Is this the moment where charts finally don't matter

Guest bluejean

And how is not that considered discrimination and penalized really says a lot about this society, specially the American. And the recently the UK that tries to be like the US in every wrong aspect.

Yes, I agree. I hate that radio is so corrupt and discriminates so blatantly while not getting any attention or trouble about it. If radio played more than just the latest songs that they feel "fits their target audience" then it would be a lot more interesting. . As it is now, you can turn the radio on and hear the same songs played over and over every 2 hours and all by the same artists.

I think Madonna transcends age though with the public and that is what makes it so laughable and annoying. Young people who have a huge love for music, don't want to be pigeon holed and sad that radio stations can't open their eyes and see this.

Compared to the initial response the album received elsewhere, even in the US, I still think in Australia it was a fairly unremarkable performance. Whereas she had all 6 songs occupying the top 10's around the world, here only LFL briefly made the top 10 and as I said earlier none of them are even in the top 100 anymore. (Yes, I realise this is only a pre-order) It's not just this though, I don't think radio really respects her anymore. A new Madonna release used to be a big event, now they'll barely even play her on the radio. There seems to be so little mention of her anymore here.

young buyers think she's too old and old buyers think she's trying to sound too young

And then they buy shit from Tony Bennett?

Compared to the initial response the album received elsewhere, even in the US, I still think in Australia it was a fairly unremarkable performance. Whereas she had all 6 songs occupying the top 10's around the world, here only LFL briefly made the top 10 and as I said earlier none of them are even in the top 100 anymore. (Yes, I realise this is only a pre-order) It's not just this though, I don't think radio really respects her anymore. A new Madonna release used to be a big event, now they'll barely even play her on the radio. There seems to be so little mention of her anymore here.

Yes but our radio stations are pathetic. They just play the same songs by the same young artists every hour. It is getting worse as well. Plus the fact that Madonna's management etc don't promote her at all here and have not done so since Hard Candy. Hopefully when Rebel Heart is released in Feb, her management will promote her record. That is what I am hoping. Considering Madonna was the biggest star here by a mile for such a long time, she is not forgotten by the general public and they would easily embrace her again fully. People did not even know that MDNA was released in Australia because there was no promotion at all and as she did not tour, only fans really knew much about it.

And how is not that considered discrimination and penalized really says a lot about this society, specially the American. And the recently the UK that tries to be like the US in every wrong aspect.

Stopped reading after "specially"

Yes but our radio stations are pathetic. They just play the same songs by the same young artists every hour. It is getting worse as well. Plus the fact that Madonna's management etc don't promote her at all here and have not done so since Hard Candy. Hopefully when Rebel Heart is released in Feb, her management will promote her record. That is what I am hoping. Considering Madonna was the biggest star here by a mile for such a long time, she is not forgotten by the general public and they would easily embrace her again fully. People did not even know that MDNA was released in Australia because there was no promotion at all and as she did not tour, only fans really knew much about it.

Yeah I agree, radio here is pretty terrible. I pretty much only listen to Triple J. I also try to avoid anything to do with The Voice/X Factor/Idol etc. I don't think she is forgotten here so much more as you say, she is not promoted here. Not only has she ignored us with touring but simple promotion by her has been non-existent. I doubt she really cares because if she did she obviously wouldn't have skipped us on so many tours. But I think it's definitely damaged her legacy here. The MDNA Tour fiasco seemed to be the final nail.

Yeah I agree, radio here is pretty terrible. I pretty much only listen to Triple J. I also try to avoid anything to do with The Voice/X Factor/Idol etc. I don't think she is forgotten here so much more as you say, she is not promoted here. Not only has she ignored us with touring but simple promotion by her has been non-existent. I doubt she really cares because if she did she obviously wouldn't have skipped us on so many tours. But I think it's definitely damaged her legacy here. The MDNA Tour fiasco seemed to be the final nail.

The lack of promotion in Australia for both Celebration and MDNA was criminal. Madonna will always be a superstar in Australia and everyone knows who she is and her greatest hit songs. She is still mentioned frequently but her latest work is never remotely promoted here. However, like you say, the lack of promotion on top of not touring has been damaging. It actually makes me very sad indeed as lived through Madonna being the biggest star in Australia for years. I am really hoping that she actually comes here for a massive promo tour. I know that every part of our media would do anything to interview her and it would create such buzz. I also think that is she toured, it would be a huge success. Prince and Bruce Springsteen's recent tours were massive and Madonna was bigger in Australia than both of them.

Yeah she still gets mentioned, but I find it's not in a flattering light most of the time. It has now been 21 years since her one and only tour in Australia. She has skipped us on 5 (!!!) tours. Honestly I would LOVE if she came for a quick promo tour here. A small club gig like she has done in the US and EU would reverse all the damage from the last few years. Australia still loves her, she just needs to make an effort!!

Guest bluejean

Well WHO CARES.

If she tours there and the tour doesn't sell well all those REAL fans can get to the front and get covered in her sweat. But we know that won't happen. All those fickle turn coats will rush to buy tickets claiming they've always been fans. THEN they'll bitch about how she didn't sing enough of her hits.

NOW let US, the REAL fans enjoy the music. And the tour when it happens. It's going to be IMMENSE. FUCK CHARTS!

There's no denying that whatever is ruling the charts these days will likely be something totally brainless - I rarely pay attention at all, but when MADONNA releases new material that's actually WHEN I always start paying acute attention. I'm obsessed with her sales and chart stats! I remember the radio backlash from the AL era and how much that pissed me off...and ever since all I've wanted was for Madonna to come back and reclaim it somehow. You know? Prove the world wrong. It's silly I get that. I want RH to go #1 & I want her to extend her chart records so that nobody can beat her, for as long as I'm alive. It's all good fun in the end really.

I wish the leakers hacked into her 2015 schedule!! They must have a big promo planned out. She already hinted Grammys and that's 2 months away so I'm sure and fingerscrossed we get performances in London, Paris, Germany, Asia and Australia (sorry if I missed out a place) If not then oh well :S

Guest bluejean

Bring on the tour I say!

Burst onto the stage with Living For Love please Madonna and bring the house down! Fuck charts. Fuck sales. Fuck promo. Fuck everyone. Do it for the fans.

I think we'll have to wait Australia continent to collide with Asia until Madge performs there again

They can settle for Pink, Mimi and Gutga.

Well, everyone actually tours here - Beyonce, Katy, Miley, Taylor to name just a few. It is not a case of settling for anyone but you always like to portray Australia as a place where only no-bodies come to. Not true at all.

Well, everyone actually tours here - Beyonce, Katy, Miley, Taylor to name just a few. It is not a case of settling for anyone but you always like to portray Australia as a place where only no-bodies come to. Not true at all.

flopland

(forgot buckteeth)

Doesn't matter to Madonna's career, obviously :manson:

Fair enough. But then what do you mean by "matter"? And where's the cut off? I could have said that M's legacy was cemented in 1996 and that if she never had another hit or another critically acclaimed or influential album that it wouldn't "matter." But just like ROL, Music, and COADF built on that legacy, I believe that M's career has a lot more potential. And obviously she does too. It's not a matter of having to "prove" anything, but continued hits means more exposure, more people discovering her catalogue, more respect, etc. etc. No one can ever take away what MJ achieved from the 70s to the early/mid 90s, but imagine if he hadn't turned into a joke after that? Imagine if he continued to put out hit albums?

As for radio/charts being "crap" today, they said the same thing in the 80s and the 90s and the 2000s. We're all getting older, we all think the past was better. That's just life. Look at the shit M was competing with in the 80s. Most of it is HILARIOUSLY terrible. Nothing has changed.

Fair enough. But then what do you mean by "matter"? And where's the cut off? I could have said that M's legacy was cemented in 1996 and that if she never had another hit or another critically acclaimed or influential album that it wouldn't "matter." But just like ROL, Music, and COADF built on that legacy, I believe that M's career has a lot more potential. And obviously she does too. It's not a matter of having to "prove" anything, but continued hits means more exposure, more people discovering her catalogue, more respect, etc. etc. No one can ever take away what MJ achieved from the 70s to the early/mid 90s, but imagine if he hadn't turned into a joke after that? Imagine if he continued to put out hit albums?

As for radio/charts being "crap" today, they said the same thing in the 80s and the 90s and the 2000s. We're all getting older, we all think the past was better. That's just life. Look at the shit M was competing with in the 80s. Most of it is HILARIOUSLY terrible. Nothing has changed.

I agree with you in everything but I do think radio in the US has become more ageist than before. At least that what it seems to me.

I never look back and think that music was better in previous decades. There is fantastic music in every decade and era. What I have noticed lately, is radio stations now just play the same songs every hour by the same small select group of people. Far less new music is heard on the radio which is a dreadful shame.

Anyway, Madonna transcends all other artists in substance, longevity and consistency - has done so since the 80's, is doing so today and I suspect will always be doing so whilst she keeps making music.

A couple of weeks ago I tried to listen to the radio... it was awful :( such horrid songs... I wouldn't mind if Madonna doesn't get played at all with the new album tbh

I do light a candle everyday for Australia though. She has to go there this time, seriously!

I agree with you in everything but I do think radio in the US has become more ageist than before. At least that what it seems to me.

True.

I never look back and think that music was better in previous decades. There is fantastic music in every decade and era. What I have noticed lately, is radio stations now just play the same songs every hour by the same small select group of people. Far less new music is heard on the radio which is a dreadful shame.

Anyway, Madonna transcends all other artists in substance, longevity and consistency - has done so since the 80's, is doing so today and I suspect will always be doing so whilst she keeps making music.

And true. There's less variety since more stations are owned by the same corporations. But I think the ratio of crap:good is usually about the same. It ebbs and flows.

I'm sure there have always been 'crap' songs/artists played on radio, but I think before 8 or 10 yrs ago, when the reality shows and youtube started becoming more important there was more of a variety of music and artists I heard. Now it seems you only hear the same selection of pop, urban and country music everywhere, and a lot of it seems catered to a certain generic common denominator sound. Of course there were/are exceptions, but overall that's the feeling I get.

I'm sure there have always been 'crap' songs/artists played on radio, but I think before 8 or 10 yrs ago, when the reality shows and youtube started becoming more important there was more of a variety of music and artists I heard. Now it seems you only hear the same selection of pop, urban and country music everywhere, and a lot of it seems catered to a certain generic common denominator sound. Of course there were/are exceptions, but overall that's the feeling I get.

Oh, saw you just said the same thing, should read all the posts before weighing in :)

She could never have another hit and it wouldn't change the peerless, historic nature of her legacy. There's a distinct difference between liking the idea of her doing even more (being even better than the best) or of having preferences and tastes that differ from the direction of her projects at any given time, and thinking that there's any ground to be cracking a whip at her back and going on about how she needs to "do better, work harder, you're not good enough Madonna, and you make bad decisions" the likes of which are very commonplace in the periods between her albums.

I don't think that Madonna herself would consider Hard Candy and MDNA as eras to be anything other than successes by her terms, nor go along with any analogy that implies she's "turned into a joke" with them, or seems at all in danger of doing so at any point in the future. I think they both add to her legacy, so I'm left wondering where "the cut off" is, and whether she's going to be chastised as lazy or uninspired or culturally maladjusted every time she isn't replicating some vague standard of success and critical reception that can't even be put into specific terms beyond an allusion to a handful of past albums and their respective success/acclaim?

After all, there are the theories that Erotica would be more acclaimed and successful were it not for the contemporaneous transgressive image, that American Life would be more acclaimed were it not for political baggage, and more recently that there's been a bias against an overtly sexual, even raunchy, quinquagenarian female for the past 7 years, all of which render questions of critical reception to Madonna's work in a far more nebulous light since she's always dealing with the context of being herself, and she enjoys making people angry with her as a rule. Likewise, and contrary to any "Madonna knows she needs to bring it this time around after xyz" sentiments, I think acts such as her repeated resurrection of Human Nature on tour and the stance of her current #UnapologeticBitch tits-bared persona just demonstrates how much she thrives when she's hated, and how very little she's willing to play any sort of games of appeasement just to make the peanut gallery a bit more kindly disposed towards her.

A couple of weeks ago I tried to listen to the radio... it was awful :( such horrid songs... I wouldn't mind if Madonna doesn't get played at all with the new album tbh

I do light a candle everyday for Australia though. She has to go there this time, seriously!

Too funny :) you should start a facebook campaign called: Candles For Australia.

Of course charts matter... If they did not, why the hell would Madonnas team delay the release of LFL in England? the other thing Madonna and her team will be shitting themselves is with the acoompaning tour. They already saw a decline with MDNA tour, and this will be exacerbated if not for a hit single / album on the charts.

On a side note, like others have mentioned, there is absolutely no buzz for this project in Australia.