Question about The "Dress You Up" Video

Matt

I was wondering for a while if the Video for DYU was released and aired on US MTV as soon as the single was released in July 1985 or was it released later when the single was out in the Fall in the rest of the world?

I wonder because the Virgin Tour video was released in late 85 and DYU is from that concert.

Interesting!

I never knew the release date of the single was July 1985 in America?!

In the UK it was released at the end of the year - exactly the same time that the Virgin Tour home video came out (the DYU single even advertised the VT video on the back of the sleeve).

I am pretty sure the "video" didn't come until the same time as the VT home video (end of 1985) - I own a Warner Bros official EPK tape for the VT Home Video Release - it was issued just before the VT video hit stores and contains:

Madonna Interview (edited version of the Molly Meldrum late 1985 interview)

Dress You Up Video

Virgin Tour TV Ads

It's kinda implied from that EPK, that the DYU video is part of the VT video promotion. But I'm now fascinated to know if MTV in USA showed anything from DYU in the Summer of 1985 when it appears the single was in stores and on radio?!?!

Where's Pud?

And when did they start airing the live LAV music video?

LAV? Are you talking about the 1991 ToD one?

That music-video happened at ToD theatrical release time - the video premiered on MTV during their "Truth or Dare Premiere Parties" 2-hour show, which aired the weekend ToD hit theaters. The video then played on MTV for a bunch of weeks following that.

In Europe, MTV added it a while later - but I first saw the video during the "MTV US Top 20 Countdown" show with Adam Curry, which MTV-Europe aired every week a few days after MTV-USA. I remember being so confused to see LAV Live ToD video in the "MTV US Top 20". I believed this must mean there was a single release in USA and I spent a lot of time trying to find out (via UK collectors stores) how to get my hands on the maxi CD LOL!

Incidentally, the LAV 1991 video has never been officially released to my knowledge. The closest it came to an official release was its inclusion on a 1998 WB promotional VHS tape in New Zealand, which was given away with initial copies of the "Ray of Light" album in that country!!!

Given that it's a beautifully edited exclusive music video, owned by Miramax - it's quite unbelievable that they never included it on the DVD, Blu Ray or even the special edition ToD VHS.

Wasn't a music video of LAV from the VT put out to promote too?

Quite possibly! :-)

Not in Europe - but maybe in America?

In Japan, they put "Like A Virgin" from the Virgin Tour on a 1986 Mitsubishi promo VHS tape for some reason - so maybe it was a video there too?

I was wondering for a while if the Video for DYU was released and aired on US MTV as soon as the single was released in July 1985 or was it released later when the single was out in the Fall in the rest of the world?

I wonder because the Virgin Tour video was released in late 85 and DYU is from that concert.

Desperately Seeking Susan was released in the UK in September 1985 and when I went to see it, the full live DYU video was played along with the Material Girl video before the film came on. DYU wasn't released in the UK until mid-December and the Virgin Tour was released in November.

The footage was edited specifically for the music video. Notice how the editing is different on the VHS release

I've never noticed. How is it different? I know the VHS release as has the blurry ending.

I've never noticed. How is it different? I know the VHS release as has the blurry ending.

It uses a few different shots throughout and has the full intro.

I've always Heard that to promote "The Virgin Tour" VHS they used the live versions of "Like a virgin" and "Gambler" too... At least here in Spain I watched on TV the "Gambler" performance... I don't know about "Like a virgin" but I think it's quite posible.

US MTV/VH1 played LIKE A VIRGIN from VT as a promo video and later INTO THE GROOVE from the Who's That Girl Tour.

That LIKE A VIRGIN Truth or Dare PROMO VIDEO was played on MTV and premiered during the premiere party telecast. It's stunning and literally started my fandom in many ways. My life is before and after I watched this video (not having witnessed Blonde Ambition before).

After this video they released a HOLIDAY Promo video from Truth or Dare that was heavily played on MTV in 1991 and even received a VMA nod for best female video.

If I wasn't so lazy I would start a worship thread for all 4 performance videos (especially LAV from TOD and ITG from WTG, which is also so great!)

Perusing 1985 editions of Billboard online, one finds this:

In the issue corresponding with DYU's third week on the Hot 100, DYU was listed under "Power Rotation" and designated a "Sneak Preview Video" (whatever that means) on MTV. Three weeks later, it was listed under "Heavy Rotation," though with the designation of a "Sneak Preview Recurrent" (again, ?). And then a couple of weeks later, it wasn't listed on MTV's Programming feature.

So, it indeed was out during the single's run.

Here in Australia we got the following to promote live releases:

VT - Over And Over

WTG - Into The Groove

IBWM - Like A Virgin, Holiday

DWT - Holiday

CT - Jump

And no videos were aired for S+S or MDNA

Perusing 1985 editions of Billboard online, one finds this:

In the issue corresponding with DYU's third week on the Hot 100, DYU was listed under "Power Rotation" and designated a "Sneak Preview Video" (whatever that means) on MTV. Three weeks later, it was listed under "Heavy Rotation," though with the designation of a "Sneak Preview Recurrent" (again, ?). And then a couple of weeks later, it wasn't listed on MTV's Programming feature.

So, it indeed was out during the single's run.

Thanks, but how was the video out for the single released when it was not listed in the MTV Programming feature?

Here in Australia we got the following to promote live releases:

VT - Over And Over

WTG - Into The Groove

IBWM - Like A Virgin, Holiday

DWT - Holiday

CT - Jump

And no videos were aired for S+S or MDNA

In the US LAV and Gambler were released. In Germany we got Vogue for MDNA.

Guest Pud Whacker

Where's Pud?

And when did they start airing the live LAV music video?

there were two different edits. i dont recall it being aired as early as july here. but i remember vividly that the australian one Molly Meldrum aired had her walking to the microphone after the stair decent, and she smiled before hitting mark. in the american version, it was not as electrifying. probably because the grass is always greener. i always loved the smile.

not included in american version:

tumblr_lwy60slr4Q1qlycwjo1_400.gif

sloppy gif, i made it in '011.

Now that we're making questions about live videos... What about the "Causing a commotion" one?

I remember that here in Spain you could see the Turin performance from the RAI broadcast but the single was released before that. On Madonna specials they use the "Ciao Italia" version but I've heard that the original video is the Miami performance... Does anybody know which one is the original video?

Edited by scamper

Thanks Pud:))). So DYU did not had a Video to surport the single in the US. Just like I thought. It could have been an even bigger Hit with Video. The LAV era was over pretty quickly in the US but continued till the end of 1985 in Europe.

The Causing A Commotion Video is also interesting. I remember that we (in Germany) had the live Video on a Morning Show in 1987. I don't kknow which one it was but I believe it was not the one from Ciao Italia. Since I did not had MTV it really is hard to tell what was played.

From Bye Bye Baby MTV played the VMA performance ( but not very often) and other channels ( like on Bravo TV) we got the GS one.

Hanky Panky had the BAT one with the album Version audio.

And then there is the biggest Madonna Video Mystery ever. MTV Europe did not play the I'll Remember Video at all in the first few week while it was on the charts. They did not even mentioned the song on the Charts, they just anounced number 8 and after that number 6 and not even mentioned M at number 7. it was ridiculous really. A few weeks later MTV played the song, it was for weeks in the Top 5 on Dial MTV. Why did MTV Europe boycott the Video?

Guest Pud Whacker

No Matt, it had the video. The video was huge here. MTV would play the one with the wannabes in the beginning.

It apparently was out when the single was climbing the charts, but MTV probably didn't play it all the way through its upward chart movement. Not sure what the "Sneak Preview" designation meant back then.

speaking of live videos, VH1 would air ROL from CT quite a lot in their early morning rotation, as well as Jump.

A promotional video for Holiday from DWT was also put out, most remembered on AOL.com. It was a montage video

I use to be pretty big on all these alternate and live music videos from Madonna. I use to run a fansite last decade that contained a video player featuring all the videos and promo videos.

It's interesting to see that after all these years, we still end up getting alternate and promo videos

We had 2 versions of GGW (explicit and edited version) And 2 for GMAYL (one with "touchdown" at the end, and another that says "let's play ball!"

They also put out a live video of Vogue from MDNA on youtube/vevo, and as someone mentioned was also aired on TV

Guest Pud Whacker

It apparently was out when the single was climbing the charts, but MTV probably didn't play it all the way through its upward chart movement. Not sure what the "Sneak Preview" designation meant back then.

The video was huge! Heavy rotation.

Sneak Preview meant MTV had it first. They showed it for two weeks before any other outlet was able to play it.

There's also the alternate version of the Like a Virgin video, without the lion's tongue.