30 years ago today - The Like A Virgin MTV Video Music Awards Performance

cosmic_system

Always a great blast from the past to see this. I do feel that Madonna looked so nervous but still carried it off wonderfully with her charisma and appeal. One of the most talked about performances at an awards show in history.

Guest bluejean

Wow. I've never seen the complete intro and exit. I love how she kicks off her shoes. And the way she works those cameras in the final part. And showing leg/arse at the end. Without a doubt the hottest woman in rock. Yes, I agree she was definitely nervous but the GP couldn't tell that.

I'm assuming this is a recent recording cos I've never seen it in such pristine quality?

And this is where it all began in so many ways. The importance of this performance to her career can never be overstated! This pretty much set the tone for her entire career, not to mention it set the tone for future VMA's in general. I agree, she did seem a bit nervous and that ending/exit is classic.....lol. The audience literally didn't know whether to clap or not. You can hear the shock in their hesitation, they didn't know wtf they just witnessed.

She's so beautiful and exudes so much sexuality, I could watch it over and over! Classic!!

I first became a true Madonna fan when I watched this clip. I remember coming home from school when I was like 13 and someone had made some obscure Madonna reference during the day so I decided to YouTube her and this VMA performance came up…what a good and fitting introduction to the Queen.

Such an iconic performance, probably the most important of her career. Without it Like a Virgin may not have been the hit it became, it really started the whole Madonna phenomenon. It was also one of the biggest risks she took, it could have backfired REALLY badly. Thank God it didn't.

Wow. I've never seen the complete intro and exit. I love how she kicks off her shoes. And the way she works those cameras in the final part. And showing leg/arse at the end. Without a doubt the hottest woman in rock. Yes, I agree she was definitely nervous but the GP couldn't tell that.

I'm assuming this is a recent recording cos I've never seen it in such pristine quality?

And she puts them back on again. Flawless.

Not only was this her first legendary career performance but it was also her first notable business savvy move. The song hadn't been released yet so she was expected to perform her latest single which at that time was Borderline, but instead she chose her up coming brand new single which had never been heard before and delivered it like a boss....then when it was released a short while later it went to number 1 :bow: :bow: :bow: