Um can we talk about how GI2ME was a bonafide hit in Europe

acko

I love this song. The video is not bad but not great either. Would have looked fantastic as a Soul train line reenactment with Pharrell and the tour dancers in chic fashions. Her best look of this era should have been more exploited in the Munro video though :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvEk4iqNMus

Guest Pud Whacker

Well there's no use in debating the unfortunate destiny of her second single releases in the u.s.

But I'm always under the impression people consider it 2 be somewhat of a flop...whereas in my

euro-universe the song was EVERYWHERE...u know those damn hit records u hear when u go grocery

shopping & the ones that are even used in tv programs as a score 4 quirky segments in make over shows and the lot...

Austria #10

Belgium #3

Canada #8

Denmark #4

Holland #1

Finland #2

Germany #8

France #5

Italy #3

Hungary #1

Poland #4

Spain #1

Switzerland #4

Turkey #1

UK #7 :americanlife:

EUROPEAN HOT 100 #2

And my mom really likes it...

so there :americanlife:

top-20-madonna-hot-gifs-give-it-2-me-wal

ae132927077b901eac9063aaed281dfd.gif

tumblr_lvbsbvmqLg1qf0oivo1_500.gif

GOD I LOVE THIS VIDEO.

ONE of her greatest songs of all-time!!!

Don't even get me started. I've ALWAYS stanned for this song. Hands down THE song that sums up the entire HC era...and one of her best singles of the 00s.

Have always said what a shame it wasn't a massive worldwide hit, especially considering that sound is everywhere now (and Pharrell)...uh, hello!!!??? Blurred Lines what...??? I was like, excuse me, M already did that shit.

And that video is fabUlous. I didn't think about it until someone else here pointed it out, but it does hearken back to Lucky Star.

I actually love these simple, stylized fashion videos. Just M, that body, those moves, that style.... love it.

I prefer this than 4M as a single so I was disappointed it wasn't a bigger hit. But for some reason, I agree with the others, it is well remembered despite the performance.

The Get Stupid part is the best.

I love this song. The video is not bad but not great either. Would have looked fantastic as a Soul train line reenactment with Pharrell and the tour dancers in chic fashions. Her best look of this era should have been more exploited in the Munro video though :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvEk4iqNMus

omg that look :drama:

i had no idea she used that look outside the video/photoshoot :wow:

The song is brilliant, Madonna at her game

The video unfortunately doesn't work

- She looks bored even when she tries to flirt with the camera.

- The black&white part is too light-burnt and doesn't fit the rest of the footage

- Post production effects are all over the place and create a homemade amateurish effect

- Her looks are unflattering, she looks much better than that!

Don't even get me started. I've ALWAYS stanned for this song. Hands down THE song that sums up the entire HC era...and one of her best singles of the 00s.

Have always said what a shame it wasn't a massive worldwide hit, especially considering that sound is everywhere now (and Pharrell)...uh, hello!!!??? Blurred Lines what...??? I was like, excuse me, M already did that shit.

And that video is fabUlous. I didn't think about it until someone else here pointed it out, but it does hearken back to Lucky Star.

I actually love these simple, stylized fashion videos. Just M, that body, those moves, that style.... love it.

Me too!

I adore this video but I think 4 Minutes vid is truly dreadful. I could watch GI2M all day. She looks great and it's well edited.

I wish this and She's Not Me had been released instead of 4M.

I never got the love for this song. I think production-wise it's one of Pharrel's weaker tracks, I prefer "Infinity" eventhough it's crow-galore.

Don't get me started about the video. It could've been SO MUCH MORE! Just like every other video produced that era but I wasn't too fond of any of the three singles anyway. After 4 Minutes pretty much everyone here in Europe was here for Madonna and GI2M didn't manage to match the success of her first single,. I think Beat Goes On would've been a much better second single and not because Kanye was in it, but simply because the funky sound of it was exactly what was en vogue at that time (see Estelle - "American Boy")

The song itself isn't bad but imo not strong or memorable enough to become one of her more recognizable hits. The tour version, however, elevates the song to a whole 'nother level and really gets me started. That version is really good and made me appreciate the song much more because it suits the fun and energetic lyrics more than the original does.

:dramatic:

1:12 RIGHT NAAOOOOOWW

Edited by JimmyJimmy

I love the song. It's my fav on the album. But I remember being really disappointed in the video. It deserved much better than that. I didn't know the song did so well in Europe. My memory of the song is that it bombed, just like Sorry, which apparently also did well in Europe.

I love the song. It's my fav on the album. But I remember being really disappointed in the video. It deserved much better than that. I didn't know the song did so well in Europe. My memory of the song is that it bombed, just like Sorry, which apparently also did well in Europe.

Here in Germany GI2M received lots of airplay, because 4 Minutes was one of the biggest hits at the time but the song itself wasn't that popular. Miles Away was actually quite popular in the beginning, I think it even hit #1 on the German airplay charts. It could've been another #1 hit, because Germany was totally here for Timbaland's production 2008, but the lack of promotion and a good music video was probably the reason why those two songs didn't do as well as the first single.

I wish Madonna would start touring much later than she does nowadays. If she'd spent more time releasing singles and filming iconic music videos she could rise back to where she was at the beginning of the HC or COADF era.

Edited by JimmyJimmy

It's nice seeing GI2M get it's due, it's classic Madonna! That era in general seems to be getting more love in the forum lately. A far cry from 2008-2009 when that miserable group of fans would bash Madonna over literally everything she did (that's no exaggeration). Most of them ran off to worship Gaga anyways......which explains a lot.....lol. So much for good taste.

It's nice seeing GI2M get it's due, it's classic Madonna! That era in general seems to be getting more love in the forum lately. A far cry from 2008-2009 when that miserable group of fans would bash Madonna over literally everything she did (that's no exaggeration). Most of them ran off to worship Gaga anyways......which explains a lot.....lol. So much for good taste.

Thank you!!! It really is classic Madonna.

I remember hearing the album for the first time, and it was GI2M that stood out from the moment it started. And it immediately took me back to her funky 80s tracks.

As time goes on, I fall in love with this era more and more. I think I'm taking to it far more than I ever did to Confessions. I find it ironic that it's still such a point of contention among Madonna fans, and yet, that sound is everywhere now.

I fucking LOVE this song.

Thank you!!! It really is classic Madonna.

I remember hearing the album for the first time, and it was GI2M that stood out from the moment it started. And it immediately took me back to her funky 80s tracks.

As time goes on, I fall in love with this era more and more. I think I'm taking to it far more than I ever did to Confessions. I find it ironic that it's still such a point of contention among Madonna fans, and yet, that sound is everywhere now.

I fucking LOVE this song.

Yes! The whole vibe around HC harkened back to early 80's Madonna. The Pharrell tracks in particular. If I'm not mistaken, GI2M was the first full song to leak from HC upon its release (not counting the '07 leaks and 4M of course). After years of the layered, electronic sound, the minimalism of songs like GI2M was a breath of fresh air. Love it!

I agree GI2M is one of her best 00's singles. This song is the reason i fell in love with HC album. It harkens back the pre and early 80s madonna. Very fun and energetic! Many stuff, soundwise, are happening with this song. I especially love the part where she started to sing "you only he

re to win.." near the end where the progressing electro sound is clashing with the funky beats. Sublime and intoxicating!