Madonna's most overrated album?

horn

Actually, this whole thread is shit! How can anyone of us dare to hate on an album...I mean we are Madonna fans. We all have songs on each album that we love and admire and songs we don't like as much. Who are we to decide that an album is overrated? What is our criteria? What is everyone's criteria, tbh? Actually every Madonna album is underrated. They were all essential for pop history up until MDNA, which is still a great album with less impact than her previous albums and still a lot of people nowadays pay Madonna dust. As if she never existed, or only existed in the eighties, eventhough she's been more relevant than anyone, even throughout the nineties and the millenium.

MADONNA is Madonna's first album and slays basically everyone of the recent Pop Princess' debuts. So many iconic songs and videos. This album truly shaped the eighties.

LIKE A VIRGIN is probably not as strong as MADONNA, but had an amazing impact on pop history and many iconic songs on it, nobody can ignore.

TRUE BLUE has probably Madonna's strongest singles of her career united one album and represents a drastical change of style in Madonna's life.

LIKE A PRAYER is shred to pieces in here for being her most overrated, but if you compare this album to her previous you can see there was an extreme change for Madonna as an artist throughout this era. Madonna revealed a completely different side of hers and this album is iconic. And to those who say Erotica is underrated, because Madonna rarely performs songs from that album you should take a look at LAP. The title track and EY are the only songs from this album that have been performed recently. LAP was performed for the second time in 2004. That is almost 15 years after it's first tour performance. The title track is the only song that has been played quite frequently in the past few years.

EROTICA at the time of it's release was something that really wasn't like anything other artists were doing at that time. Madonna really stood out compared to her fellow performers and was always the center of attention. I think people were a little disappointed at the time of it's release because it wasn't what they erxpected and now, 20 years later it gets the recognition it deserves. I personally don't like it that much but I can see why people think this was one of her most artistic and I still think it's one of the best albums of all time, just like every other Madonna album.

BEDTIME STORIES might be often overlooked as it was released between two of Madonna's most iconic eras and not being performed on tour did not help it's popularity. The album itself probably features some of Madonna's finest produced and well-written songs and the whole aura this album surrounds is just something that one cannot deny. It has something very special to it, and to me it's one of Madonna's most interesting albums.

RAY OF LIGHT is another album that has been named a lot in here. While this album received critical acclaim and probably is one of Madonna's most beloved ones, it might not be something for everyone. It's very experimental and not everyone's kind of music. This album is probably Madonna's debut as a completely new artist. Ray of Light is the Madonna that is now. It was her rebirth and her reclaiming the pop throne. No other artist, except maybe Cher can say that they managed to revive their career in a way Madonna did during the RoL-era.

MUSIC is kind of like the new-age LAV or BS. It's a really good album that was released after a majorly succesful one and is kind of a mixture between AL and ROL. Again this album is often forgotten cause the era was cut short and only had three singles with only two of them being hits. It's very diverse and it becomes clear Madonna really wasn't sure what direction to go into, but as an album it somehow works and still manages to sound cohesive.

AMERICAN LIFE is probably her most hated album today and considered her first real flop. AL in my opinion is another ROL. She did something completely different than anybody else and something that was completely different from what she's done before. Music might have foreshadowed it a little bit but I think AL is a really great album, artistically. It's way ahead of it's time and I think 20 years later, her fans will come to appreciate this as much as Erotica is appreciated now.

CONFESSIONS ON A DANCE FLOOR is probably her most critically acclaimed "new" Madonna album after RoL. I think this album is basically Madonna reviving and re-inventing her old self, reflecting on her past etc. She's actually remaking some of her old songs (Love Song, Keep It Together, Borderline) and puts a new twist on them. This album is lyrically and musically one of Madonna's finest moments, and again deserves every bit of praise it gets.

HARD CANDY another very polarizing album that seems to be more of grower. It's vocally probably not up there, but still produced a lot of really really great and iconic songs. It's funky and edgy and in my opinion, was another risky step for Madonna that she managed to handle nicely.

MDNA acclaimed by critics, adored by many fans, not handled nicely in terms of promotion. We all know what the main issue this era was but this doesn't change the fact that this album was still a great effort on Madonna's part. It might seem a little rushed, here and there, but again produced many amazing Madonna songs that are probably way up there with some of her greatest tracks!

EVERY MADONNA ALBUM IS UNDERRATED. EVERY MADONNA ALBUM DESERVES EVERY BIT OF PRAISE IT GETS! Every album represents a phase Madonna was going through in her life and show her becoming more and more mature over the years, gaining experience. There is no such thing as OVERRATED Madonna albums, cause they're all great!

Guest Not4Pussies

I've never cared For Confessions. Hard Candy was such a breath of fresh Madonna air after Kaballah on the Dancefloor

haha that's how i describe it

And 4 songs on COADF? What? I think it's slightly overrated, but there's nothing sleepy or dreary about it. Not sure what your definition of "dancey" is, but what you just described is ROL, with literally 4 uptempo songs: ROL, NRM, Skin, and SFH.

I never implied that ROL was dancey. It's very moody & atmospheric as the singles indicate, COADF on the other hand (which had 'dance' in the title) threw me for a loop when I heard it in full and realized she was NOT giving what was advertised; I expected dancey disco fluff, which I love, but I got trancey cold electro. Sonically, it isn't an album geared towards my tastes. Get Together is the obvious shining gem tho.

As for LAP, no jamz detected :fag:

Movies in the late-80's and early-90's had dual soundtracks. One for pop radio. The other orchestral.

Really? You DON'T want to start this conversation again. But let's settle this for good, shall we?

THIS is the Dick Tracy soundtrack:

Dick_Tracy_soundtrack.jpg

It's the original soundtrack, including all of the songs from the film EXCEPT Madonna's three songs, which were included on Madonna's album, I'm Breathless, which included songs "from and inspired by" the movie. Plus "Vogue," because why the hell not? She's Madonna. She could do whatever the fuck she wanted.

THIS is the Dick Tracy score:

Dick_Tracy_orchestral_score.jpg

This was Danny Elfman's score from the film. Just the instrumental music he wrote for the movie. Simple.

THIS is I'm Breathless:

220px-I%27mBreathless.jpg

Notice that "soundtrack" is nowhere to be found in the title or on the cover. Because it's not a soundtrack. A "soundtrack" includes songs from a film. The majority of the songs on this album were not featured in the film. It's a companion studio album, a concept album "inspired by" the film. It lives in a nebulous gray area where only Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, Mariah Carey's Glitter album, compassionate Republicans, and lipstick lesbians reside. It's not a soundtrack. It's not a regular studio album. It's a special little album that only a brilliant artist like Madonna could deliver to her fans. Now stop trying to fit it into a box and label it, and just enjoy it!

I never implied that ROL was dancey. It's very moody & atmospheric as the singles indicate, COADF on the other hand (which had 'dance' in the title) threw me for a loop when I heard it in full and realized she was NOT giving what was advertised; I expected dancey disco fluff, which I love, but I got trancey cold electro. Sonically, it isn't an album geared towards my tastes. Get Together is the obvious shining gem tho.

As for LAP, no jamz detected :fag:

I feel you. I think HC has much more of the "disco" sound you probably like. However, just because you define "dance" a certain way doesn't mean that "tracey cold electro" isn't "dance" music. The title wasn't "Confession on a Disco Dance Floor." She took classic 70s and 80s disco influences and incorporated them into Stuart's more modern, European dance sound. Do I think it lacks warmth? Yes. But it's a straight hour of dance music that you can dance to. So you can say it's cold and not "disco fluff," but that doesn't mean it's not dance music!

As for "lethargic"...

a58b68.gif

Lethargic in the sense that the 'flow' of the album is a bit sluggish... Especially for a dance record. I don't dislike it, but I never find myself ACTUALLY dancing to it; it's more of a lyrical/ preachy record to me.

There are hi & low points on ROL; ballads, mid tempo tracks, punctuated by faster songs (the transition from Swim to Ray of Light for example). The album goes places. COADF sounds very one-note to me, like a really long, continous DJ set (which I'm sure was intended).

...But yall don't hear me though.

madonna-birthday-11(1).gif

like a prayer, ONLY because of dear jessis, spanish eyes(sorry i know most of yous love it) and love song. everything else, flawless

and thats ONLY because i had to pick one, i think her cd's are pretty much flawless(except songs i just mentioned]

Confessions is too overrated for my liking. I find the middle but from Future Lovers to Jump extremely tedious. And Isaac is shit too. It sounds too 'samey' to me. I don't hate it but it doesn't deserve all the love it gets

like a prayer, ONLY because of dear jessis, spanish eyes(sorry i know most of yous love it) and love song. everything else, flawless

and thats ONLY because i had to pick one, i think her cd's are pretty much flawless(except songs i just mentioned]

Dear Jessie is the best song on LAP album.

^ Probably (and this is my reason) because she never before (or since) got so personal and vulnerable about her mother ("Promise to Try"), her father and self-esteem ("Oh Father"), abuse ("Till Death Do Us Part"), and her family ("Keep It Together"). Her vocals aren't perfect, but they're some of her most emotional and rich. It also features one of the greatest pop songs of all time ("Like a Prayer") and one of Madonna's more enduring anthems for women/gays/self-empowerment ("Express Yourself"). It's also musically daring ("Love Song," "Act of Contrition," even LAP), and features lots of R&B/rock/folk musical references (Sly Stone, the Association, Simon and Garfunkel). Prior to ROL, it was the album non-fans could really get behind because it wasn't a frivolous pop album. It was musically interesting and showed that Madonna was more than just your average pop singer.

^ Probably (and this is my reason) because she never before (or since) got so personal and vulnerable about her mother ("Promise to Try"), her father and self-esteem ("Oh Father"), abuse ("Till Death Do Us Part"), and her family ("Keep It Together"). Her vocals aren't perfect, but they're some of her most emotional and rich. It also features one of the greatest pop songs of all time ("Like a Prayer") and one of Madonna's more enduring anthems for women/gays/self-empowerment ("Express Yourself"). It's also musically daring ("Love Song," "Act of Contrition," even LAP), and features lots of R&B/rock/folk musical references (Sly Stone, the Association, Simon and Garfunkel). Prior to ROL, it was the album non-fans could really get behind because it wasn't a frivolous pop album. It was musically interesting and showed that Madonna was more than just your average pop singer.

Vocalism, agree with so much of what you are saying here. Also add one of the most joyous romantic songs ever - Cherish - and bingo.

I actually love all of Madonna's albums and can't think of one as being over-rated.