Shep Pettibone working on new album (speculation)

^ it only sold 2 million in the US but it sold about 5 million worldwide by the end of '93, when The Girlie Show wrapped up.

An additional 1 million since then.

I don't really care to argue numbers with you, but I know that Erotica was overshadowed by Sex and BOE as well. BUT, when the top sellers at the time

were selling many millions more (because people still bought album back then) It was considered a disappointment. Plus the critics were very hard on the album.

not to mention in 1992, everything was either Grunge, Garth Brooks or that damn Bodyguard Soundtrack.

At this point, I wouldn't put anything past Madonna in terms of pulling tricks out of her hat. I've rarely been able to predict what she's gonna do, and quite frankly I like the

element of surprise from her, still.

Other than what I've read, theres no proof she ever really fell out with Shep. He's never commented publicly on any feud either.

I'm all for it if she wants to go there! Even if he's just remixing singles, I still love his sound.

And I consider Vogue one of the most timelessly of the time dance songs ever.

Maybe they rekindled their relation because of the Vogue lawsuit last year.

William posts a lot on Madonna too. Maybe it's just that her past collaborators are fanboys like us and miss her. Must be hard to hear and read people bash someone you worked with so closely and know exactly what this person is worth especially when the comments are made by people who have no idea of what they are talking about. It's something Nile Rodgers and Mirwais have in common with them too. they always bring up how frustrated they feel when they hear what pople say about Madonna's talent.

I think that says everything.

It's amazing how supportive, and even downright defensive, M's past collaborators have often been when they see her attacked for things...especially her talent/songwriting/etc.

If she didn't have these things as the media and the public love to believe...they wouldn't say a thing. Collect their checks and move on. But they don't.

I mean...do you see Britney/Rihanna/and company's producers and writers saying the same about them...

Madryan, You are correct. It feels so strange saying it now but at the time Erotica was considered a flop by Madonna standards. That was of course also due to the dreaded "back-lash" that we as fans had to go through at that time. Today of course Erotica is considered a masterpiece as it should be. So many great songs, videos and images from that era. I think the fact that Erotica is now thought of so highly is testament to Madonna herself. She still delivered the goods even if it took a while for some people to cotton on to that.

I mostly remember the other Madonna fans jumping ship until she "repented" with Bedtime Stories! LOL

As I've said before Erotica is MDNA's younger, brattier and more clever little sister. :-)

I think Shep brought out a vulnerable side lyrically, (and next to Steve Bray) the best bridges pop songs could offer.

Guest bluejean

The difference between Madonna and Daft Punk is not that big. There are as much artists/performers/musicians themselves as any other artist...or Random Access Memories would simply be a Pharrel album. They are front and center.

They create their own sound and have always done. They are music producers. Madonna is a pop star/singer despite her involvement in production her sound is mainly created by other producers. They're very very different. It's like saying Mirwais and Madonna are the same type of artist.

They create their own sound and have always done. They are music producers. Madonna is a pop star/singer despite her involvement in production her sound is mainly created by other producers. They're very very different. It's like saying Mirwais and Madonna are the same type of artist.

Edit: I stand corrected. They did release solo work.

Secondly, I never said Madonna and Daft Punk were the same type of artist. Of course not. What I was saying was that as much as DP are producers...they are also "artists" in their own right, putting themselves out there as the act (not just the producers 'behind the curtain' in the studio.) Producer/solo artist vs. solo artist...that really has no bearing on my point that a little old-school can still work as something new...

Anyways, my original point had nothing to do with comparing Madonna and Daft Punk. It was using Daft Punk (and Nile Rodgers) as an example of how "old-school" can become "new-school" - fresh and current ... and commercially successful - if done right. That's all.

No. It's not like saying Mirwais and Madonna are the same type of artist. First of all, unless I'm mistaken, Mirwais doesn't release his own albums, putting himself front and center. Daft Punk do. Yes, they are producers/writers...but they put themselves out there as artists themselves, with work done in their name, with them front and center-as the 'act'. Not the same as Mirwais, Orbit, etc. (unless I'm unaware of them releasing their own 'solo' work). Secondly, I never said Madonna and Daft Punk were the same type of artist. Of course not. What I was saying was that as much as DP are producers...they are also "artists" in their own right, putting themselves out there as the act (not just the producers 'behind the curtain' in the studio.)

Anyways, my original point had nothing to do with comparing Madonna and Daft Punk. It was using Daft Punk as an example of how "old-school" can become "new-school" - fresh and current ... and commercially successful - if done right. That's all.

Uhm, are you for real, child?? Mirwais and William orbit are both "artists" who both have albums putting themselves out front any centre. Sweet Jesus...

Shep was furious with Madonna for deciding to go in a different direction for BS after they had already started working on it. However, he was also doing dodgy things with Tony Shimkin by not giving him proper credit for his contributions to pretty much everything Shep submitted to Madonna (Tony acknowledged that Madonna wasn't aware that this was the case, and he was too young and naive to realise that he should have been credited for everything, not just one song). As it stands, Madonna only holds a 5% stake in "Love Won't Wait" due to a deal that she made with Shep (kind of like, "I'm sorry I didn't use any of these songs we wrote together - as compensation, you can have a 95% publishers' credit for them, OK?"), and she gave him a tiny credit in "Secret" to shut him up (Tony Shimkin doesn't feel that Shep deserved this).

It's nice to see him publicly praising her. I very much doubt they'll work together again, though. If she's going to revisit anyone, it will be Pat Leonard in a songwriting capacity (a la "Frozen" etc.). Having said that, it would be great to see her work with Stuart Price again. Isn't it slightly ironic that the sound she and Pharrell produced six years ago is now everywhere and Pharrell is the current Timbaland?! Once again, Madonna was ahead of the times.... :thumbs:

Uhm, are you for real, child?? Mirwais and William orbit are both "artists" who both have albums putting themselves out front any centre. Sweet Jesus...

Try a god damn search on iTunes for starters...

Oh ok. Then I'm wrong. Like I said... I wasn't personally aware because I don't follow them and their work as much as some here probably do... that's why I said in my post "correct me if I'm wrong". I stand corrected. I made a stupid assumption. People make mistakes. I'll do that "god damn search" on itunes now, thanks...

Anyway, my original point was never about debating whatever between Madonna and DP. It was about saying that just because some folks aren't considered 'the next best new thing at the moment', doesn't mean they can't do great work that is commercially successful today...hence why I used DP/Nile Rodgers/etc. as examples. If she wants to work with older collaborators, cool. No reason why they couldn't make something new and fresh.

Guest bluejean

Edit: I stand corrected. They did release solo work.

Secondly, I never said Madonna and Daft Punk were the same type of artist. Of course not. What I was saying was that as much as DP are producers...they are also "artists" in their own right, putting themselves out there as the act (not just the producers 'behind the curtain' in the studio.) Producer/solo artist vs. solo artist...that really has no bearing on my point that a little old-school can still work as something new...

Anyways, my original point had nothing to do with comparing Madonna and Daft Punk. It was using Daft Punk (and Nile Rodgers) as an example of how "old-school" can become "new-school" - fresh and current ... and commercially successful - if done right. That's all.

Well it's a fair point. My opinion is that Madonna doing old school isn't likely to work. Especially not if it's redoing sounds she's already done. But.... If Shep made a comeback I suppose it's quite likely he'll be doing something with a more current sound. So maybe it could work. I don't know until I hear it actually. All I said was that the idea doesn't particularly appeal to me. But I'm always open to being surprised.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

^ he hasn't worked since 1994 but still remembers the time in facebook pages?

Why hasn't he worked since then? Even if he wasn't hot surely he could still carried on in the music biz?

Why hasn't he worked since then? Even if he wasn't hot surely he could still carried on in the music biz?

Agreed. It all seemed/seems very suspicious.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe he got really rich and said "ok, i can keep on working or buy myself an island to live and enjoy".

I would have bought an island to grow my garden and entertain friends. Sip wine watching sunset and having those royalties come every year.

I'm so Dannii...

The music business is ruthless. When you're "out" you're out and I'm sure he knew he had peaked. After Madonna decided to move on, I'm sure he just said fuck it. I do think it's weird that if someone really loves what they do they wouldn't at least continue in an underground way, but to each his own.