Madonna issues statement about her Detroit visit, plus local media reports

Wonderful to see Madonna promoting Detroit. I feel people always have deep affection and love for where they grew up, even if they were hard times and they have moved on to other places.

Guest ditaluver

I love this! I love YOU Madonna!

She is so inspiring...

Im so glad to see her doing this!!!!

I'm glad to see her publicly extending her charitable energy to her hometown. Detroit has been a huge cultural and commercial artery in the heart of the US. It's a shame to see its demise, and happy to see the city's most famous daughter helping to bring it back up!

The people of Detroit embody much of what Madonna stands for: working hard and staying proud and dedicated to what you believe in no matter WHAT negative things are said about you.

This city has seen more than its fair share of hard times but its people have never given up or lost their sense of pride. This is a hard working town. I don't live in the city and don't have to deal with the harsh realities that a lot of people living inside the city limits do ... but I support downtown as much as I can and the revitalization I've seen over the past few years is amazing. Detroiters don't give up! I have no doubt Madonna was inspired by what she saw. I'm glad she seemed so happy doing it too.

Wonderful to see Madonna promoting Detroit. I feel people always have deep affection and love for where they grew up, even if they were hard times and they have moved on to other places.

I think Madonna sympathises with the bright, young, beautiful, passionate and skilled people who are trapped inside the walls of a crumbling city. Every place she visited seemed to have something she could personally relate to. I absolutely love this story and would be very happy if Detroit could regenerate itself and become harmonious and happy. That's how every city in the world should be. No crime, no violence, no hatred and no regrets. The people ARE the city but I guess it's easy to forget that.

The city of Detroit filed for bankruptcy last year.

really? i don't understand how could a government city be bankrupt..not enough tax collections?

well i have no idea how things work there, sorry...

really? i don't understand how could a government city be bankrupt..not enough tax collections?

well i have no idea how things work there, sorry...

I'm not really sure either

Detroit has the potential to become the New York of the future. In the 70's New York went Bankrupt and suddenly the city became a very dangerous place, abandonned and dirty. Many companies lost money and moved or closed hence the big spacey buildings in the Lower East side and Soho.Rent were very low so artists from around the world moved in and this how modern New york was born. Beatniks left for SF and punks took over the city, music and art mixed and people from various horizons and fields mixed...the Bowery was a dirty place but full of avant gardist and creative people : Patti Smith, Blondie, New york Dolls (Bowie stole so much from them), the Ramones, Fab Five Freddy, Grandmaster Flash, modern clubbing, Afrika Bambataa, Basquiat, Haring and Madonna....so she must see some similarities.I've been fascinated by Detroit for 2 years and watched all the documentaries available online about the city. The potential and the will of people is gigantic. I'm so glad Madonna is looking into it, i remember saying here a few months ago that i would love for her to talk about Detroit and its challenges on her new album.

I love her and I love what she's doing. I would also like to say a big Fuck You to Kid Rock!!!

Keep it going Madonna!!!