Madonna issues statement about her Detroit visit, plus local media reports

It certainly is great of her to take some time out of her busy schedule and go doing things like that. And you could clearly notice once again, just from the Instagram pics alone, that she doesn't do these humanitarian actions just to get publicity, she does it because she wants to help people with heart and soul. Thumbs up from me!

(Oh and of course Kid Rock can go and fuck himself, if he doesn't even show respect to other artists, why should we?)

• 3 weeks later...

(sorry the link isn't working for me so I just posted the text. From the Detroit Free Press today)

Madonna announces funding for three Detroit groups

Madonna said she was incredibly inspired by her recent Detroit visit. Today she’s backing it up with her wallet.

In what her spokeswoman calls “the first phase of a long-term commitment” to the city, the Michigan-born pop star is announcing funding for three Detroit community groups.

Benefiting will be the Downtown Youth Boxing Gym, Detroit Achievement Academy and the Empowerment Plan — described in a press release as “three extraordinary organizations that have already begun to bring hope and change to the city.”

They were among the Detroit outfits visited by Madonna during a visit here in early June, when rep Liz Rosenberg said the star was aiming to connect with her hometown.

In a statement to be released today, Madonna says: “I was deeply inspired by the efforts of so many people who I met who have dedicated themselves to helping the kids and adults in Detroit elevate themselves from the cycle of poverty. I have seen the results their commitment and hard work have already accomplished.”

Dollar amounts were not disclosed, but the contributions will entail:

- A “significant donation” toward a new facility for the Downtown Youth Boxing Gym, which serves 65 young people with after-school boxing and mentoring.

- Equipment, art supplies and music gear for the Detroit Achievement Academy, a progressive charter school on the city’s northwest side, including iPods, iPads and Smart Boards for classrooms.

- Funding to train three seamstresses at the Empowerment Plan, which tutors homeless women in job skills while creating coats that serve as sleeping bags for the homeless.

“From meeting the kids at Downtown Youth Boxing Gym who have a 100% high school graduation rate, to seeing how eager the students at the Detroit Achievement Academy are to learn about the arts, to understanding the value of giving homeless women the opportunity to become self-sufficient through The Empowerment Plan, it was obvious to me that I had to get involved and be part of the solution to help Detroit recover,” Madonna says in today’s statement. “A piece of my heart will always be in Detroit and I’m humbled to be able to give back to my community.”

Madonna, who left Michigan for New York in her late teens to pursue an entertainment career, has been a regular visitor in recent months as her daughter, Lourdes Leon, becomes a University of Michigan freshman.

Detroit Free Press

A friend of mine who works at University of Michigan has told me that Lourdes has been accepted and she is most probably going there for school! Very reliable source! They had a freshmen event last week! No wonder why Madonna was in the area. ;)

Whoa, talk about having insider info! You really did scoop the media by at least a week for two. I'm impressed.

(sorry the link isn't working for me so I just posted the text. From the Detroit Free Press today)

Madonna announces funding for three Detroit groups

Madonna said she was incredibly inspired by her recent Detroit visit. Today she’s backing it up with her wallet.

In what her spokeswoman calls “the first phase of a long-term commitment” to the city, the Michigan-born pop star is announcing funding for three Detroit community groups.

Benefiting will be the Downtown Youth Boxing Gym, Detroit Achievement Academy and the Empowerment Plan — described in a press release as “three extraordinary organizations that have already begun to bring hope and change to the city.”

They were among the Detroit outfits visited by Madonna during a visit here in early June, when rep Liz Rosenberg said the star was aiming to connect with her hometown.

In a statement to be released today, Madonna says: “I was deeply inspired by the efforts of so many people who I met who have dedicated themselves to helping the kids and adults in Detroit elevate themselves from the cycle of poverty. I have seen the results their commitment and hard work have already accomplished.”

Dollar amounts were not disclosed, but the contributions will entail:

- A “significant donation” toward a new facility for the Downtown Youth Boxing Gym, which serves 65 young people with after-school boxing and mentoring.

- Equipment, art supplies and music gear for the Detroit Achievement Academy, a progressive charter school on the city’s northwest side, including iPods, iPads and Smart Boards for classrooms.

- Funding to train three seamstresses at the Empowerment Plan, which tutors homeless women in job skills while creating coats that serve as sleeping bags for the homeless.

“From meeting the kids at Downtown Youth Boxing Gym who have a 100% high school graduation rate, to seeing how eager the students at the Detroit Achievement Academy are to learn about the arts, to understanding the value of giving homeless women the opportunity to become self-sufficient through The Empowerment Plan, it was obvious to me that I had to get involved and be part of the solution to help Detroit recover,” Madonna says in today’s statement. “A piece of my heart will always be in Detroit and I’m humbled to be able to give back to my community.”

Madonna, who left Michigan for New York in her late teens to pursue an entertainment career, has been a regular visitor in recent months as her daughter, Lourdes Leon, becomes a University of Michigan freshman.

Detroit Free Press

this is fantastic, well done M

Since it looks Madonna is becoming quite involved in Detroit, do you think she would ever buy a home there? I could totally see her in one of those grand old mansions on Lake Michigan. Now that Lola's at UMich, she might want a place to stay in the area when she visits. Also, it seems like she's finally gotten over the issues she had with her father, so she may want to spend more time with him and the rest of her family as she gets older. There's just something that seems really sweet about her returning to her roots since she didn't look back for so long.

"Madonna is giving back to her hometown. Madonna will provide funding for the Downtown Youth Boxing Gym, an after-school program on the city’s east side; the Detroit Achievement Academy, a free public charter school on the city’s west side; and the Empowerment Plan, a Corktown organization that employs homeless women and aims to transition them into permanent housing. She will also provide speakers, iPods, iPads and Smart Boards for each classroom at the Detroit Achievement Academy. Madonna has also made a financial commitment to the University of Michigan, in the form of tuition. Her daughter, Lourdes, will attend UM in the fall as a freshman."

:wow:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140630/ENT09/306300105/Madonna-inspired-by-hometown-visit-donate-three-Detroit-groups

http://www.freep.com/article/20140630/ENT04/306300112/madonna-funding-hometown-detroit-organizations

Video from the local NBC here! The reported is a huge Madonna loon. He was in the triangle.: http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/madonna-inspired-during-recent-detroit-visit-donates-to-3-organizations-in-her-hometown/26729012

I wouldn't be surprised at all if she ended up buying a home in Michigan, by the looks of things lately.

"Madonna is giving back to her hometown. Madonna will provide funding for the Downtown Youth Boxing Gym, an after-school program on the city’s east side; the Detroit Achievement Academy, a free public charter school on the city’s west side; and the Empowerment Plan, a Corktown organization that employs homeless women and aims to transition them into permanent housing. She will also provide speakers, iPods, iPads and Smart Boards for each classroom at the Detroit Achievement Academy. Madonna has also made a financial commitment to the University of Michigan, in the form of tuition. Her daughter, Lourdes, will attend UM in the fall as a freshman."

:wow:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140630/ENT09/306300105/Madonna-inspired-by-hometown-visit-donate-three-Detroit-groups

http://www.freep.com/article/20140630/ENT04/306300112/madonna-funding-hometown-detroit-organizations

Video from the local NBC here! The reported is a huge Madonna loon. He was in the triangle.: http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/madonna-inspired-during-recent-detroit-visit-donates-to-3-organizations-in-her-hometown/26729012

This is fantastic. The sentimental side of me has always hoped she would make a major re-connection with Detroit. I feel that part of someone's heart is where they grew up - unless of course their childhood was miserable. I have always felt that Madonna had a lot of love for Detroit as she has spoken about her childhood there so often.

Guest Pud Whacker

How lovely that Lourdes will study at Ann Arbor where it all started for her mum :inlove:

:inlove:

Madonna made us all love Detroit and Michigan!!!!

They are TRASHING her over this over at Datalounge, the gay mrssage board.

It always saddens me when some of her biggest haters are gay men

Im like REALLY?

They are TRASHING her over this over at Datalounge, the gay mrssage board.

It always saddens me when some of her biggest haters are gay men

Im like REALLY?

Why are they trashing her for helping Detroit ? What is negative about that ? Some people are so hateful and warped.

Datalounge is EXTREMELY hateful towards Madonna

Its downright shocking, I used to defend her, but now if I see a Madonna topic I skip over it and dont even read it.

Some madonna topics had headlines like Why is Madonna Such a Cunt?

And Does Madonna Realize That Her Career is in,Shambles

And List the Other Acts That Madonna Has Ripped Off Throughout Her Career

They are VICIOUS over there, especially one deranged Janet loon, who HATES Madonna with the passion of a hundred suns.

Madonna Praised By Boxing Legend

'Youth Gym Is HUGE For Detroit!'

Madonna is being hailed as a HERO in the boxing community ... so says boxing Hall of Famer Tommy "The Hitman" Hearns who's praising the singer for saving a Detroit boxing gym

FYI -- Madge recently returned from a trip to Detroit and announced she'd be making "significant" donations to 3 organizations ... including the Downtown Youth Boxing Gym.

Madonna says she was super-impressed with the programs at the gym that have helped it achieve a 100% graduation rate. Recently, the gym's main building was condemned ... so, Madge's donation will allow the place to make renovations and continue to operate.

Now, Hearns -- who grew up in Detroit -- tells TMZ Sports Madonna's generosity will have a HUGE impact with young boxers and the community as a whole.

"I think it's awesome for her to help, being as big as she is," Hearns says ... "The people who get the help she provides will probably shed tears."

In fact, Hearns says he hopes Madonna's philanthropy will inspire other successful Detroit natives to give back -- "They should do as much as they can. It's where they came from, and it's not a great situation right now."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/07/06/madonna-detroit-boxing-legend-tommy-hearns/#ixzz36ioaoXOU

• 1 year later...

1 October 2015

https://instagram.com/p/8R1Im9GEb9/

madonna Downtown Youth Boxing Gym is the place to be!! Was so inspired by Cortez a young and talented Boxer hoping to go to the Olympics! If you want to help us with fundraising go to their web site for more info. #detroit ❤️#Rebelrebel-hearts

CQavQ1_WsAANP-U.jpg

https://instagram.com/p/8R3gqFGEfo/

madonna Don't Mess!!! Gurl Power at the Downtown Youth Boxing Gym‼️❤️#rebelhearts

11934892_180063985659769_1937244976_n.jp

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20151026/NEWS/310259984/3-charities-find-madonna-is-thei

October 26, 2015 3:01 a.m. UPDATED 21 HOURS AGO
3 charities find Madonna is their lucky star
By Sherri Welch
Madonna has always had an eye on Detroit as a place she wanted to give back, said Sarah Ezzy, senior adviser at Global Philanthropy Group in Los Angeles, which has been managing the pop star's philanthropy for about five years.
"It was just finding the right way to do that" and the right time, she said.
Detroit's move through the largest municipal bankruptcy in U.S. history in a bid to start fresh certainly drew Madonna's eye, Ezzy said.
Her availability to pay a visit last year was another consideration. "For her, being there is very important, going and meeting folks," Ezzy said.
Last year, while visiting Detroit, Madonna connected with Rock Ventures LLC Chairman Dan Gilbert and Vice President Lisa Dancsok to get a sense of the charitable efforts happening in the city.
"They really helped introduce us to some parts of the city and what was going on there," Ezzy said. "We had a great connection with them and tried to work together to figure out what would be a good blend of things for Madonna to see. ... It's very much an ongoing conversation with them."
Ezzy said Madonna was inspired by what she saw.
Those visits led Madonna, who grew up in Rochester as Madonna Louise Ciccone, to make highly publicized gifts of undisclosed amounts to the Downtown Boxing Gym Youth Program toward the new gym it opened in August, the charter Detroit Achievement Academy toward supplies and The Empowerment Plan, a nonprofit that trains homeless women to manufacture coats that convert into sleeping bags.
The three organizations impressed Madonna in that they share an entrepreneurial approach, Ezzy said, "finding hope out of situations that are difficult."
While in Detroit early this month as part of her 2015 tour, Madonna again visited the Detroit Boxing Gym to meet and work with the kids. And her philanthropy advisers paid another visit to the other two grantees.
"We are very actively engaged with all three of them," Ezzy said.
Madonna has gone deeper with her funding of them, as opposed to wider with funding for other Detroit charities for the moment, Ezzy said.
"All three are still growing and evolving so there's additional support they're looking for."
But Madonna's grants to the three Detroit causes are the beginning of a longer philanthropic relationship with the city, she said.
"Obviously, she has a lifetime history with Detroit — this isn't just a fly-in, fly-out relationship."
Support for the three is coming from Madonna's Ray of Light Foundation, which she alone funds, Ezzy said.
However, "she's not shy about using her social media to highlight her giving and encourage others to give directly to those efforts," Ezzy said.
Madonna donated $6.5 million to her Ray of Light Foundation in 2013, the year of its most recent tax filing available to the public. And the foundation made $2.25 million in grants that year.

Madonna donated $6.5 million to her Ray of Light Foundation in 2013, the year of its most recent tax filing available to the public. And the foundation made $2.25 million in grants that year.

Wow!!!!!!!