawian children, David and Mercy. Children, by the way, whom she does not parade like “accessories,” as her critics insisted she would do at the time of these adoptions.

Egomaniac? Let’s say she has a healthy dose of ego, mixed with a sense of victimization. This makes her exactly like all big stars. (She is also surprisingly vulnerable — but you would have to know her, to know that.) And in this world of not thinking before one goes to Facebook, Instagram or Twitter, Madonna is no more cautious than hundreds of other public persons and millions of just plain folks. Madonna has now had to address the fake outrage of critics, apologize for any offense, refute charges of being a racist and deny she compares herself in any way to King or Mandela.

Others whom Madonna has wrapped in twine include Princess Diana, Marilyn Monroe, Bob Marley and Jesus, all of whom, in Madonna’s view, fought the good fight, against the odds.

SOME Madonna fans wish she would confine her artistic expressions to the recording studio. Silly! Why should she “confine” herself to anything? The six songs she felt forced to release, in the wake of the hack on her material, went straight to number one on iTunes in 40 countries. She managed to make lemonade out of lemons. As to the songs themselves, three of them are truly beautiful and much reminiscent of the romantic Madonna of the ’80s and ’90s. (“Ghosttown” is particularly affecting.) The other three are dancy and techo-infused. Not my taste. There are six more tracks to come in March.

I do wish Madonna would get over this business of self-reverential, self-referencing songs. One of the new ones is titled, “B—h, I’m Madonna!” Honey, we know you’re Madonna. Nobody is likely to forget, ever. Relax.

Taken from an article by Boston Herald written by Liz Smith

http://madonnaunderground.com/MUreloaded/liz-smith-madonna-a-rebel-constrained/

artist's should express themselves. that's all they are required to do.

the whole world expected rhiana to become a spokesperson for abused women. she just carried on being the artist she wanted to be. let people talk. and as far as wendys "COHOSTS" it's not like they were gonna be like YEAHHHHHHHHHHH madonna when it was obvious it's not the reaction she wanted. it would have just been bad tv. the probably had a sign that said "DO NOT raise your hand. do NOT cheer."

I'm surprised Madonna is still on vacations, considering the fact that the video must be released in one month...

Only the queen :sassy:

Well said!

She is using social media the same way younger artists do, but she is accused of being out of touch. How can she be out of touch, and they not, when they're using it the same way? This writer is showing his ageism very clearly.

She's leaving today or tomorrow, given what she just posted on IG

Yes I've just seen that!

"Goodbye Paradise! Back to werk! #livingforlove ❤️❤️❤️"

Get ready bitches! :madonna2:

Guest Pud Whacker

Wendy spoke about it

she said nobody cares about her anymore and what she did was insensitive not racist

asked her audience if they would buy her new album and they all said NO

I think it's hard for us to understand others not being hardcore fans. But the truth of the matter is were a small percentage of her 'fan base'.

Madonna's New Trolling Technique
34019270-66cb-11e4-8bb3-6b61e4929491_atl
By Spencer Kornhaber1 hour ago

Toward the end of the 1991 documentary Madonna: Truth or Dare, the young superstar confides that she knows she’s “not the best singer and not the best dancer.” But, she says, she’s not interested in being the best. “I'm interested in pushing people's buttons, and being provocative and political.” Coming at the end of nearly two hours of footage of her scandalizing everyone in sight—Toronto cops who threatened to arrest her for faking an orgasm on stage; her own entourage who didn’t expect that she’d commit quite so eagerly to deep-throating a glass bottle—it’s a welcome acknowledgement that Madonna has always known exactly what she’s been up to.

Notice that last part of her mission statement, though: She wants to be provocative and political. Political, really? You can see it, if you squint. She caused a revolution in pop music, and influenced attitudes outside of it, by publicly flaunting her sexuality. Her Catholic blaspheming was a stunt for attention that also dramatized the way that many people struggle with religion’s repressive aspects. And she has loudly championed gay rights and international freedom. If you really wanted to take her political aspirations seriously, you could say she’s been an all-purpose culture warrior for the left, using dance tunes and cone bras and flagrantly inclusive dating habits to assault old ideas about what people, especially women, are allowed to do.

Provocative/political has become so much a part of Madonna’s brand that she can name her 13th album Rebel Heart and not even have to explain the name's meaning. Which, unfortunately, isn’t to say she didn’t then explain its meaning. After releasing six songs online recently, she began tweeting out images of famous icons tied in ropes just like the ones she has on her album cover, with the hashtag “#rebelheart.” Some of the first entries in the series were Marilyn Monroe and Jesus—ambitious but unshocking in the Yeezus era. But then, on Friday, came tweets about Martin Luther King Jr., Nelson Mandela, and Bob Marley. For example:

Accusations of tone-deafness and plain racism came fast. Madonna not only seemed to equate herself with Mandela et. al, but, as Julianne Escobedo Shepherd wrote, was “also apparently oblivious to the concept that a white artist who's made various forms of black music throughout her career showing images of civil rights icons tied up in cord is demeaning.”