Death & Taxes: Madonna Was Better Than Michael Jackson

That's actually not true though. Madonna is not regarded as one of the greats by both the media & the public.

Aside form this forum, I have never in my life seen any television broadcast, award show, or tribute to Madonna that equates her success with Micheal Jackson's. Yes, her impact and legacy is JUST AS BIG (I'd argue that it's bigger) as MJ's, but the general public does not think so. When she dies, I'm sure they'll finally get into her catalog & recognize as her as the Queen of Life she is, but in the present day she's still tossed into the league of current flop princesses as if she's not above & beyond them.

And as an individual artist, MJ really never grew or adapted post -1980's. His worldwide influence is undeniable, but in terms of artistry, versatility, longevity, and personal conviction ...Madonna kinda slays him in every possible way & that's no shade to him.

This beautiful comment :')

Of course MOST people in the US view Madonna, as a legend even when they talk shit and take the piss out of her

But the criticism and hate that she gets is NOTHING compared to what MJ got

People really hated him and went in on him as a freak before he died

One of the Beastie Boys even said that they wanted to spit in his face

Of course MOST people in the US view Madonna, as a legend even when they talk shit and take the piss out of her

But the criticism and hate that she gets is NOTHING compared to what MJ got

People really hated him and went in on him as a freak before he died

One of the Beastie Boys even said that they wanted to spit in his face

He doesn't deserve to be spat on ( awful ) unless its a guy lubing your ass up before a pounding, but Michael did bring a lot of the shit that happened to him upon himself, very similar to gaga. that's the big difference. Whilst Madonna copped shit for expressing her sexual fantasies, Michael goes around playing the victim card telling the world he sleeps with little boys because his Peter Pan? It would have been a lot more honest of Michael to tell the world he was gay or had pedophile feelings or asexual etc instead of constantly covering up with stories of pajama parties and I love Lisa Marie. The difference is that Madonna cops shit for being honest and holding a mirror to people to self reflect ( which we hate as a society ) Michael copped shit because he was a dishonest.

Omg so you guys are really discussing his personal life AGAIN. I need to bring up chelle's question from her previous post, don't you guys ever get bored of this topic?

On another side note its kind of funny that everyone remembers that speech, but no one remembers Janets tribute at all. :lol:

Not true at all. I know and have seen plenty of folks who remember both very well. The whole speech + performance is remembered very fondly, whether it comes up in conversation in real life, or anywhere I've been online (except here, of course).

Omg so you guys are really discussing his personal life AGAIN. I need to bring up chelle's question from her previous post, don't you guys ever get bored of this topic?

To answer: No. It's is a lot more interesting to discuss his personal life ( which is psychologically intriguing ) when compared to the boring shit that is produced today. Oh look Katy has died her hair green, oh look Beyonce has a new snatched wig,, oh look lady gaga discusses a famous painting she has no fucking idea about. What's the point of discussing the personal lives of these bores, when you have artists such as Michael, Andy, Mariah who are naturally kooky and intriguing.

Beyonce has a new snatched wig.

^An everyday occurrence Hallelujah AMEN. :wow:

Ever since My early childhood, I remember Michael Jackson's name always being associated with drama. His private life overshadowed his music (after he died there was a NOTICEABLE shift in the way he was received here in the US). MJ jokes were banned, tributes were frequent, everyone had suddenly become a fan of his again. Which is cool, for them, I just see him for what he was; a talented man with more than a few demons. -He's a tragic figure, like most legends, whereas Madonna is not.

Madonna's had her share of controversy regarding her work but she's managed to avoid any REAL personal scandals. Shes always been able to bounce back WITHOUT self destructing. They are the KING & THE QUEEN, and she's just... better.

Michael was a master of the fantasy...taking Hollywood musical grandeur and restyling it for the pop age. He was a student of the "old-school"...where R&B artists mastered a performance/dance/style and made it their signature. They didn't change or "re-invent" because it wasn't their style (having grown up around those musicians/music myself, I understand that). He was the one who loved "making magic". While he stayed in the lines...he did it better than anyone else....which is also why his acceptance (esp. at his peak) was, and still is, higher. He was palatable for all audiences. And as obsessed with "magic" as he was...it coincided with his life being the enigma it was. As much as Michael endured (and I do believe he was strong), he ultimately succumbed to his own doing. A master artist...but a personal victim.

Madonna is a master of holding up the mirror to society and making it see it's bullshit (even through her own fantasy). That ultimately is more threatening...and never-ending. She is the master "reinventer"... always one step ahead of where culture is going...and where it meets the sociopolitical line. She's not so interested in "making magic"...she's interested in using music/culture/art to revolutionize...and personally that makes her the stronger artist in the end (even if it's never fully understood, or if she never gets that credit). While Michael was personally misunderstood...It's my belief that Madonna is actually quite well understood, even by her detractors, which is why she is the ultimate threat. She is the anti-thesis to Michael's personal life...forever the rebel, forever the "fuck you" to society's bullshit...never the victim.

Study pop culture and pop music...and no male or female has come close, or ever will, to what Madonna and Michael have achieved - on every level.

Even with all their differences - personal, artistic, business-wise, accomplishments, strengths, weakness, highs and lows, peaks and valleys, etc. - they are the only two to ever really reach that level, and probably ever will. Considering the nature of the business today, nobody else will. They may come close...but the thrones are occupied (as cheesy as that sounds, it's true).

I adore both...and recognize that they are completely different artists, as well as completely different individuals. And that's great. I accept that...and find it fascinating.

The differences do not diminish their earned places in pop culture.

Unlike some here, even with all of Michael's shortcomings/mistakes/and early peak... I fully believe he deserves his status.

What pisses me off is society not giving that same respect to Madonna. But, we all know why...

VogueMusic, I can't tell you how much I love you right now! Perfect A+ prime post. Thank you.

Now put an end to this "better than", "cooler than", "more influential than" crap. As much as some of you guys seem to be fascinated with comparing him to M and vice-versa (instead of just accepting them both as equal icons and get it over with), it gets boring after like 10 threads in this year already. And as much as his personal life is interesting (not really) to talk about, it doesn't need to get recycled every month in other threads, only eventually derailing them all. That's all I have to say about that. Bye.

Regarding no-one coming close to the impact of Michael Jackson, I can think of some others in the same league - Elvis and the Beatles. They were way before my time but their music, impact and image are also legendary. Elvis was the King way before Michael Jackson.

Regarding no-one coming close to the impact of Michael Jackson, I can think of some others in the same league - Elvis and the Beatles. They were way before my time but their music, impact and image are also legendary. Elvis was the King way before Michael Jackson.

I agree with some people have been saying that M is definitely in the same league as The Beatles, Elvis, & MJ. Her commercial & artistic success for over three decades is an incredible achievement that no one will most likely do again!! The problem also today is that some people have a very poor understanding of the music that became before them. It seems like all of a sudden too many artists hit songs, albums, & wardrobes are called iconic by their fans & the ignorant people in the entertainment industry :sad:

I agree with some people have been saying that M is definitely in the same league as The Beatles, Elvis, & MJ. Her commercial & artistic success for over three decades is an incredible achievement that no one will most likely do again!! The problem also today is that some people have a very poor understanding of the music that became before them. It seems like all of a sudden too many artists hit songs, albums, & wardrobes are called iconic by their fans & the ignorant people in the entertainment industry :sad:

Madonna is absolutely and easily in the same league as The Beatles, Elvis and Michael Jackson. She is in my book, the ultimate superstar who has stayed that way for 3 decades. I probably would also add Frank Sinatra to the list as his music and style has been so influential and his music sales have been incredible too. I agree with you that too often people don't pay artists from the past the respect they deserve.

Listening and appreciating music from previous decades and times and seeing how they have influenced current stars is part of the joy of music. People may laugh but for me, Abba is also high on the list. I hear their influences everywhere although I understand that they were not as famous in the USA as in other countries. Still, their music is copied everywhere and seems more appreciated and acknowledged now.

Madonna is absolutely and easily in the same league as The Beatles, Elvis and Michael Jackson. She is in my book, the ultimate superstar who has stayed that way for 3 decades. I probably would also add Frank Sinatra to the list as his music and style has been so influential and his music sales have been incredible too. I agree with you that too often people don't pay artists from the past the respect they deserve.

Listening and appreciating music from previous decades and times and seeing how they have influenced current stars is part of the joy of music. People may laugh but for me, Abba is also high on the list. I hear their influences everywhere although I understand that they were not as famous in the USA as in other countries. Still, their music is copied everywhere and seems more appreciated and acknowledged now.

Preach Jazzy! Not to diminish what MJ contributed to society, because i think his greatest cause was breaking down barriers/ acceptance of african/black artists. But give me vogue ( another black initiative ) over the fucking moonwalk any-day!!! Actually give me Diana Ross anyday. Toodles, Im off to play my old piano!!!

Now obviously I prefer Madonna to MJ and the article makes some valid points, but it just seems childish for people to write these articles comparing artists. They are very different and I don't see the need to prove one is better than the other. They are just different and different people will like one better than the other or maybe some people like neither. What does it really achieve by comparing them like this? I'm sure next week some MJ fan could write some article saying why they think he is better than Madonna and his fans could post that here. Would we like that? I don't think so. I don't have to feel superior by reading these articles. I like Madonna because she's Madonna, not because she's better than anyone else. Just because she's herself and works on being herself and doesn't compare or compete with anyone.

Now obviously I prefer Madonna to MJ and the article makes some valid points, but it just seems childish for people to write these articles comparing artists. They are very different and I don't see the need to prove one is better than the other. They are just different and different people will like one better than the other or maybe some people like neither. What does it really achieve by comparing them like this? I'm sure next week some MJ fan could write some article saying why they think he is better than Madonna and his fans could post that here. Would we like that? I don't think so. I don't have to feel superior by reading these articles. I like Madonna because she's Madonna, not because she's better than anyone else. Just because she's herself and works on being herself and doesn't compare or compete with anyone.

Glinda, I would prefer your opinion on Tori's new album? I was initially excited and now a feel of reductiveness washes over me :)

I won't get into the Madonna/MJ debate although more or less I agree with what CICATRIX wrote. But whoever wrote this has some weird sense of humour. Placing Mariah among the Beatles, Elvis, MJ, Elton and Madonna? :rotfl:

In their dreams maybe. Mariah is that singer with the big voice (and by the way Whitney could mop the floor with her in beauty, talent and intelligence any time) who comes from the US and sold shitloads of records in the first half of the 90s. Big deal. Nothing iconic, cultural or minimally relatable to the impact that all the others had, including very much Madonna of course.

Yeah it does seem that Whitney gets forgotten and yet she was hugely successful and very beautiful/skilled. To me she's worth a thousand Mariahs.

Madonna

Like a Virgin

True Blue

Who's That Girl?
You Can Dance

Like a Prayer

I'm Breathless

The Immaculate Collection

Erotica

Bedtime Stories

Something to Remember

Evita

Ray of Light

Music

GHV2

American Life

Remixed and Revisited

I'm Going to Tell you a Secret

Confessions on a Dance Floor

Confessions Tour

Hard Candy

Sticky & Sweet Tour

Celebration

MDNA
MDNA Tour

Rebel Heart

Veni Vidi Vici Tour

Now obviously I prefer Madonna to MJ and the article makes some valid points, but it just seems childish for people to write these articles comparing artists.

Have you noticed that music journalists can't mention Madonna without mentioning Lady Gaga? It's right there and It's getting really odd.

Michael & Madonna have so much in common including that some of their biggest signature, iconic hits were written by someone else. I was very surprised to learn that Michael didn't write "Thriller" or "Man In The Mirror". My room mate was equally surprised when he found out (years ago) that Madonna didn't write "Like A Virgin" or "Material Girl".

Michael Jackson was the one black performer white America could not diminish his global impact. And for that Elvis and The Beatles don't have shit on him. Madonna beat both Michael and Prince in the game of life. Prince is too egotistical and esoteric to be fully embraced. Mike became a complacent nostalgia act. Madonna is very much alive in her reach on us all. If I could live a little bit of my day like Madonna from any era in her life or career I feel just a little bit more closer to greatness. Sorry for the ramble. I know I'm rambling instead of making a concrete point.

Prince is too egotistical and esoteric to be fully embraced. Mike because a complacent nostalgia act. Madonna is very much alive in her reach on us all. If I could live a little bit of my day like Madonna from any era in her life or career I feel just a little bit more closer to greatness

WORD

Guest SecretGarden

I think Michael has made some of the greatest pop songs of all time, so of course it's inevitable people would compare him to Madonna, who's also created some of the greatest pop songs of all time.

If we're speaking strictly musically, then I find Michael was ultimately too repetitive; always trying to re-create his 80s sound (which, when you think about it, was hardly unique), or trying to copy the Jimmy Jam Terry Lewis Minneapolis Funk sound, made famous in part by his sister Janet. I prefer a risk taker, musically and visually, and Madonna is definitely a risk taker.

It just irks me how Michael is heralded as some one in a millennium absolutely unique type of artist by the general public, now that he's dead, yes he was a great artist but hardly original; Diana Ross, Fred Astaire and others were huge influences on his music and visual style, and honestly he never grew out of trying to copy them.

MADONNA is better than MJ in a lot of ways... over-all in managing personal lives and finances, MADONNA is clearly a lot better... In terms of self-discipline, MADONNA has much more of it, hence she's still fit and with sound mind at 55... In these fields, MADONNA is clearly much better...

Now in terms of musical achievements... longevity, MADONNA is clearly the winner... but with cultural impact, i think they are equals...