Is Music (the album) underrated?

madonnasuperfan01

Music was good but the orbit trash ruined it completely. William orbit is god awful.

So 20% of his effort ruined the other 80% of the album for your?

I would consider looking for a doctor, or a new one...

Guest Rachelle of London

my two least fave songs on the album are the Orbit ones, but thats only because I adore Mirwais and his production! Amazing and RL are still amazing tracks imo

it was a bit of a flop in USA though..

LOL! Yeah, if you matched it up to the sales from her previous two albums that sold 2 to 5 million more. Therefore with that logic, her debut album and RAY OF LIGHT is a FLOP as well in the U.S since they sold just merely 5 million copies in the U.S. :electropop:

Over time, it does seem to have lost some of that initial reverence that it had the first few years. For me, it does have a number of strong songs, but as an album it doers fall a tad short of stuff like LAP and ROL.

I actually really like Amazing. Runaway Lover I have always loved ever since I was 10 and listened to the entire album in store at The Wall. Gone (i'll consider that an Orbit track), is one of the greatest songs of her career.

Music was good but the orbit trash ruined it completely. William orbit is god awful.

I don't think the Orbit tracks were bad, but they were kind of a rehash of what they had done before. I actually like them better than the Orbit tracks on MDNA. But I don't think she should work with Orbit again. I think the partnership is kind of played out.

I don't think the Orbit tracks were bad, but they were kind of a rehash of what they had done before. I actually like them better than the Orbit tracks on MDNA. But I don't think she should work with Orbit again. I think the partnership is kind of played out.

agreed. they were really good for sure. but compared to the artistry of the other Music tracks they looked like trashy fillers. she needed to keep just with mirwais and her lesson was learned. if is wasn't for the awkward mistakes of Music, we would never have the perfect AL album that was born after.

Funny for me to find this thread...

I was at my brother's house last night and I was looking through his CDs. The first place I looked was at his Madonna collection. (Of course) He had Madonna, LAV, TB, LAP, ROL TIC, STR, BS and ROL....

I said to him, "You don't have "Music"??? He said he hadn't heard of it. I was highly embarrassed that I was his sister - LOL.

I told him that it's probably her best album EVER, and that I was going to buy it for him. He was none-the-wiser about it.

Now, he likes Madonna but he's not as crazy about her as I am. But why (and how) did he miss "Music" ??????

I actually really like Amazing. Runaway Lover I have always loved ever since I was 10 and listened to the entire album in store at The Wall. Gone (i'll consider that an Orbit track), is one of the greatest songs of her career.

Once again, I agree! I LOVE Gone. It's so emotional.

So I actually agree with much of what you posted here, but regarding WIFLFAG, you do know the banning of the video was a huge set up to generate sales for the single video? Madonna and her camp suggested it was too violent for TV from the get-go. MTV just followed her lead, knowing what better controversy is to have another banned Madonna 10 years after her first. ..

Wouldn't be surprised, I never understood why that video was banned. It's one of my favorite videos of hers so I was happy to buy it as a single anyway. At least we got that choice unlike the Erotica video back in the day!

I love MUSIC. It's got a nice mixture of songs, even the ballads I enjoy (Gone). Wonderful Madonna album.

Love it. I like how it has the balance between dance and slower ballads, and also between fun Madonna and deeper more mature Madonna. It's has diversity but it still holds together. I actually would like her next album to be like this in tone, something deeper and more profound than HC and MDNA (even though I like them) but not as serious and spiritual as Ray of Light and American Life.

Yes! That's one of the reasons i love it so much.

Guest Not4Pussies

It has ONLY ONE song that has never been performed live: "Amazing". :wow:

so wait, what you are saying is that Music is the only album where she has performed the most songs live"

Funny for me to find this thread...

I was at my brother's house last night and I was looking through his CDs. The first place I looked was at his Madonna collection. (Of course) He had Madonna, LAV, TB, LAP, ROL TIC, STR, BS and ROL....

I said to him, "You don't have "Music"??? He said he hadn't heard of it. I was highly embarrassed that I was his sister - LOL.

I told him that it's probably her best album EVER, and that I was going to buy it for him. He was none-the-wiser about it.

Now, he likes Madonna but he's not as crazy about her as I am. But why (and how) did he miss "Music" ??????

Wow i can't believe your brother missed the best album of her career. He need to repent NOW :stir:

I said to him, "You don't have "Music"??? He said he hadn't heard of it.

Just realized the true extent of my Madonna fandom because that admission sounds so alien to me. "Never heard of it"

My favs...I love doing this....

Gone

I Deserve It

Runaway Lover

Nobody's Perfect

Impressive Instant

Don't Tell Me

What It Feels Like For A Girl

Music

Paradise (NFM)

American Pie -----> will this inclusion cause controversy? (the first copy I bought was in the UK)

Amazing

I don't think it's underrated. I do think Gone is overrated tho. That and Runaway Lover are my least faves on what is an otherwise fantastic album.

Easy Ride >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gone

I agree that Easy Ride is better than Gone. But i still love both of them.

That makes me think: it's amazing how great her albums tracks are! So many artists are all about the singles but with Madonna her whole albums are amazing.

Guest Not4Pussies

my ranking

1- impressive instant

2- paradise (not for me)

3- nobody's perfect

4- gone

5- music

6- don't tell me

7- amazing

8- runaway lover

9- i deserve it

10- what it feels like for a girl

my ranking

1- impressive instant

2- paradise (not for me)

3- nobody's perfect

4- gone

5- music

6- don't tell me

7- amazing

8- runaway lover

9- i deserve it

10- what it feels like for a girl

You don't like WIFLFAG? :(

Guest Not4Pussies

You don't like WIFLFAG? :(

i love each and every one of those songs, but that's where it ranked. i couldn't decide between IDI or WIFLFAG.

just because it's in last place doesn't mean I don't love it.

i love each and every one of those songs, but that's where it ranked. i couldn't decide between IDI or WIFLFAG.

just because it's in last place doesn't mean I don't love it.

Ok, i was just asking ;)

I have never understood the love for Music, and I think it's probably my least favourite album... but Madonna's 13 albums are all some of my favourites so it's relative. I just never feel like it is cohesive enough, and not particularly memorable. The direction of it is never very clear, it's the only album where I don't feel Madonna coming through.

That said, the mastering and vocals are my absolute favourites. She has never sounded, and never will sound, as gorgeous as she does on Music. Yes, other albums have more exciting, emotional performances, but the quality, and the essence she imbues to the vocals, is flawless, it's like being doused in warm honey. And I think quite a few of the tracks are standouts in terms or writing or production, but it doesn't click with me.