Is this the moment where charts finally don't matter

Guest bluejean

Guest bluejean

I mean seriously?

Is this where the loons stop caring how high the first single charts? We don't even really have a first single. I mean, we do, but its sort of lost in the whole leak/rushed release hoopla. It's kind of better this way than all that hype, pressure, hoping, drama etc. No "Why isn't radio playing it" "It's so unfair" "Radio is so ageist" discussions. Living For Love can stall at #78 and who will gives a flying fuck?

I don't even know myself who is/isn't talking about this right now. I'm just so absorbed in the 6 tracks AND the demos. So exciting! And we haven't even heard the whole album or scratched the surface of this era.

I just feel any of new M songs/album deserves to be critically and commercially successful because it's good music, and I'm really proud of what she recorded. On the other hand, long time fans must not allow any disappointing sales to take away how much you enjoy the music.

At this point, i think it's all about hearing new sounds from her. If she can get another top 10, that's great. As you all say, she has nothing to prove anymore.

I think Beyonce's album sort of did that, right? I mean none of the songs were huge out of the gate. There were a few getting attention at the same time. I guess "Drunk in Love" ended up being the big "hit" from the album, but I've always said that approach would be good for M because it's deemphasizes singles - and then there's no chance of a lead single underperforming and people calling the album a flop before it's even released.

I think Beyonce's album sort of did that, right? I mean none of the songs were huge out of the gate. There were a few getting attention at the same time. I guess "Drunk in Love" ended up being the big "hit" from the album, but I've always said that approach would be good for M because it's deemphasizes singles - and then there's no chance of a lead single underperforming and people calling the album a flop before it's even released.

I think singles are important, they keep the era alive and interesting, wondering what the next single will be, what the video will be like, new remixes, clubs playing them etc...

I really haven't paid attention to any of the charts since the release. I've never really been that concerned. I want the best for her, but I won't be pressed over snythibg

When you see the sheer brainless, manufactured crap clogging up the charts..I really don't mind Madonna being no part of it.

She has NOTHING to prove. :madgemanson:

PREACH IT!

My problem is that radio hasn't even given her lastest singles a chance, beyond the first ones. I'm sure the general public would have liked them if they were heard.

Hollywood

Nothing Fails

Love Profusion

Sorry

Get Together

Jump

Give It 2 Me

Miles Away

Girl Gone Wild

Turn Up The Radio

None of these were played in the US or at least I never heard them played.

I guess it's not important as long as I like the songs. I've been of that belief since American Life. There were some really good songs on that album but the radio turned on her at that point. It would be great to see some of this stuff reach the general public though because some of the songs are THAT good.

Didn't someone say that they count streaming of a song on the charts now? Or did I dream that?

Whatever the case I feel M has done right by her fans with this collection and with there being so many songs I hope she releases single after single. Why the hell not?

I guess it's not important as long as I like the songs. I've been of that belief since American Life. There were some really good songs on that album but the radio turned on her at that point. It would be great to see some of this stuff reach the general public though because some of the songs are THAT good.

Didn't someone say that they count streaming of a song on the charts now? Or did I dream that?

Whatever the case I feel M has done right by her fans with this collection and with there being so many songs I hope she releases single after single. Why the hell not?

I've heard that a recent change in Billboards formula makes streaming count for the album chart also now, not just the singles chart. I think up until recently the album chart was purely sales. I think the change will work to M's disadvantage on the albums chart, judging from YouTube views for LFL and Spotify rankings of top streamed songs.

I don't mind if the album or single is being labelled as flop by GP based on chart success.

The critical acclaim matters more. And only fans opinion matter. And myself is most important. Others can F OFF.

That said I think Hard Candy was one of her most successful albums, to me.

I'm not into chart success for the sake of it, which is why it bugs me that something like 4M may be her last Top 5 in the US, and why GMAYL hitting #10 isn't that big of a deal if no one likes or remembers it. But critical acclaim for a pop album like RH would translate into sales, Grammy nominations, etc. All of that would result in "chart success," so if you think of it as a barometer for the overall success of the album, it does matter.

I just like that she has that most top ten ever record and that no one else is within even ten of her (right?) unless it's someone dead. So if she scooted into the top ten for a week or two it would just extend that.

I just like that she has that most top ten ever record and that no one else is within even ten of her (right?) unless it's someone dead. So if she scooted into the top ten for a week or two it would just extend that.

Good point! I'd love for her to widen that lead a bit more.

BINGO!

The measure of success is different now. I think it's completely possible that RH may be the first Madonna album to not produce a Hot 100 top ten, but when all is said and done I believe this era is going to be looked at as a success (at least judging by the critic/fan response so far). I think the fact that this scenario happened to the "untouchable" Beyonce helped to put into perspective what is considered a success in 2014.

You can have a record 25 number ones or whatever but struggling to fill stadiums around the world? no thanks.

M's 30 year plus legacy speaks for itself, nothing to prove anymore and fans around the world would show up in sold out concerts to worship our one and only Queen.

Living for Love team.