Rupert Everett: "old whiney barmaid" comment was meant to be "funny"

frzndrwnwrld

"She didn’t seem comfortable with the older generation. She knew how everyone her own age reacted to her but anyone older looked at her from another angle and that scared her."

Right

Mick-Jagger-Madonna-and-Tony-Curtis.jpg

That night, I embarked upon a novel, my third. I called it Guilt Without Sex and it was about a man with a failed career who finds religion and falls in love (and hate) with a beautiful transgender superstar.

I told Madonna about it. ‘Don’t you think it would make a great film?’ I said.

‘No,’ she replied.

Julia Roberts appeared out of an explosion of flashlight, looking glossy and unruffled.

‘Hi, I’m Julia,’ she said with a huge smile. ‘I know who you are,’ said Madonna icily.

The next morning I was at the Concorde lounge at JFK airport. The first person I saw was Robbie Williams. ‘Oops,’ he said and disappeared to the loo.

On a table were the morning papers. Madonna Lays An Egg said one headline. Rupert’s Mediocre Thing, said another. I nearly fainted.

I have never read such bad reviews. ‘Rupert Everett’s performance has all the energy of a pet rock,’ one critic declared. ‘That’s why I said oops,’ said Robbie, returning from the loo.

My fav parts. lol

I will say this, Rupert is right in that the entertainment industry - well, certain major areas of it - is still rife with homophobic/heterosexist sexual politics. There is no doubt about that.

The issue with Rupert is that he's not a person people want to work with... as I've heard constantly.... and obviously, it's no surprise as to why.

He blames his career failures on those sexual politics...but in this case, it's really his own doing - his self-destructive behavior, his poor choices, his attitude...and most of all, his insecurities.

Yes, "Hollywood" is still homophobic...but as for Rupert, you don't get work because nobody really likes you boo.

He's talked about this so many times before.

He spoke with Madonna about the book and told her exactly what he said in it. She smiled sweetly, carried on with their evening. and he NEVER HEARD FROM HER AGAIN :rotfl:

Disloyalty, treachery are the worst of crimes...and deserve the SEVEREST punishment :queenbitch:

Once someone i considered a really good friend i trusted wrote an awful thing about me on Facebook. I never spoke to her since. I found myself in her presence and completly ignored her as if she did not exist, talking and laughing with people standing next to her. It's someone i welcomed in my house when she had a bad break up and listened to for hours, supported, lent money to etc....

I understand Madonna because it's not about being famous, it's universal, you need to trust your friends and family.

Once someone i considered a really good friend i trusted wrote an awful thing about me on Facebook. I never spoke to her since. I found myself in her presence and completly ignored her as if she did not exist, talking and laughing with people standing next to her. It's someone i welcomed in my house when she had a bad break up and listened to for hours, supported, lent money to etc....

I understand Madonna because it's not about being famous, it's universal, you need to trust your friends and family.

Absolutely, it's all about trust. And chemistry. I don't talk to people anymore I considered my friends in the past but there is no particular reason for it, it just happened. Now if you were friends with a superstar and then they write stuff about you in their memoirs…I would tell them to go to hell, too.

From what I read years ago there was an altercation between Madonna and Rupert backstage at Drowned World in Europe. From then on things were never the same and by 2005/06 they barely seen each other. Then Rupert thinks its his god given right to write a book and spill the beans on Madonna.

Madonna is a horrible actress +FACT+

She is a great entertainer, singer, dancer, etc. But her acting skills were, are, still AWFUL!

LOL

Rupert had a right to say whatever he wanted to say in his book , what he should not be doing is still talk about her! Move on and bury the past!

From what I read years ago there was an altercation between Madonna and Rupert backstage at Drowned World in Europe. From then on things were never the same and by 2005/06 they barely seen each other. Then Rupert thinks its his god given right to write a book and spill the beans on Madonna.

That's not what he says. Their relationship was fine (despite the TNBT debacle) until he told her about his book, then she (quite rightly) cut him out of her life.

Utter bullshit. You got the timeline of their friendship completely wrong. Rupert accusing Elton John of being cranky in response to his 2004 GQ Awards "£160 to see Madonna Live? Anyone charging £160 to lip synch should be shot" remarks. Madonna and Rupert dining together in London in the fall of 2005 + Madonna asking Rupert to be David's Godfather in 2006

Hardly since 2001 then. Things went icy between the two AFTER he released his first autobiography and he's not just sticking to ridiculing her as an actress, he's showing bitterness. Look at how he's describing the Jenniferlopezgate of the late 90s. He also made comments about Jesus Luz back in the fall of 2009 and her sleeping with people in their mid 20s. Jaded and jealous much?

Utter bullshit. You got the timeline of their friendship completely wrong. Rupert accusing Elton John of being cranky in response to his 2004 GQ Awards "£160 to see Madonna Live? Anyone charging £160 to lip synch hould be shot" remarks. Madonna and Rupert dining together in London in the fall of 2005 + Madonna asking Rupert to be David's Godfather in 2006.

Hardly since 2001 then. Things went icy between the two AFTER he released his first autobiography and he's not just sticking to ridiculing her as an actress, he's showing bitterness. Look at how he's describing the Jenniferlopezgate of the late 90s. He also made comments about Jesus Luz back in the fall of 2009 and her seeping with people in their mid 20s. Jaded and jealous much?

Do other Madonna fans often wonder as well how people around her can get her timelines and information so wrong. In the article that Pud posted, Rupert claimed that Madonna was not a big star when he first met her when Sean Penn introduced her as his girlfriend. Considering Sean met Madonna on the Material girl video shoot because he had a massive crush on her and knew the director Mary Lambert, Madonna was actually a huge star when they started dating.

Guest Rachelle of London

To me that makes their story sound more real. Not everyone's gonna remember every detail of an event 30 years ago. It's just human error. Yes these things should be checked before going to print but other than us obsessive fans, who's gonna even notice?

Guest Rachelle of London

Exactly. People on here probably know Madonna's life better than she does. Kinda weird when you think about it. :lol:

I know. Even she refers to one of her most well known songs as "Get Into The Groove" rather than ITG. If she makes errors about her own career what hope is there for her little drugged up ex best friend :lmao:

Guest Pud Whacker

To me that makes their story sound more real. Not everyone's gonna remember every detail of an event 30 years ago. It's just human error. Yes these things should be checked before going to print but other than us obsessive fans, who's gonna even notice?

i cant remember specifics of my own life when friends remind me but i can tell you what madonna wore on march 13, 1985. :rotfl:

---

separate: i love rupert and his humor and its sad that madonna felt betrayed but shes a trip.

Guest Rachelle of London

i cant remember specifics of my own life when friends remind me but i can tell you what madonna wore on march 13, 1985. :rotfl:

---

separate: i love rupert and his humor and its sad that madonna felt betrayed but shes a trip.

:lmao: same. I can remember so much Madonna stuff but couldn't tell you anything about my studies

Rupert is a great writer. Both of his memoirs are beautifully well written, and witty.

I don't feel he trashed her in either of them. Yes he's bitter and jaded, but there is some truth in a lot of what he said.

Her own brother wrote much worse things about her, and that was a real betrayal, and on a blood level.

Having said that, Rupert did betray their friendship, and at a particularly vulnerable time in her life. An unforgivable sin by her standards.

I know. Even she refers to one of her most well known songs as "Get Into The Groove" rather than ITG. If she makes errors about her own career what hope is there for her little drugged up ex best friend :lmao:

Get Into the Groove was the original name of ITG. I love that she still calls it that.

Didn't she once say Secret Garden was on Bedtime Stories?

Probably not.

Her own brother wrote much worse things about her, and that was a real betrayal, and on a blood level.

Having said that, Rupert did betray their friendship, and at a particularly vulnerable time in her life. An unforgivable sin by her standards.

...and their TREACHERY has been rewarded with the cruelest punishment of all - the cold shoulder.

Oh, nice reading that part about Madonna, but he didn't tell anything about being in American Pie video or recording the song.

And it's true, you can't be friends with somebody who says things like that. For example, those things about Guy and the brother.