Everyone talks about Transgression, but Masculine/Feminine = Segment of Life.

Apples388

Now don't get me wrong, I live for Transgression.

HOWEVER -

Masculine/Feminine sometimes seems to get 'lost' in the shuffle of the majesty of this amazing tour.

Really, think about it:

We start this segment with the JUSTIFY MY LOVE video - black and white, vintage Madonna. Everything. Then this goes seamlessly into the eleganza extravaganza that is VOGUE, always majestic in any incarnation and don't you forget. This time we had the sword whooshes (oh yes) and some killer chore from the queen. The tone then gets saucier, as we transition from elegant to decadent, with EROTIC CANDY SHOP giving us a bit of girl-on-girl, some sexy tango, some finger-sucking, pussy-popping proper old school Madonna sexy fun... but then before you know, the Queen shows us the defiant side we love so much with HUMAN NATURE - in this case, The Best Ever Performance of This Song in the History of Humankind. I could go on about the mirrors, the one-woman-show choreography, the striptease.. but I won't even because we all know I'm preaching to the choir. But then... oh, then! Then we enter from that defiance into another realm, another dimension and another layer of her skin is shed to reveal the vulnerable, disturbing majesty that is LIKE A VIRGIN / LOVE SPENT, Performance Art and Madonna at her most intimate.

This segment is just too much for life itself!

I especially love how it starts as an overblown, circusy segment and, song by song, everything is deconstructed until it's just Madonna and the piano. Personally, I don't really see the masculine/feminine theme fleshed out, but rather that of self-expression and vulnerability. Each song is more intimate than the previous one.

The flow is simply beautiful, the songs are quality, and the reinventions are thoughtful - three elements the first part of the show could have benefitted from.

And the LAV performance is one of the most accomplished of her career.

It's the best tour segment since the Geisha one in DWT. And interestingly, I find their story arch being quite similar, both are about women freeing themselves of the boundaries society impose them. They are beautifully executed, full on mesmerazing theatrical performance and their choice of songs are spot on. This is what Madonna does best on stage.

I love it all

Even if I didnt like the version of JML i must say this is the MDNA SECTION. Not transgression. Even the booklet has lots of photos from the LS perf. And i love the transition to black and white