SPOTLIGHT: A revisitation.

Apples388

Stephen recently said this about "Spotlight" in the New Album thread :

I'm afraid for her performance too after the subpar addition of "Spotlight" on You Can Dance. I can't believe she did that and don't know if she will recover now in retrospect, the public is still mad she didn't make a video

Obviously he was being post-modern and ironic in the context of the new album thread insanity - but it did make me think (with a sideways look into the distance, rather dramatically) about the song and what we all think of it.

I think I like it actually.

I LOVE SPOTLIGHT!!! such a fun jam

Indeed

But is it also a gem? Remember when Niki Haris looked back a few years ago with fondness at Madonna and said "I love Madonna! She's a gem!"

Can we also say the same thing about "Spotlight"? Is "Spotlight" a gem?

These are the questions!!!

(Yes I've been on the wine.)

That Menudo live version is quite something. Ricky Martin is a proper Madonna loon. Gives Darren Hayes a run for his money.

But some fucktard from WBr has reported it on YouTube and the audio is muted :evil:

Guest whatatramp

NO ONE KNOWS YOU BETTER THAN YOU KNOW YOURSELF, DO THE THING YOU WANT DON'T WAIT FOR SOMEONE ELSE

LIFE IS JUST A PARTY, THAT'S ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW

IT'S YOUR TURN TO SHINE BABY LET YOURSELF GO

:Disco_Ball:

It's sooo Madonna and soooo forgotten. Can you imagine if they had released You Can Dance in 1986 as originally planned? I bet ya we would have had Spotlight on the WTG tour. :dramatic:

Love it. Catchy 80 madonnas

Would love to hear the original True Blue version.

Guest Pud Whacker

Stephen recently said this about "Spotlight" in the New Album thread :

I'm afraid for her performance too after the subpar addition of "Spotlight" on You Can Dance. I can't believe she did that and don't know if she will recover now in retrospect, the public is still mad she didn't make a video

Obviously he was being post-modern and ironic in the context of the new album thread insanity - but it did make me think (with a sideways look into the distance, rather dramatically) about the song and what we all think of it.

I think I like it actually.

Spotlight is LEGEND. it was the kick off of her first underground greatest hits. listen, whoever was handling it all knew what the fuck they were doing and really, at that time, if you were following her career - she was really putting an emphasis on the music instead of the IMMENSE IMAGE. just like the beginning of her career.

for the beginners, everyone knows it was always the focus hence, why when she was eligible for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2008 she was inducted - really for Everybody. so CATCH IT!

Spotlight is LEGEND. it was the kick off of her first underground greatest hits. listen, whoever was handling it all knew what the fuck they were doing and really, at that time, if you were following her career - she was really putting an emphasis on the music instead of the IMMENSE IMAGE. just like the beginning of her career.

for the beginners, everyone knows it was always the focus hence, why when she was eligible for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2008 she was inducted - really for Everybody. so CATCH IT!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

#yaaaaaaaaaas #unapologeticbitch

Only downloaded the re-mastered version of this song on Monday. Great to see it getting so much love.. Its old skool M and always feels like its Everybody Part 2.... Gotta love the "bub bubba baa`s after the bridge. ....Sweet n strong simultaneously....

I adore Spotlight, I've literally had it playing all evening, it has a fantastic bridge "Don't be afraid to fall, I'll hear you when you call." Love it!

I used to think it was a weak filler track like Can't Stop, but now I realise it's actually a great song, it's like the last pure 80s dance pop song she released. Wish it was on True Blue. If True Blue ever gets another re-release I hope it includes Spotlight, Who's That Girl, Causing a Commotion, Look of Love and Can't Stop.