Question about The "Dress You Up" Video

Matt

You guys are so wise! Wikipedia on legs!

I recall as a child i loved Madonna but didn't have any record. Finally i had LAV and TB, but wanted to buy the WTG soundtrack, but i didn't have the money. So i taped the video for WTG (i think it was premiered the very same day than MJ's Bad, but i may be wrong) and recorded it in my cassette. Then months later waited to tape the video for Causing a Commotion and when i could finally tape it, it was the live version and i was SHOCKED.

I loved how she moved, but the voice.. i wanted the song to sound exactly like the one in the album, hahahahaha. Now, i like it more live than the studio version, hehe.

Hey Pud, what about the Lucky Star video? Was the short edit from the Immaculate VHS or the longer edit from the Madonna home video / Immaculate DVD actually aired back in the day?

I wish there were videos available of all the other entries for the TB video contest. Didn't they air on them for an entire day?

Did MTV US play the real TB video at all at the time? Or just all the other outlets? M's TB video did fascinate me as a child, I was obsessed with that song and video.

Thanks Pud:))). So DYU did not had a Video to surport the single in the US. Just like I thought. It could have been an even bigger Hit with Video. The LAV era was over pretty quickly in the US but continued till the end of 1985 in Europe.

The Causing A Commotion Video is also interesting. I remember that we (in Germany) had the live Video on a Morning Show in 1987. I don't kknow which one it was but I believe it was not the one from Ciao Italia. Since I did not had MTV it really is hard to tell what was played.

From Bye Bye Baby MTV played the VMA performance ( but not very often) and other channels ( like on Bravo TV) we got the GS one.

Hanky Panky had the BAT one with the album Version audio.

And then there is the biggest Madonna Video Mystery ever. MTV Europe did not play the I'll Remember Video at all in the first few week while it was on the charts. They did not even mentioned the song on the Charts, they just anounced number 8 and after that number 6 and not even mentioned M at number 7. it was ridiculous really. A few weeks later MTV played the song, it was for weeks in the Top 5 on Dial MTV. Why did MTV Europe boycott the Video?

It's interesting that the LAV era seems so big in Europe when, certainly in the Uk, her three biggest hits of 85, ITG, CFY and holiday weren't actually part of the project! At least they put ITG on the album later on but still without these songs, the period would have been over over in less than a year.

At the time, I'd heard that the reaction to the true blue video was so bad in the US, they did the competition. Is this true or was it always the intention?

It's interesting that the LAV era seems so big in Europe when, certainly in the Uk, her three biggest hits of 85, ITG, CFY and holiday weren't actually part of the project! At least they put ITG on the album later on but still without these songs, the period would have been over over in less than a year.

At the time, I'd heard that the reaction to the true blue video was so bad in the US, they did the competition. Is this true or was it always the intention?

Thats my point. WB made a mistake I guess with the US single releases. Madonna was hot in ' 85. They could milk it more and it everything would have worked.

I can't believe that the TB video was received bad. Why would it. It did fit perfectely and there is nothing wrong with it. It was no big prodiction but look at other videos from the mid 80's most of them were corny;)

Yeah, the things they do to promote her in each country is a very interesting thing...

For example, on VH-1 I've never seen the original "Fever" video, they only aired the video montage (I'd love to know why). VH-1 used to air different edits of "Bad girl" (without the end), "Deeper and deeper", "Oh father"... There is a different edit for "Take a bow" where they cut the bull scenes and they used images from "La isla bonita" to fill the gaps :huh:

About "GMAYL" didn't know that there were two different edits. I knew about "Girl Gone Wild" and "Turn up the radio" ones but not this one...

And anybody can tell me what about the "Top of the pops" "Holiday" video? I'd like to know if the video aired had logos on it. The one I have the "Madonna Holiday 29" writting on it when it stars... On the "It's that girl" video was the same?

Yeah, the things they do to promote her in each country is a very interesting thing...

For example, on VH-1 I've never seen the original "Fever" video, they only aired the video montage (I'd love to know why). VH-1 used to air different edits of "Bad girl" (without the end), "Deeper and deeper", "Oh father"... There is a different edit for "Take a bow" where they cut the bull scenes and they used images from "La isla bonita" to fill the gaps :huh:

About "GMAYL" didn't know that there were two different edits. I knew about "Girl Gone Wild" and "Turn up the radio" ones but not this one...

And anybody can tell me what about the "Top of the pops" "Holiday" video? I'd like to know if the video aired had logos on it. The one I have the "Madonna Holiday 29" writting on it when it stars... On the "It's that girl" video was the same?

The Fever montage video was released as the single came out before the proper video was filmed. With bad girl flopping in the Uk, Fever was rush released just four weeks later and the Uk often created montage videos when there was no official ones available.

As for Holiday, top of the pops videos were only used by the BBC as it was their programme and there were no logos originally. Logos only started getting used in the nineties when digital TV took off with multiple channels. Other Uk channels showed the Solid Gold dreadlock video.

The Fever montage video was released as the single came out before the proper video was filmed. With bad girl flopping in the Uk, Fever was rush released just four weeks later and the Uk often created montage videos when there was no official ones available.

As for Holiday, top of the pops videos were only used by the BBC as it was their programme and there were no logos originally. Logos only started getting used in the nineties when digital TV took off with multiple channels. Other Uk channels showed the Solid Gold dreadlock video.

I knew that the "Fever" montage was made because the single came before the proper video but, the strange thing is that I have lots of specials from 1998 to 2001 from VH-1 and the never aired the official video, they still aired the montage. I understand they used the montage in 1993 before the video was released but in 1998???

I knew that the "Fever" montage was made because the single came before the proper video but, the strange thing is that I have lots of specials from 1998 to 2001 from VH-1 and the never aired the official video, they still aired the montage. I understand they used the montage in 1993 before the video was released but in 1998???

Are you in the uk or Europe? I assume warners never issued it over here as it was too late and they just use what's in the vaults

Are you in the uk or Europe? I assume warners never issued it over here as it was too late and they just use what's in the vaults

I'm from Europe (I live in Spain) but I used to see that channel from 1996 to 2003. I loved it same as MTV. They used to make lots of specials about Madonna for her birthday, her releases...

I just put that down to lazy people at VH-1 UK.

MTV-Euope did get the proper Fever video after it aired in USA (they showed it a bit - but not in heavy rotation) - and VH-1 UK came from the very same building in London when it launched in 1994, owned by the same people with overlap of presenters and staff - so if VH-1 showed the UK Montage video, it was just laziness I am certain.

Many people don't realise - VH-1 UK and MTV-Europe were pretty small, low-budget operations in the 90s. Not in any way comparable to MTV-USA.

I watched the channels here from 1990 onwards and everything was half-random!

All the "video exclusives" back then still went to the national network shows (TOTP or The Chart Show in the UK) and those "satellite / cable" channels back then really had TINY audiences in the big scheme of things.

OK... And I have another question... The video montages like "Angel", "The look of love", "Rescue me" or "One more chance"... Are those oficial from Warner or were just made by the channel?

Angel, for example, was included on the "It's that girl" VHS so I guess it could be considered as a Warner reléase, but, on the other hand, when other channels make an special about Madonna videos they don't air them. Just VH-1 air those videos so my question is... Where just made by the VH-1 people or other channels don't use them because they are not important enough (like for example "Another suitcase in another hall" (I've just seen this one once :()). Or, for example, here in Spain they used a "Girlie show" montage for "One more chance" instead of the montage with here older videos.

OK... And I have another question... The video montages like "Angel", "The look of love", "Rescue me" or "One more chance"... Are those oficial from Warner or were just made by the channel?

Angel, for example, was included on the "It's that girl" VHS so I guess it could be considered as a Warner reléase, but, on the other hand, when other channels make an special about Madonna videos they don't air them. Just VH-1 air those videos so my question is... Where just made by the VH-1 people or other channels don't use them because they are not important enough (like for example "Another suitcase in another hall" (I've just seen this one once :()). Or, for example, here in Spain they used a "Girlie show" montage for "One more chance" instead of the montage with here older videos.

Angel

The Look of Love

Rescue Me

One More Chance

They were all created / comissioned / produced by Warners UK - so they're "official" in that sense. All of those montage videos were initially done primarily for the UK TV music shows (Top of The Pops, The Chart Show, various kids TV shows) which were all *really* important in the 80s and 90s. Madonna wasn't gonna appear on these shows and since she didn't make videos for those singles, the only way the singles weren't gonna be totally ignored on crucial UK TV shows was if Warner UK knocked up something for those channels to show.

They also ended up on Irish TV channels and some of them went further afield too.

The 24-hour music channels (MTV-Europe, VH-1 UK etc.) were a different matter. Although they would have had access to these montage-videos, generally they passed on adding them to their playlists, cos the videos were basically rubbish. But all of those videos you've mentioned did get played from time to time on those channels.

Was digitizing old VHS tapes just last month and amongst stuff I'd recorded was the "premiere" of "Another Suitcase In Another Hall" video from VH-1 UK. Never saw this video much anywhere - but it got the odd airing.

Also you will find that most of these montage videos did pop up on various official Warner UK promo videos:

$_1.JPG

$_1.JPG

$_1.JPG

Angel has two montage videos. German TV did show a different one from her old vodeos with lots of color effects and scenes of a paraglider. I have it taped from TV from the 80s on tape somewhere. Never saw this video on the internet.

I think that Rescue Me has to be the most annoying and disappointing video ever. Not only they didn't use footage from BAT, but the one they used from WTG is so incredibly weird that you can't stand it! Who would decided to use those images?

I think that Rescue Me has to be the most annoying and disappointing video ever. Not only they didn't use footage from BAT, but the one they used from WTG is so incredibly weird that you can't stand it! Who would decided to use those images?

True.

I never saw the video at the time of its release. I saw it years later on VH1 and was shocked. In this case no video would be better.

I grew up with the first versión but I love the second one... I think it's very 80's... and the para glider thing... that's the best part. I'd love to read an interview of the people who made the montage to know what was happening into their heads, hehehehe... very funny :)