Erotica Among NME (Readers') 50 Most Mind-Blowing Albums

jonski43

She literally talks about sex throughout the whole album over some random-ass house or jazz beats and all of that just to be provocative. This was her most attention-seeking album. I mean, I dearly love Madonna and I DO love Erotica and think it has a lot of great great tracks, but it pales when compared to some of Madonna's other stuff in terms of production, lyrical content and so on...I also think it really hasn't aged well at all, most of the songs sound very dated and I mean, that's okay, because it's an album from the early nineties, but if you compare it to Bedtime Stories, for example. You quickly realize that Bedtime Stories is much more of a timeless album with songs that still sound fresh and not dated at all.

Learn to pay attention to music you are listening. Doesn't surprise me you fell for Señora Papa.

Sorry but Erotica is NOT overrated. It's a beautiful album. It was actually the album that really hooked me in as a Madonna fan. I was around 7 years old at the time. My sister played it to death and I adored it. I liked the slightly taboo element and I wasn't even fully aware of the sex book so I got that from the songs themselves. My sister has everything before that and I always saw Madonna videos in rotation on TV but this album brought Madonna to me in a new way. I guess it felt more personal, more forward and more daring. That's why it sustained my attention.

When talking about the way Madonna 'speaks' over instrumentals it shouldn't be considered lazy. That's extraordinarily difficult to do without it sounding cheesey and keeping it musical. She also has a consistent and yet explorative vocal effort across the album. There's so much to love. I also played it to somebody 7 years younger than me recently and her comment was that it sounded so fresh. I definitely don't feel like it sounds dated at all. I think SINCE Erotica all of her albums have been much more timeless in sound. LAP can sound extraordinarily dated.

Can someone post the text? What a goddamn mess on ipad

Stephen Fantinel picks Madonna’s ‘Erotica’. “One of the greatest albums I've ever heard, it's at the musical forefront of being adventurous, pushes the boundaries of self expression and plants the message of loving yourself and your body. The Queen of Pop slays!”

Read more at http://www.nme.com/photos/50-mind-blowing-albums-that-changed-nme-readers-lives/336939/1/1#vZEuEZROuYRwbCT2.99

Stephen Fantinel is part of the evil Australian Facebook page that San is part of but I think he's one of the decent ones.

I don't consider Madonna having a 'best' album because each has different qualities and are useful in different situations. However, Erotica is definitely one of the most mature and artistically accomplished she ever did. The imagery was gorgeous, the music was complex and yet easy on the ear. What more could you want?

I can't believe how overrated this album is. Wow.

Are you fucking kidding? This album is FAR from being overrated, it's one of her best. Nice to see some recognition for it!

I love Erotica. I expect it is my most played Madonna album. ROL and LAP might be marvellous and favourites of critics and fans alike but Erotica has a colourful, rough and seedy charm that I find irresistible. It contains Bad Girl, my most favourite Madonna song ever.

:angel:

MPowered is the little shit who attacked and insulted anyone who dared say something bad about ShitGA so his or her opinion is as relevant as Artpop is. I have it on block since i don't have time to waste on reading bullshit but since you are quoting it i have to adress it. She' not talking about sex, the only song about sex is Where life begins. All the other songs are about dysfunctional love affairs, unrequited love, bittersweet love, loneliness and abandon. Even the song Erotica is a fight between Sex and Romance ("Erotica/ romance.....EROTICA/ ROMANCE !"). It's noy her best but it's significantly one of her best album, it's overlong yes, some vocals are pretty bad and almost ruin excellent tracks (how nasal is she on Bad girl and Deeper and deeper !) but saying the disjointed Bedtime stories is better is completly stupid. IMO there's no Best Madonna album, they all have flaws, they all complement each other and her discography should be seen as a whole to see how diverse and rich it is compared to her peers.

As mentioned, this is a readers' list, so not really an ACCLAIMED list. :)

How could LAP and ROL be overrated when they are best albums? Erotica was a brave and brazen album, and I appreciate it and its intent- but it's not a patch on those two recordings (and some other M albums).

Well ROL IS overrated tbh. I really love that album but it's nowhere near Erotica's creativity in my book. Erotica is her most adventurous and risky record. In This Life and Bad Girl alone >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Wait, did i just see MPowered, a GAGA FAN, saying Erotica is an "attention-seeking" album? And saying it's all about sex?? What a JOKE. You clearly didn't listened to that album, only read the biased reviews about it. Most of the album is NOT about sex. I bet you think Gaga's generic electro-pop shit is better than this :lmao:

And you talk about "singing about things that matters". Isn't it what she was doing with songs like In This Life? You know, a song more personal and meaningful than anything Gaga ever did?

Stephen Fantinel picks Madonnas Erotica. One of the greatest albums I've ever heard, it's at the musical forefront of being adventurous, pushes the boundaries of self expression and plants the message of loving yourself and your body. The Queen of Pop slays!

Read more at http://www.nme.com/photos/50-mind-blowing-albums-that-changed-nme-readers-lives/336939/1/1#vZEuEZROuYRwbCT2.99

Stephen Fantinel is part of the evil Australian Facebook page that San is part of but I think he's one of the decent ones.

Yeah, he is, but hardly posts. He has a similar sense of humour to me.

Everything is down to personal opinions when people call things over-rated. Personally, I love Erotica. One of the best things about Madonna as a music artist is the way she consistently creates wonderful and different styles of music - and does it so beautifully. I can't think of another music artist who over their career has so many different types of songs - musically and stylistically. Not to mention the lyrics and meanings of songs. Erotica was such a departure at the time and also has one of my favourite cover versions of hers in Fever. It was hated at the time but I loved the subtle way she sang it. There is so many songs to love on Erotica and it was also way before it's time.

The thing with Erotica, the singles were great even if they weren't as successful as the others. While LAP was a great hailed album, EROTICA was her first "concept" album. It's as personal as LAP and more experimental than it. At the same time, the album is not for people with short attention span because the tracks are long and you really have to experience the tracks from beginning to end to fully grasp what Erotica was about.

This was what ARTPOP tried to be and failed in all aspects.

Erotica is the album all these new comers from Rihanna to Beyonce to Gaga would die to have in their discography.

In terms of artistry is flawless.. All songs have a consistent sound.. the production is simple, dark and very intimate. It's so raw you would not think this is the same woman who gave us True Blue or even Like A Prayer..

If you think Biggie released Ready To Die in 1994 and Madonna released Erotica in 1992.. well guys wasn't Erotica a sign of the times?

i loved how many people don't like the album as it's not as poppish as her previous works but once again that was Madonna genius in realizing times were changing and the new R&B/Hip Hop/Urban (street) sound was going to conquer the general public's minds for generations to come..and wasn't she right?

The thing with Erotica, the singles were great even if they weren't as successful as the others. While LAP was a great hailed album, EROTICA was her first "concept" album. It's as personal as LAP and more experimental than it. At the same time, the album is not for people with short attention span because the tracks are long and you really have to experience the tracks from beginning to end to fully grasp what Erotica was about.

This was what ARTPOP tried to be and failed in all aspects.

Erotica is the album all these new comers from Rihanna to Beyonce to Gaga would die to have in their discography.

In terms of artistry is flawless.. All songs have a consistent sound.. the production is simple, dark and very intimate. It's so raw you would not think this is the same woman who gave us True Blue or even Like A Prayer..

If you think Biggie released Ready To Die in 1994 and Madonna released Erotica in 1992.. well guys wasn't Erotica a sign of the times?

i loved how many people don't like the album as it's not as poppish as her previous works but once again that was Madonna genius in realizing times were changing and the new R&B/Hip Hop/Urban (street) sound was going to conquer the general public's minds for generations to come..and wasn't she right?

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Completely agree with jazzyjan too, as always :thumbsup:

At least people and the general public remember the Erotica era (mainly because of SEX probably). Poor Bedtime Stories always seems to get overlooked, so I consider BS a much more underrated piece of work than even Erotica.

Also, while I do love Erotica, it's definitely an album I have to be in a certain mood or have a certain patience for if I'm going to listen to it from beginning to end. Honestly, I think the Andre Betts tracks are far superior to the Shep Pettibone tracks, as I think a good deal of Pettibone's production has not aged as well.

I would have loved to see her work with Betts again for Bedtime Story, but I guess after the public reaction to Erotica/SEX and the apparent falling out she had with Pettibone, she was just ready to move on and try to rebuild her image with the mass public in the mid 90's.

I don't think ROL or LAP r overrated.

But let's face it critical acclaim isn't always the be all and end all.

A lot of times there's a bit of a herd mentality going on, especially with what I consider 2 be 'list albums'.

The ones that appear on every fucking 'best ever' list, like every other Beatles record...or Pet Sounds

(which I love)...I often find the intent behind the write ups questionable. Especially when it's done

by twenty something editors...I mean ur like what, a 3rd generation born after Sgt. Pepper was released,

give me a break ur just writing in a mind frame that was laid out 4 u.

My personal feelings about E aside, I do think it's at least underrated in the sense that a lot of people consider

it shit cuz that's when she did SEX and she really lost the plot. It certainly has that reputation.

^Well i think when an album is cited as the best ever again and again and again and again and again, it end up being overrated at some extent. That's my feeling about Ray of Light, it's an amazing album but the constant overhype of it killed the mood a little bit for me. I was really disappointed the first time i heard it, i expected it to be better.

Since then it grew on me and i really love it now. But when i listen to albums like Erotica, Music or American Life it's impossible for me to think it's her best album. It's just my opinion of course.

Guest Pud Whacker

i love her dry sexy vocals on the song Erotica.

where is mattress to tell me how she recorded the album with a microphone from the 30's?!!!

I go back and forth - some days my fave m album is BS, sometimes E - E usually wins. I have the vinyl hanging in my office. when you hear side 1 back to back from erotica thru waiting - then some of her darkest, best club-house-dance pop ever (words, thief) then her best balled ever - it's just no question. I can't fuck a Madonna fan who prefers ray of light to erotica - what an ultimate turn off. go hug a new age psychic or take a yoga class you new age bandwagoners. ROL is a classic but it's the logical conclusion to the very sound she started with E...

eff the E haters basically

I must admit that, as an album, Erotica sorta kinda went over my head when it was released -and I'll chalk that up to age, I was 14 or 15 when it came out, I think I was too young to really appreciate it. I did love all of the singles released from it. But that was then. Now I love it. From first note to last. In fact, it is my favorite M album of them all. I don't think of it as a mere collection of songs or singles. It's a piece of art to be enjoyed from first note to the last, is the one M album I would chose if forced to pick just one. This is it. I got together with some friends not too long ago and we blasted Erotica in its entirety and all of us agreed how awesome it still sounds after all this time.

Erotica is far from overrated in general. The whole deserves more praise. However I do think it's overrated amongst Madonna fans. It's a good album, a magnificent Madonna era and visually stunning but it's not my favorite only bc there is a slew of M albums and eras that are better, not necessarily by leaps-and-bounds, just, merely "better."

LAP & ROL are overrated yes.

absurd.gif

I still play the instrumental version of erotica and marvel at the quality of the production. There are few artists in the last thirty years who've created something so beautiful with such an inspired use of samples.

I also love bedtime stories. The period of 92 to 95 I call Miamidonna from sex to the Versace shoot. It's one of my favourite periods in her career. Great songs, videos, mixes and photoshoots.

Guest Rachelle of London

Why do some people present their opinion as fact? If you think any album is overrated whooptydoo you win a bloody prize.