Madonna issues statement about her Detroit visit, plus local media reports

I love her and I love what she's doing. I would also like to say a big Fuck You to Kid Rock!!!

Keep it going Madonna!!!

:D:thumbsup:

I don't like cities .But I love Detroit .

What an amazing woman . Love her for doing this .

Guest Pud Whacker

Detroit has the potential to become the New York of the future. In the 70's New York went Bankrupt and suddenly the city became a very dangerous place, abandonned and dirty. Many companies lost money and moved or closed hence the big spacey buildings in the Lower East side and Soho.Rent were very low so artists from around the world moved in and this how modern New york was born. Beatniks left for SF and punks took over the city, music and art mixed and people from various horizons and fields mixed...the Bowery was a dirty place but full of avant gardist and creative people : Patti Smith, Blondie, New york Dolls (Bowie stole so much from them), the Ramones, Fab Five Freddy, Grandmaster Flash, modern clubbing, Afrika Bambataa, Basquiat, Haring and Madonna....so she must see some similarities.I've been fascinated by Detroit for 2 years and watched all the documentaries available online about the city. The potential and the will of people is gigantic. I'm so glad Madonna is looking into it, i remember saying here a few months ago that i would love for her to talk about Detroit and its challenges on her new album.

yup. :thumbsup:

Detroit has the potential to become the New York of the future. In the 70's New York went Bankrupt and suddenly the city became a very dangerous place, abandonned and dirty. Many companies lost money and moved or closed hence the big spacey buildings in the Lower East side and Soho.Rent were very low so artists from around the world moved in and this how modern New york was born. Beatniks left for SF and punks took over the city, music and art mixed and people from various horizons and fields mixed...the Bowery was a dirty place but full of avant gardist and creative people : Patti Smith, Blondie, New york Dolls (Bowie stole so much from them), the Ramones, Fab Five Freddy, Grandmaster Flash, modern clubbing, Afrika Bambataa, Basquiat, Haring and Madonna....so she must see some similarities.I've been fascinated by Detroit for 2 years and watched all the documentaries available online about the city. The potential and the will of people is gigantic. I'm so glad Madonna is looking into it, i remember saying here a few months ago that i would love for her to talk about Detroit and its challenges on her new album.

Love this post, popeline. It's fascinating to watch the city transform. As they say: Detroit hustles harder.

I'm sure that Madonna cares about Detroit, but let's be honest if you want to be a musician or a singer, there are certain cities that give you more opportunities to do that, like NYC, London, L.A. I'm from Washington, DC, but if I wanted to be in the music business I would have to leave. Doesn't mean I hate DC, but other cities are more artistic and have more opportunities. If she didn't care about the city, she wouldn't have come back and posted these pictures. Bless her, she didn't have to do any of this, but she did.

^ I disagree about Detroit not being a center for artists.

Most people focus on what is wrong. Madonna focuses on what is right and builds from there. Like those women in Empowerment plan. They were homeless now they are helping other women build a better life.

I'm sure Madonna will get criticized I mean really what else is new?

I'm actually flying into Detroit Airport in the next couple of months, but I will be staying in Ann Arbor. I hope Detroit one day rebounds because the city has really fallen apart.

NYC also use to be really scary in some places during the seventies & eighties, but now it's a haven for wanna be hipsters & privilege white kids from middle America.

I'm sure that Madonna cares about Detroit, but let's be honest if you want to be a musician or a singer, there are certain cities that give you more opportunities to do that, like NYC, London, L.A. I'm from Washington, DC, but if I wanted to be in the music business I would have to leave. Doesn't mean I hate DC, but other cities are more artistic and have more opportunities. If she didn't care about the city, she wouldn't have come back and posted these pictures. Bless her, she didn't have to do any of this, but she did.

Madonna has said for YEARS that Detroit exposed to many forms of art during her formidable years, including the mural by Diego Vera that also exposed her to Frida Kahlo's work.

It can, and I believe will make a comeback. Detroit gave birth to Motown, and it has one of the best and well attended EDM/techno music festivals every year as well. One of my best friends is a burlesque performer and performance artist, but also musician and music producer, and she has attended for several years

With her partner who is also a music producer and musician. So, I guess depending on what type of music you'd like to break into, it's not impossible.

Inspiration comes out of hard times. It's a fact. That city will have a lot of inspiration. Also Queen Kenya Moore comes from there.

It's fascinating to see a city like Detroit in the world's most powerful country. Detroit embodies the economical crisis and the failure of our society and capitalism. Detroit was built on capitalism (and not on Rock n roll contrary to the legend though Detroit's contribution to popular music in unprecedented not only because of Motown and punk music, Madonna and techno ^^), a city made by and for car manufacturers. Detroit was where the american dream was made for the vast majority of americans and immigrants.

I don't want to sound too much like Kaballah Madonna but life comes from chaos, creativity comes from lack of material, structures etc... Detroit must reinvent not only itself but how we function as a society and people living there are very keen on that, they don't want to make the same mistakes people before them did. The fear for Detroit is gentrification like in every major cities in the world, a massive hipster invasion, people from money trying to be cool by association and raising the prices of things around them transforming everything they touch into something elitistic. Creative people aren't usually trust funds babies but people who need to invent and create what they don't have. Art comes from these moments in history, creating something out of nothing without rules. So Detroit is a very interesting place and story because it shows that we are not apathic, that yes we can overcome things and be creative, that no it's not true that there aren't anything new to explore, create, invent etc....And Detroit is a city that is being built by people for people not by companies like it used to be. The icing on the cake would be a Madonna collab with other Michiganers : Sufjan Stevens or Underground Resistance.

I LOVE underground resistance. I agree with everything but the word is elitist. :-) I may be in the most amazing and thriving city in the world and I'm thankful for that but you can believe me when I say there's a lot that I don't have. I don't focus on that but I'm self aware enough to know that it's the very thing that pushes me to want more and to do more.

I'm actually flying into Detroit Airport in the next couple of months, but I will be staying in Ann Arbor.

Have you been to Ann Arbor before, nick00? That's my hometown :) You can see a lot on foot there depending on where you're staying. Great walking town.

Madonna has said for YEARS that Detroit exposed to many forms of art during her formidable years, including the mural by Diego Vera that also exposed her to Frida Kahlo's work.

It can, and I believe will make a comeback. Detroit gave birth to Motown, and it has one of the best and well attended EDM/techno music festivals every year as well. One of my best friends is a burlesque performer and performance artist, but also musician and music producer, and she has attended for several years

With her partner who is also a music producer and musician. So, I guess depending on what type of music you'd like to break into, it's not impossible.

You're right, Madryan, the Detroit techo festival (Movement Detroit - http://www.movement.us/ ) is incredible. Held every year over Memorial Day weekend. It's one of the best things I've ever attended. Lots of international travelers come to that.

really? i don't understand how could a government city be bankrupt..not enough tax collections?

well i have no idea how things work there, sorry...

I'm not an expert but I think it had to do with a huge decline in population and the failure of the auto industry, its main employer. So there weren't enough people with high enough incomes paying taxes and too many people needing services, like welfare, food stamps etc. I read that the population had declined from 1.8 million to 700,000 people.

Guys, it's not as dramatic as the media makes it look. Detroit has been like this for decades now. Things were much worse in the 80s and 90s. Since 2004-5 the downtown area has been exploding.

What happened was that everyone moved to the suburbs. Detroit's suburbs are some of the most affluent, safest and nicest in the whole country. I haven't seen anywhere in the world such nice suburbs. Oakland country where like 30-40% of the suburbs are is one of the richest counties in the country. That's where Madonna's high school is.

All cities around the world have bad areas, but they are not in the heart of the city. In Detroit, the proper city collapsed in the 60s-70s and everything moved to the suburbs. That's what makes it fascinating and distinct.

About time. I've been amazed that Madonna has never mentioned the problems that have been going on in Detroit since the mid 80's. Same with Oprah. I suppose its not as hip or glamourous as going to Africa and saving kids there

A friend of mine who works at University of Michigan has told me that Lourdes has been accepted and she is most probably going there for school! Very reliable source! They had a freshmen event last week! No wonder why Madonna was in the area. ;)

The local media in Detroit is gushing about Madonna's surprise visit and play a clip of Kid Rock saying she ain't done nothing for Detroit.

It's a really cute clip.

Locals say she was friendly, low-key, down to earth and genuinely interested in what they were doing.

She obviously has plans to help the city as she visited with a billionaire philanthropic to study what woman in need out there are doing to pass by.

****** A WISH I COULD VOTE ON TOPIC THREADS AGAIN. I WOULD GIVE THIS A 5 STAR.

a moderator blocked me from voting on any threads over a year ago. I think it might be time to restore my privileges ???

somebody ? please? you've made your point, now please give me some freedom ?

****** A WISH I COULD VOTE ON TOPIC THREADS AGAIN. I WOULD GIVE THIS A 5 STAR.

a moderator blocked me from voting on any threads over a year ago. I think it might be time to restore my privileges ???

somebody ? please? you've made your point, now please give me some freedom ?

I thought voting stars for a thread was disabled on the entire forum in general to spare feelings? Don't know why. Like who cares if a thread you make gets one star. :lmao:

Anyway back to the good work Madonna continues to do. Love the woman!

I thought voting stars for a thread was disabled on the entire forum in general to spare feelings? Don't know why. Like who cares if a thread you make gets one star. :lmao:

Anyway back to the good work Madonna continues to do. Love the woman!

Yes it is disabled for everyone.

Some people, here, really feel persecuted and/or are egocentric, :lol: