Is Music (the album) underrated?

madonnasuperfan01

Guest sambassile

I think it's a solid album, definitely top five for me.

It's hard to look at any of Madonna's albums as overrated or underrated because even her lowest selling album still sold quite well and most of her albums are well received critically.

In terms of remembrance though, Music sure isn't as raved on about as Like a Prayer or Ray of Light nowadays but this happens to almost every artist, Pink Floyd are remembered for The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon, David Bowie for Ziggy Stardust and Low, and Madonna for Like a Prayer and Ray of Light. Sure those artists all released other amazing albums, but it seems that these days albums aren't only remembered for the music but for how culturally pertinent they were too. If Like a Prayer was released and wasn't a hit, and didn't have the Blond Ambition tour to accompany it, would it still be remembered as one of the greatest pop albums of all time? who knows but those things sure did help it.

But was Like a Prayer really that good? I mean what was so amazing about it? Never understood the rave reviews. Yes it is a good pop record but nothing groundbreaking. Love Song is probably the most borin song Madonna has ever recorded. Live to Tell and La Isla B are better than anythin on LAP.

Edited by sambassile

Guest SecretGarden

But was Like a Prayer really that good? I mean what was so amazing about it? Never understood the rave reviews. Yes it is a good pop record but nothing groundbreaking. Love Song is probably the most borin song Madonna has ever recorded. Live to Tell and La Isla B are better than anythin on LAP.

I think a lot of it had to due with the fact that Like a Prayer dealt with issues (Religion, AIDS, Homosexuality etc) that were in the zeitgeist at the time; and also because Madonna was at her most culturally relevant, e.g. the Like a Prayer and JML video controversies, the Blond Ambition Tour etc it's no wonder why that whole period is one of Madonna's most remembered among the general public.

I personally consider it a great album, with beautiful organic instruments and containing one of the greatest pop songs of all time with the title track but as a personal preference albums like Erotica and Music resonate with me more.

Think that Music is definitely one of Madonna's most dynamic, and interesting albums/era, but I guess it depends on one's personal taste. Agree that some of the other songs that were recorded during this time period are amazing--- Time Stood Still, Liquid Love, and Cyberraga!

P.S. Some of the official DJ remixes of Music and What It Feels Like were awesome as well.

Guest Borderline

Isn't it getting to be about that time where we all agonize about trying to list our favourite albums in preferential order?

I worship this album.

W-O-R-S-H-I-P

I understand that Madonna likes to move on, but I would love for her to work with Mirwais for 1 or 2 tracks again IF and before she decides to stop releasing music. She turns his work into magic (like everyone she works with).

This was such a special time to be a fan and also it was great to experience the era and everything that came with it, videos, a tour, TV and print interviews etc. She was very, very popular at the time and the record moved 4 million copies in something like 4 weeks. The tour sold out everywhere, she was showered with awards and we got those two amazing mini concerts at Brixton and Roseland. 9 million people tuned in to watch the Brixton gig, a record at the time. She was riding the crest of a wave of critical acclaim and her popularity peaked again, much like it did in 1990.

The album itself felt so fresh and new to me and Inpressive Instant was easily my favorite track on the record, followed closely by the stomping Runaway Lover and the melancholic WIFLFAG which was easily her best ballad since the mid 90's. The only negatives for me are that it could have used a few more clubbier tracks towards

the end and we missed out on the Sasha collab. She could have easily made it a 15 track album. I was pissed that there weren't more singles and even more pissed that Impressive Instant didn't get a release, at least we got an amazing performance.

I never did like Gone or Nobody's Perfect, they are a bit boring for me, but I loved Amazing and the funky as hell Don't Tell Me. The record

sounds great played really loud on big speakers. As someone else mentioned, Music reminds me of MDNA as it does sound like a non cohesive album of tracks that stand on their own and don't always flow into each other or have a consistent theme or sound. It's still an absolutely fantastic record, not her best but it's up there.

Music suffered the same fate as BS, it's stuck in between a huge album (ROL) and a controversial/flop album (AL and in the case of BS, Erotica). Both Music and BS are great albums with a 1 and top 5 hit each. Unfortunately when looking bak at that time period between 98 and '03, poor Music gets lost in the shuffle.

The whole song are different loops playing backwards. The drums, the guitar...everything.....the loops are continuously being played backwards.

My husband showed me how to do it on his keyboards.

Everything is backwards except Madonna's singing and Charlotte Gainsbourg's speaking part.

The whole song are different loops playing backwards. The drums, the guitar...everything.....the loops are continuously being played backwards.

Everything is backwards except Madonna's singing and Charlotte Gainsbourg's speaking part.

thanks for this!

Please i never understood the hate for American Pie. The song the best track on Music, alongside Paradise. It just gives me chills, and yes her vocals are breathtakingly beautiful indeed, very melancholic. And let us not forget it was a huge hit everywhere and she looked extra hot in the video.

In my opinion American Pie, Time Stood Still, Be Careful (solo) and Liquid Love (demo) are some of the best tracks she has ever recorded during that period. I am a huge fan of the Music album but i wish she added those tracks to it or continued in that direction rather than going folkish. I donno personally I am huge fan of William Orbit's work, he creates magic with Madonna.

i agree 100 percent. not fan of mirwais. Orbit has always been her better match. The best songs on MDNA were the Orbit produced.

i also think that as an album it hardly compares to ROL or COADF, but it had bombastic songs: LAP, Express Yourself, Cherish were all absolutely amazing. I love some of the ballads: Oh Father, Spanish Eyes... Is Till Death Do Us Part a ballad? Its a great song too. But I agree Love Song? What were they thinking? They were the hottest thing and they came up with this? I guess it was like a sick joke :).

The album sold a lot and it's a favourite among fans. How can it be underrated? The question would be if it was a bit overrated: i don't agree with all the praise, some songs i skip. But of course the good ones are VERY VERY VERY good ones: Music, Impressive Instant, Gone, What it Feels... Paradise, Don't Tell Me.

For me Runaway Lover, I Deserve It (cute but that's all) and Nobody's Perfect are fillers.

(please, don't hate me, hahahaha).

Yes, the song is great. And has anybody ever played it correctly? how does it sound????

Besides my sentimental attachment to this album, it's up there with Bedtime Stories as having the fewest songs that I actually like. I hate saying that, but it's true...

Really, the only songs on Music that I love are the title track and Nobody's Perfect. Don't Tell Me was good, but only the first half. I think it really, really needed an additional chorus toward the end. I don't get all the hype for Impressive Instant. Runaway Lover, Amazing, and I Deserve It are kinda bland. Paradise and What It Feels Like For A Girl are good, but not great... And I thought I loved Gone at the time, but it's kinda boring now. The WIFLFAG video mix, however... :wow:

I enjoyed its follow up, American Life, much more. And, in comparison to its predecessor, ROL, it shows a lack of effort.

Sorry :(

Guest sambassile

Wow i forgot how amazing Runaway Lover is! Please that tune is sick ! Why on earth wasn't it released as a single? It's fuckin AMAZING!!! I need to listen to it again when i'm high on drugs :laugh:

Wow i forgot how amazing Runaway Lover is! Please that tune is sick ! Why on earth wasn't it released as a single? It's fuckin AMAZING!!! I need to listen to it again when i'm high on drugs :laugh:

:huh: Even Cyberraga is more singleworthy than this. :laugh:

Music the album was neither overrated nor underrated. It received the critical success and sales it deserved!!! And I managed to snare a belt buckle copy upon it's day of release, though come to think of it, I should have purchased all 4 colours, idiot!

If you want to talk underrated, let's talk Im Breathless.

If you want to talk overrated, let's talk ROL.