The cold, unpolished production of the Erotica album: Can you appreciate it?

I love it so much. I love that album and even some weak tracks like We Are The One are enjoyable. Shame is so good. Her voice was so different in that album.

Has she ever revealed what she did to have that voice? Is it true that she screamed a lot and then hurried back to the studio? Is it true that the spoken parts were sung while she was lying in a bed with a mic? Maybe she had a cock up her vagina while singing?

While I was never able to get into Thief of Hearts (love the instrumentals though) and In This Life (love the lyrics)... There are stellar moments in Erotica. This was M's first album in which she took advantage of the extra time a CD offers compared to an LP. For that reason, I really think that Erotica feels too long (11 songs are at least 5 minutes long; two others are 4:50+). A few cuts would have made it tighter and perfect in my opinion. These extra tracks could have been b-sides on all of the six(!) singles that were released. About 17:30 minutes could have been shaved off the album without its integrity being compromised and the singles could have sold more because of the new material.

1."Erotica"

5."Where Life Begins"

2."Fever" (Album Edit) 4:27 (You Are The One as b-side)

3."Bye Bye Baby"

4."Deeper and Deeper" (Shame as b-side)

6."Bad Girl" (Album Edit) 4:38 (Dear Father as b-side)

7."Waiting"

8."Thief of Hearts" - 4:51 (Fever b-side)

9."Words"

10."Rain"

11."Why's It So Hard"

12."In This Life" - 6:23 (Rain b-side)

13."Did You Do It?" - 4:54 (Erotica b-side)

14."Secret Garden"

Blah blah blah... Now, back to appreciating the cold, raw and unpolished sound of Erotica's early 90's house music and hip hop. "Waiting" is in my Top 10 favorite Madonna songs ever. Deeper and Deeper's bassline is up there with LAP imo. Rain is epic. Secret Garden and WLB are sonically impeccable. The title track is titillating while Words is pulsant. Great thread!

It's her greatest album to date. So many songs, so many emotions. And so different from LAP, yet still adding in a touch of her personal life. It took me a few years to understand what everyone meant by grittiness, at first I never saw it. I just saw the production as how it was from that time. But I see it now. It's very raw. My fav album

Guest bluejean

Ban me if you think that real fan must love all from his idol. Just close my mouth forever. For me it will be real totalitarism.

Thought CRIMINAL!!!!

Guest Rachelle of London

But they're such a small, unrepresentative part of the album. I usually skip them.

Where life begins, waiting and secret garden are amongst the many gems on Erotica. They give the album that edge and segues perfectly into BS.

I love the album! Ironic, deboched, dark. It's like a call for help! A woman yearning to be loved! I love how mature she was on this record!

The best in my opinion.

Where life begins, waiting and secret garden are amongst the many gems on Erotica. They give the album that edge and segues perfectly into BS.

+100000000000000000000

Though I like Erotica best.

Edited by Humby

Happy-Clap.gif

Except for Bad Girl; Bad Girl sounds very commercial and polished compared to the House and Hip-Hop tinged stuff on the album.

I have never seen Bad Girl as "commercial" song..

Guest Peter1984

My dream "Erotica":

1. Erotica

2. Fever (Single Version)

3. Bye Bye Baby

4. Deeper And Deeper

5. This Used To Be My Playground

6. Bad Girl

7. Thief of Hearts

8. Words

9. Rain

10. Why It's So Hard

11. In This Life

I agree with Vande: this album is perfect from beginning to the end.

It will always have a special place in my heart because it's the album I listened on repeat when I made my coming out.

I replaced the album version of "Fever" with the video remix and I put "Goodbye to Innocence" after "In This Life" :yes:

I agree that the video version is far more superior! Just love it!

It is superior, I agree with that. But in my opinion, that remix doesn't flow as good as the album version.

And about edits, I prefer the edit of Deeper over the album version.

Guest Peter1984

What cold is in "Erotica" album? For me this album is dim and subtle. Very unique production but for me it is to much dim music