Is Ruby Wax traumatized by Madonna? insurance seminar LOL!

acko

"...excuse me, whats ur name? Jean-Pierre? Jean-Pierre DON'T SHOOT ME from over there." -MADONNA. :rotfl:

I always thought the interview was funny. Whats her issue? That a lot of people were around? Don't be mad that Madge made you look dumb, Ruby. Take control of your interview or roll with the punches, gurl.

I actually adore that interview she did with M. Madonna seemed pretty open. I mean yeah, she was a bit controlling about the camera angles and how she would be seen on camera, but that's what comes with the package. It's not the first time the camera has captured that side of Madonna. Big whoop Rub. By the end of the interview, M had let much of her guard down and was free to discuss whatever.

Rub needs to review the footage again.

It thought it was such a fun and light hearted interview so I was a little surprised to read later that Ruby said Madonna was one of her worst subjects.

And I also remembered that she said Madonna surrounded herself with Yes people who sucked up to her . " Oh did you hear what M say? Oh M say this. Oh M say that ."

It was weird cos I thought they were having so much fun !

• 7 months later...

Interviewing Madonna would be a very daunting experience for anyone. I love Ruby, I've seen in other interviews inparticular the first Oprah interview and the Jane Pauley interview were Madonna does come off as very cold.

I agree that this is very surprising. I love the casual atmosphere of this interview. Madonna was extremely vain and concerned with how she looked, but I thought Ruby was funny and they had a great rapport. Ruby's first question was kind of jumbled, but I totally got what she was asking. It was obvious she was trying to be "friends" with Madonna, which was admirable. She wasn't trying to kiss her ass and I think M might have been surprised by that, but I'm sure she respected it.

I do have to say, though, that I don't think M thought "she is Princess Diana." She was just making a point about how ruthless the UK press is. I also don't buy for a second that there were "25 people" around the bed. Maybe 10, but that's par for the course when you're interviewing a superstar. The idea that she could have stopped Madonna from directing the camera angles is absurd. Now THAT would have been a surefire way to ruin the interview. "Let her hang herself"? What an idiot.

She's a bit neurotic and had no idea what she was talking about for the most part. First off the Princess Diana part, what a goof ball. Can she not make the reference of the phones being bugged and the behaivor of the press as kind of like what she was talking about??? :rolleyes: I LOVED Diana, the person. This woman's "let us mere mortals never think that we can relate in any way to Princess Diana, or having a problem with Madonna who actually does experience that kind of intrusion relating to her is ridiculous and seems to go against her beliefs. We all have equal worth as human beings but our experiences are not the same. Madonna has every right to question how her privacy will be affected based on her experiences and the experiences of others whose privacy has been invaded. What doesn't she get?

Apparantly Ruby's advice is to be condescending but believable to "get that sale or grab that person's attention." I guess Princess Diana would be "allowed" in her book to think well of herself or relate to someone else because of her "sainthood?" Give me a break. It's that kind of attitude that leads to the kind of behaivor Madonna was trying to talk about.

She's talking about insurance now? I'm not sure what she was doing when she interviewed Madonna. Is it safe to say that Madonna would know a little more about how the interview of a pop star should be set up?

I know enough about interviewing to know that when you interview someone it is your job to make that person feel comfortable. Better advice to the crowd would to be genuine with people. If she thinks that people have to be led to believe well of themselves than she shouldn't be working with people. If the interview didn't go well it's because she has an attitude to begin with that causes her to completely miss what people are trying to say. Since she seems like she categorizes people. Does it really matter what the person she's interviewing has to say? She probaly already has her mind made up about them. If she interviewed me knowing what I know now I'd be disinterested and bored that possibly a genuine exchange is not happening.

People who like her seem to be confused with her issue with the interview. I'm not confused by her issue but by how she thinks. She's basically saying I didn't kiss ass enough, which is disrespectful to Madonna and really bad advice to the crowd.

If you are going to say something nice to someone you should mean it and intuitive people can tell if you don't. If their sun sign is Leo they most likely will humour the faux praise but they will know. :)

I'm not even sure what I saw to be honest with you. Lol Why was this brought up again?

I do love Ruby - she is neurotic and great fun. And very interesting too in the way she blends mental health issues with comedy! It's good that she can critique herself in this way but the truth of the matter was the interview was GREAT FUN! I loved it...especially when it got to the end with her wearing M's knickers on her head whispering "Eroticaaaahhh"! Hilarious! It seems she is just using this interview with one of her most prolific guests to draw the attention of those insurance brokers. Gotta make that money!

I do think Ruby was unusually aggressive. Digging through Madonna's purse and putting on her underwear is NOT the sign of someone who was nervous or intimidated. It sounds like she's just making excuses for the fact that she wasn't able to make Madonna feel comfortable and let her guard down. Madonna is always open and honest in interviews, as she was here, but you could tell she was insecure and feeling self-conscious about her looks, etc.

I don't think its pathetic. She is being very critical of herself here and how she handled it. It takes a big person to admit their faults and they were wrong, particularly at one of the biggest moments of her career.

i dont care about rubby....i like her interviews and it would be stupid of me to think madonna is easy to open or to work with or that she doesent have after so many years on top some controling issues or whatever...its normal.

BUT

can anyone explane me this thing with madonna face????? i was always curious beacouse it didnt apear only in this intervirew but few more times i understood that she knows whoch side looks better and so on..

i m curious....i need theory and i need pic exaples if there is anyone

wow...I always wondered 'where is she now' ....how sad to continue to use Madonna interview from 1994 to gain credibility...

wow...I always wondered 'where is she now' ....how sad to continue to use Madonna interview from 1994 to gain credibility...

I just don't see it like this. She is talking to a corporate audience about where she went wrong and how she did not handle the situation. She is definitely not using it to gain credibility.

In her defence there is a lot of money to be made at corporate gigs. Many comics and TV presenters work in this markets. She had a show at the Edinburgh Festival in recent years which got great reviews.

I don't think its pathetic. She is being very critical of herself here and how she handled it. It takes a big person to admit their faults and they were wrong, particularly at one of the biggest moments of her career.

She's being critical of herself while at the same time implying that Madonna isn't likeable (she failed to find something to like), that Madonna has delusions of grandeur, and compared it to interviewing OJ Simpson.

She's being critical of herself while at the same time implying that Madonna isn't likeable (she failed to find something to like), that Madonna has delusions of grandeur, and compared it to interviewing OJ Simpson.

I don't see that as an insult. Most major stars can be unlikeable at points. M has had interviews where she has come across as a bitch and unlikeable, and interviewers have said such. Others have reported the opposite.

Yes, Madonna can be a cunt. You're missing the point.

We can agree to disagree. I like Ruby, I love Madonna. I never did think a meet between them would go well.

what is funny is that she actually thinks she could have done better or taken control over a conversation with Madonna...shes madonna, you just have to ride that wave and make sure its not too hot in the room.

she didnt do a bad job in the first place...she even asks the audience after showing the clip 'see where i went wrong?'...the audience is like 'ummm...no....'

she could have used other interviews but she chose the biggest celebrity, giving credence to her credibility as interviewer who once landed big names. she also discusses madonna as if madonna is some elusive wild animal 'i shouldn't have looked into its eyes...its smelled my fear'

what is funny is that she actually thinks she could have done better or taken control over a conversation with Madonna...shes madonna, you just have to ride that wave and make sure its not too hot in the room.

she didnt do a bad job in the first place...she even asks the audience after showing the clip 'see where i went wrong?'...the audience is like 'ummm...no....'

she could have used other interviews but she chose the biggest celebrity, giving credence to her credibility as interviewer who once landed big names. she also discusses madonna as if madonna is some elusive wild animal 'i shouldn't have looked into its eyes...its smelled my fear'

She obviously thinks she could have handled it better, and it bothers her. A good interviewer can lead and control the conversation, and take it in a particular direction, Ruby did not do that.

She obviously thinks she could have handled it better, and it bothers her. A good interviewer can lead and control the conversation, and take it in a particular direction, Ruby did not do that.

Shes not Barbra Walters, shes a comedienne ...they were in a bed the whole time...and it was a cute interview...madonna was actually pretty relaxed imo

And that's what this conversation is about. It just seems very strange, I mean, we're not Ruby Wax, so we can't relate or understand to how she was feeling during the taping of that interview. But when watching all the vids, it's like she was psychologically hurt from talking to Madonna. And it's all just a big ol' "huh?" Cause the interview was very fun, she wasn't afraid to ask questions about aging and relationships, and Madonna wasn't afraid to answer them. Madonna kinda let her guard down and had fun during it too, which rarely everrrrrr happens.

And that's what this conversation is about. It just seems very strange, I mean, we're not Ruby Wax, so we can't relate or understand to how she was feeling during the taping of that interview. But when watching all the vids, it's like she was psychologically hurt from talking to Madonna. And it's all just a big ol' "huh?" Cause the interview was very fun, she wasn't afraid to ask questions about aging and relationships, and Madonna wasn't afraid to answer them. Madonna kinda let her guard down and had fun during it too, which rarely everrrrrr happens.

Ruby has had well documented issues with mental health, so we may never really understand why she feels the way she feels. It might be that she felt this was her big chance to join the A list of interviewers and she blew it. She has however done some great interviews.