Mooncrown11

Skin+by+Anhell.png

Artwork by Anhell

"Skin"

[Chorus:]

Do I know you from somewhere?
Why do you leave me wanting more?
Why do all the things I say
Sound like the stupid things I've said before?

(Put your hand on my skin)

Kiss me, I'm dying
Put your hand on my skin
I close my eyes
I need to make a connection
I'm walking on a thin line
I close my eyes
I close my eyes

[chorus]

Touch me, I'm trying
To see inside of your soul
I've got this thing
I want to make a correction
I'm not like this all the time
You've got this thing
You've got this thing

[chorus]

Kiss me, I'm dying
Put your hand on my skin
I close my eyes
I need to have your protection
I close my eyes
I close your eyes

(Kiss, kiss, kiss me)

[chorus, repeat]

Kiss me, I'm dying
Touch me, I'm trying, ohhh

Put your hand on my skin
Put your hand on my skin
Put your hand on my skin

Touch me, I'm trying, ohhh
Put your hand on my skin
Put your hand on my skin

This is one of those songs you can tell will be something special from just the first few notes. I love how it starts almost like a haunting ballad and then builds to something entirely different. The tribal-like drums and the middle eastern flourishes are unexpected but brilliant. She really does some interesting things with her voice in this song, using it almost like another instrument at times. The end is especially exciting when she really starts ad-libbing as the music gets more and more urgent and chaotic. Lyrically, it seems to speak of love (or lust) at first sight and how you can get really caught up in that first encounter. I love this video from the MTV Ultrasound special that shows her recording the song in the studio. We rarely get these intimate glimpses into her recording process and she sounds fantastic!
I have to say I prefer the final title rather than the original "Flirtation Dance" as it's more subtle and mysterious. Many felt this should have been a single but with so many amazing songs on the album, it must have been hard to choose. This would make a great tour interlude at some point (here's hoping!)
Favorite lyric: Touch me, I'm trying to see inside of your soul
Favorite Musical Part: The outro
Favorite Vocal Part: "I'm not like this all the time" (the ones near the end of the song)
One Word That Sums Up This Song: (Reckless) Abandon

Love it.

I read somewhere that Pat hated what Orbit did to the song, which he originally envisioned as a ballad proper.

I didn't know it was meant to be a ballad. I think it would've made a great ballad, but as is, it's still great!

I just wish there were more of the vocals at the end, as they are so strong.

Guest Peaches

Excellent song. It would be interesting to hear as a ballad, but it seems like the finished product is best for this song based on the lyrics. Unless there were other verses, a straight ballad might have been a bit monotonous.

This episode of Ultrasound was amazing and Kurt Loder needs to come out of retirement or wherever he is to interview Madonna again because they were always so great together.

I am going to run and hide from everyone here but this is one Madonna song that I don't really like much. It is different but I just could never get into it. :mellow:

1 week ban. Effective immediately.

This song blows me away. For me it's on the soul level of reconnecting with a spirit that you are familiar with. It could be taken as direct "put your hand on my skin" or as skin as a metaphor for the soul. Reaching for someone's soul.

I love Madonna's voice that starts out recognizing a soul and then her voice becomes more on edge and builds throughout the song to a sense of urgency for the connection to happen."Touch me, I'm dying." It also makes me feel there is some resistance.

Her "I'm not like this all the time" makes me feel like it's also something that has to happen now because I am not always going to be this open to it.

I am going to run and hide from everyone here but this is one Madonna song that I don't really like much. It is different but I just could never get into it. :mellow:

It's Ok Jan we still love you and I applaud your honesty :clap:

My favorite song on ROL.

This is just perfection.

I feel a state of emergency when I listen to it. It takes me very high, more than any drug I could try.

Masterpiece. With a big M.

This is my favorite song on ROL! This song is brilliant, there is just no other way to describe it. this is one of those songs where even now, I will hear something I never noticed before. The production is just so layered, complex and meticulous. It took me a couple of years after ROL release to really appreciate this song. At first, it sounded like a bunch of "clutter" to me......but then one day, on some really great speakers, I really HEARD the song and from that point on I was in love.....lol.

I've never cared for the remix because it sounds so tame compared to the original. It sort of just plods along. I'm not so sure any remix could do this song justice though.