Graham Norton comments on Madonna [merged]

XXL

"She made her way into the room like the Queen visiting a toothbrush factory in Sheffield"

dd3d5a3c-e5a7-4ce4-b5a6-9e2c6fec95bf_zps7ead5a67-cb40-4005-83e5-5f94f43fd5d2_zps

In his unflinchingly honest and rather naughty new memoir, Britain’s cheekiest chat show host Graham Norton shines a light on his own private world. Yesterday he told of his doomed love life, and today he reveals how he’s dealt with the biggest divas in showbiz

Excerpt

On a recent visit to New York, I was sitting in a bar (there’s a surprise) when two charming young men approached me (that was a surprise). When they asked for a photo with me, I got one of my friends to take it and they seemed pleased.
‘I’m so glad you were nice,’ one confided. ‘The last time we were in the city we were walking down Fifth Avenue and we saw Madonna. ‘We got all excited and started to tell her how much we love her. She never slowed down — just turned her head as she passed, flicked her hair, and said, “Hi and bye”.’
Were they really upset? Isn’t that how they wanted their goddess to behave? Surely we want our divas to act like . . . well, divas. Nobody does that better than Madonna. She may not be God’’s gift to acting, but when it comes to being Madonna she can do it better than anyone else. She is so convinced she is special that we are all swept along by her tsunami of ambition and need.
When So Graham Norton started on Channel 4 in 1998 she was top of my wish-list of guests, but it would be 14 long years before she was finally ready to perch her perfectly toned buttocks on the edge of my red couch.
There were many conditions. It had to be a special. Yes. She wanted to tape it in the afternoon. Yes. She wanted approval over the music. Yes. I wonder how far we would have gone? What demand could have provoked a no? I couldn’t think of one.
A few weeks before the taping I was invited to meet her at a champagne reception at Claridge’s that would be followed by a screening of her directorial debut, W.E. I waited in an ornate room with a mixture of media people and celebrities. Finally the door opened. The eagle had landed. Trying not to stare, we all stared.
Madonna made her way into the room shaking hands and making brief small talk, like the Queen visiting a toothbrush factory in Sheffield.

A woman in a dark suit appeared at my shoulder. ‘Come with me.’ My mouth went dry and we moved through the sea of bodies till we reached the shining island at the centre of the throng. A pale hand was extended towards me.

‘Congratulations on the film,’ I said.

‘Oh, have you seen it already?’

‘No, I’m seeing it tonight.’

‘Well, save your congratulations till afterwards.’

Seconds in and it was all going wrong but somehow I managed to placate her before she moved on to the next loser. Someone must have taken a photograph of us during our brief exchange because I have it framed in my house. We’re both grinning, but I’m the one holding a drink and looking about ten years older than her.

I walked back to my friends and the only word I could think of to describe how I felt was ‘high’. After a few moments, the euphoria started to pass and I longed to meet her again. If this is what happens to the people wearing dandruff-drenched anoraks waiting outside theatres and studios, no wonder they come back for more.

Finally, finally, the day of the recording arrived and I was saying out loud: ‘Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Madonna!’ and there she was. It was really happening.

The rest of the show is a blur. I remember being nervous and then relaxing. We got the measure of each other and afterwards, as I was busy debriefing with the production team, I got word that I was wanted upstairs. I ran and found Madonna and her ‘people’ making their way down a corridor.

‘Thank you so much!’ I gushed. I began trying to pay her more compliments but she interrupted.

‘I just wanted to say bye,’ she said, doing her very best impression of a regular person. But then, with no words being exchanged, someone came up behind her and slipped her into a fur coat, proving she was anything but.

No friendship developed afterwards. She remained the icy star, me the awestruck fan, our worlds never to collide. And there was certainly no hint of the kind of extraordinary invitation I received when Liza Minnelli appeared on my Channel Four show V Graham Norton back in 2002

Guest SecretGarden

"No friendship developed afterwards. She remained the icy star, me the awestruck fan, our worlds never to collide."

As it should be, if Gaga has taught us anything it's to not be "friends" with your fans. Madonna's relationship with us is great, she appreciates us but from a distance. Considering how crazy some Madonna fans can be, I don't blame her one bit.

A woman in a dark suit appeared at my shoulder. ‘Come with me.’ My mouth went dry and we moved through the sea of bodies till we reached the shining island at the centre of the throng. A pale hand was extended towards me.

‘Congratulations on the film,’ I said.
‘Oh, have you seen it already?’
‘No, I’m seeing it tonight.’
‘Well, save your congratulations till afterwards.’

:dead: :dead: :dead: There is no one like her.

So which one is it Graham? :rotfl:

Graham 2012: she didn't make any demands

Graham 2014: There were many conditions

And more importantly, why does he assume a friendship should have developed because she was on his show? He spent himself in a profusion of compliments and how easy she was 2 years ago ..... not to mention she gave him his highest-rated show. Seriously what's wrong with these people :rotfl: I thought he was smarter than that Piers Morgan dim-witted slob :lol:

In his 14-year chat show career he’s pretty much talked to everyone. His big ambition was to get Madonna on his sofa, which he did in the last series. Was she a diva? ‘Actually she wasn’t. She didn’t make any demands. She came on, and within a few minutes she was on the floor on her hands and knees. She was on a charm offensive.’

And how nervous was he? ‘Terribly. I was worried it wouldn’t happen. But oddly enough, as soon as she came up the little steps, that was it. I felt it didn’t actually matter what happened after that, because she was on the show. Afterwards we went out for dinner and got really drunk – not Madonna; me and my friends – and the atmosphere all day was incredible. It was like a royal visit.’

the tone of his how he talks about her doesn't translate in the pics ;)

Well, save your congratulations till afterwards.

:lmao:

I took that as congratulate me when you have decided you like the movie after seeing it. I think she only wanted to be congratulated if someone genuinely appreciated the effort.

HI & BYE.

:lmao:

What a loser. Why does he think they would suddenly be friends aftering meeting? What - because he's gay? Or because he pays her a load of trite compliments (that she no doubt receives constantly)? She's just there to do promo. DELUDED unfunny man. :abuse:

^ Oh I love Graham and I think he is very funny! I think he was very sweet in his description of meeting her. He is very much a fan and I think he realizes that in describing her appearrance and just might be a little disappointed that there wasn't more. I would like to think that Madonna would be my best friend and would be a little let down If It didn't turn out that way but I am accepting which I think he is as well that It doesn't always happen. There is no way you can have a personal relationship with everyone you meet. She probaly considers talk shows work.

I do find it funny how all these people that write things after meeting, or even working with, Madonna all of a sudden expect that they would become the best of friends. She knows the difference between work/promo/celebrity vs. interpersonal human interaction outside of the industry, on a genuine level. She knows better than anyone that there is a fundamental difference...but I think a lot of these show business types have gotten so caught up in fame and celebrity, they've forgotten that. And then they're shocked or disappointed that they didn't become BFF's with her, and thus she is "icy" or "cold".

I like that M continues not to get heavily involved with her fans even though it is so common now with many artists & social media. I don't expect her to engage with other celebrities & fans when she appears super focused & extremely busy with her children & her own private relationships.

Guest Rachelle of London

Am I missing something? He never said anything bad. Like Larkspur said he's a fan and probably felt disappointed. We all have dreams of being Ms bestie but that's not gonna happen. It would only be honest to admit being disappointed.

Graham was not saying anything dreadful at all. Plus, he has a very dry sense of humour and it would come across better seeing him talking rather than just reading his words. I think Madonna is now very guarded in her personal life and does not get very close to other celebrities or fans that much. I would imagine it would be a sort of pressure being friends with someone who was a huge fan. They would have you on an unattainable pedestal and it would be hard to maintain. He probably would have loved to become good friends with her as he likes her so much as a fan, but I am sure that he is realistic about it. Disappointed maybe but he does not seem nasty, bitter or over-critical.

Madonna could ignore me any day of the week. Can you imagine having to stop and say hi to everyone on the street? The thought alone makes me wanna puke. Plus, for M to stop and say hi to me would mean precious seconds taken away from her getting that album done. My relationship w/ Madonna is strictly business; she produces, I buy. You betta work bitch! :elite:

Well she said it herself in Truth or Dare that she finds it strange that celebrities assume you're going to be friends just because you're a celebrity too. I get the impression that she get's bored easily and so probably can't be bothered with the whole "yes you're famous, I'm famous, let's hang out even though that's the only real thing we have in common"

Madonna could ignore me any day of the week. Can you imagine having to stop and say hi to everyone on the street? The thought alone makes me wanna puke. Plus, for M to stop and say hi to me would mean precious seconds taken away from her getting that album done. My relationship w/ Madonna is strictly business; she produces, I buy. You betta work bitch! :elite:

This is a long, on-going argument and there are two valid sides. No one is saying that she has to physically stop and say hello to everyone, but it wouldn't kill her to at least smile and reply "hi" as she's walking. On the other hand, she is constantly followed, bothered, and intruded upon by fans and paparazzi, so obviously it is tiring and frustrating and she just wants to get from point A to point B without be bothered so she simply tunes everyone out. Who can blame her? Her relationship with fans/press has always been distant, so this is nothing new. Being "cold" is apart of her persona. I like when Graham said: "Were they really upset? Isn’t that how they wanted their goddess to behave? Surely we want our divas to act like . . . well, divas. Nobody does that better than Madonna."

:chuckle::clap:

Any sane individual who happens to be a Madonna fan would NEVER stop her in the street to say hi given a chance of spotting her. Can these dummies/bratty fans of hers imagine how many people in the world would love to stop Madonna and say HI? :confused:

Can they imagine what her life and her children's lives would turn into? :blink: I mean having some basic respect for yourselves and some common sense wouldn't hurt

As for Norton's comments, he completely changed his tune on her only because he "found out" she doesn't tend to befriend industry people. Hold the front page like even commoners can't see that/aren't familar with that Madonna trait (imo a very smart one considering how very few sane people inhabit that world). Why is it that powerful, rich gay men or a part of her fandom think that Madonna owes them anything? I mean this is Chrissy's, Elton's, Piers' territory/mentality/modus operandi right there

He completely contradicted everything that he said right after her appearance when it happened in 2012. How can he claim she was lovely, warm, easy-going and icy at the same time, seriously :rotfl:

Well she said it herself in Truth or Dare that she finds it strange that celebrities assume you're going to be friends just because you're a celebrity too. I get the impression that she get's bored easily and so probably can't be bothered with the whole "yes you're famous, I'm famous, let's hang out even though that's the only real thing we have in common"

Exactly! 24-year-old news :rotfl:

This is a long, on-going argument and there are two valid sides. No one is saying that she has to physically stop and say hello to everyone, but it wouldn't kill her to at least smile and reply "hi" as she's walking. On the other hand, she is constantly followed, bothered, and intruded upon by fans and paparazzi, so obviously it is tiring and frustrating and she just wants to get from point A to point B without be bothered so she simply tunes everyone out. Who can blame her? Her relationship with fans/press has always been distant, so this is nothing new. Being "cold" is apart of her persona. I like when Graham said: "Were they really upset? Isn’t that how they wanted their goddess to behave? Surely we want our divas to act like . . . well, divas. Nobody does that better than Madonna."

Big deal, Madonna's a bitch. Brand New Info!! lol

This wasn't necessarily directed at you CMoody. Point is, Two valid sides? Well, ppl need to get over it. There's worse things in the world than being a bitchy pop star.

:chuckle::clap:

Any sane individual who happens to be a Madonna fan would NEVER stop her in the street to say hi given a chance of spotting her. Can these dummies/bratty fans of hers imagine how many people in the world would love to stop Madonna and say HI? :confused:

Can they imagine what her life and her children's lives would turn into? :blink: I mean having some basic respect for yourselves and some common sense wouldn't hurt

As for Norton's comments, he completely changed his tune on her only because he "found out" she doesn't tend to befriend industry people. Hold the front page like even commoners can't see that/aren't familar with that Madonna trait (imo a very smart one considering how very few sane people inhabit that world). Why is it that powerful, rich gay men or a part of her fandom think that Madonna owes them anything? I mean this is Chrissy's, Elton's, Piers' territory/mentality/modus operandi right there

He completely contradicted everything that he said right after her appearance when it happened in 2012. How can he claim she was lovely, warm, easy-going and icy at the same time, seriously :rotfl:

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Apart of many gay men's fantasy is that if/when ever rich, powerful, or famous, that they will perhaps not only have more realistic access to M, but that they will magically just be "in" with her.....as if simply being rich, famous, and/or famous are Madonna's personal requirements for being friends. I think their public retaliation is when they feel they have achieved "in" club status and they are still treated as fans.

This is a long, on-going argument and there are two valid sides. No one is saying that she has to physically stop and say hello to everyone, but it wouldn't kill her to at least smile and reply "hi" as she's walking. On the other hand, she is constantly followed, bothered, and intruded upon by fans and paparazzi, so obviously it is tiring and frustrating and she just wants to get from point A to point B without be bothered so she simply tunes everyone out. Who can blame her?

Her relationship with fans/press has always been distant, so this is nothing new. Being "cold" is apart of her persona. I like when Graham said: "Were they really upset? Isn’t that how they wanted their goddess to behave? Surely we want our divas to act like . . . well, divas. Nobody does that better than Madonna."

Distant?? It depends on what you mean by "her relationship with fans" I guess

To me it's when I'm in an arena or stadium listening/watching her and she's ACE in that department. Should she stop and say hi to someone on the street simply because she's Madonna and she has a following? I don't understand that at all.

What I could understand more is a red carpet appearance, a premiere, something where her work is involved and she shows up somewhere other than a venue for a performance

But people are really THAT surpised that she won't dignify with an answer somebody who probably waits for her while she's en route from let's say the K center to her gym? Really? Odd :blink:

Big deal, Madonna's a bitch. Brand New Info!! lol

This wasn't necessarily directed at you CMoody. Point is, Two valid sides? Well, ppl need to get over it. There's worse things in the world than being a bitchy pop star.

No, I agree with you...I love it that Madonna is a bitch (and #unapologetic about it at that). It's apart of the zillion things that I adore about her (in fact, the bitchier she is the better....those years of preaching Kabbalah-kindness (yet still being a bitch) wasn't very much fun lol...I love it better when she is totally working it) ......

I was just citing the argument that she could also be a bit friendlier with fans. I think she is in her own way, take soundchecks for example, she went from telling fans to "shut up" in 2006 to completely interacting (and enjoying) with them in later tours.

XXL said it best, EVERYONE wants to meet Madonna, not just fans, so it would be impossible to function and operate under those demands if she were to be more accessible.