WHAT ABOUT: the 'other' Academy Awards performance

Apples388

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x_Vf6FA8A4

Okay, let's go back to this one please. I feel somehow that it is neglected and forgotten because of the spectacular "Sooner or Later" performance, but really... rather unfair. Let's see:

1. The introduction by Billy Crystal in which he talks about all the hoopla around her not being nominated and the controversy surrounding it.

2. I think this vocal marked the birth of the Madonna live vibrato, no? Well I think so.

3. Proving to all the naysayers (for the billionth time) that she can sing. This one was a bit different because it meant so much more to her and everyone else. It was Madonna doing Andrew Lloyd Weber for fuck's sake.

4. Just beautiful. I loved it. I know some people say it was cheesy or whatever but I think it's probably reason number 49203 why she's so amazing.

I actually prefer this (for the above reasons) to 1991 one.

She really fought the odds and won.

What happened after this (TNBT)? We won't discuss that. :chuckle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x_Vf6FA8A4

Okay, let's go back to this one please. I feel somehow that it is neglected and forgotten because of the spectacular "Sooner or Later" performance, but really... rather unfair. Let's see:

1. The introduction by Billy Crystal in which he talks about all the hoopla around her not being nominated and the controversy surrounding it.

2. I think this vocal marked the birth of the Madonna live vibrato, no? Well I think so.

3. Proving to all the naysayers (for the billionth time) that she can sing. This one was a bit different because it meant so much more to her and everyone else. It was Madonna doing Andrew Lloyd Weber for fuck's sake.

4. Just beautiful. I loved it. I know some people say it was cheesy or whatever but I think it's probably reason number 49203 why she's so amazing.

Agree with everything you said. Plus, I also loved how Billy Crystal called her the "one and only" Madonna.

Also, I often notice how Madonna does not stand around waiting for applause ie the Superbowl. She just walked off the stage with such class and style.

Straisand wasn't a cow, she was angry because she wasn't nominated and she decided not to perform in the Oscars. Celine Dione sang Streisand's song, plus her own song "Because you loved me". People thought that Madona would do the Streisand way, she won the Golden Globe, but wasnt' even nominated. But Madonna passed and simply performed beautifully. So, the cameraman kept on focusing on Barbra, who ended up being the spoiled one.

And yes, this performance is beautiful.

Straisand wasn't a cow, she was angry because she wasn't nominated and she decided not to perform in the Oscars. Celine Dione sang Streisand's song, plus her own song "Because you loved me". People thought that Madona would do the Streisand way, she won the Golden Globe, but wasnt' even nominated. But Madonna passed and simply performed beautifully. So, the cameraman kept on focusing on Barbra, who ended up being the spoiled one.

And yes, this performance is beautiful.

I don't get it. You must Love Me was nominated and won the 1996 Academy Award for Best Original Song. Or you mean Madonna wasn't nominated for Best Actress? So Barbra refused to perform because she wasn't nominated for best actress or something?

I don't get it. You must Love Me was nominated and won the 1996 Academy Award for Best Original Song. Or you mean Madonna wasn't nominated for Best Actress? So Barbra refused to perform because she wasn't nominated for best actress or something?

Yes.

Amazing performance from Madonna, especially since this showcases the "new voice" and her live rendition proved that this was not just some studio trick.

I guess what makes the Sooner or later performance easier to remember is because it's more Iconic Madonna, with the looks, the atittude, etc...

You must love me is something else : absolutely classy, flawless and brilliant.

I love it. But I hate that dress. She looked awful that night. Especially at the after party, guurlll what were u thinking?

I'm sorry, this is absolutely PAINFUL to my ears. She's off-key half the time. I've said it before and no one seemed to agree, and I have no idea why. It's truly one of her worst vocal performances. Yikes.

I'm sorry, this is absolutely PAINFUL to my ears. She's off-key half the time. I've said it before and no one seemed to agree, and I have no idea why. It's truly one of her worst vocal performances. Yikes.

ok, now tell us what you're really feeling please :popcorn2: :popcorn2:

Personally I like this performance.

And to think of she's was snubbed in the Best Actress category...

You MUST love me :(

It may not sound the best, but full of emotion & sadness.

Much better than the album I-must-hit-that-note-no-matter-what version that lacked of emotion.

Please, even A. Loyd Webber said she was brilliant that night!

There are not single off-key note.

Guest PRPapi

Although I do agree that this is a somewhat painful performance to listen to, I don't agree that it's because she's off-key. She's, actually, very much ON-key throughout the whole performance. She also showcased a very good range, as well as good amount of power to her vocal performance.

BUT, I remember seeing this live and still feeling very much pained. Why? Because the whole performance, although earnest, seems very forced. It sounds like she's REEEEEAAALLY trying VERY hard to sing - and she looks that way, too. She's very nervous here and it showed in her voice. Her voice was very shaky and her vibrato was very inconsistent. There were even a couple of subtle cracks in there, as well. All of that conspires to make the listener feel her nervousness and discomfort, too. And, of course, there's the whole, dreaded part: "You MAHST LAHVE Meeeeeeeeeeee." :-/ It just sounded like a very first recital for a newly-coached vocal student who never before knew how to sing. It wasn't good.

The redeeming part came from the second verse and on, where she sounded better than the first half - especially the "scared to confess what I'm feeling," which was the best part of the whole performance. Thank God, however, for her Sticky n Sweet live rendition, which is a MILLION times better than this.

Just my thoughts. :)