Patrick Leonard Speaks ..and he misses Madonna!

Alessandro

A lot of good points r being made here...

But i'd just like 2 point out that when it says she writes the lyrics it also usually means

she writes the 'top melody'. This was pointed out by the legendary songwriter Billy Steinberg

who said Madonna is a VERY underrated as a songwriter.

U can also bet ur ass that when Madonna writes with these DJ-types that the melody is hers.

(unless Guy Oseary went demo shopping for her) :chuckle:

RE: those swedes said they were floored when she started singing Get Together to their track on the spot.

But I'd think with Pat it's a very different process.

And it's different everytime, for instance what is Music (the song) without M's melody? That's her genius right there,

and the essence of 'pop':fag: Don't Tell Me is another perfect example! Listen to the original, then listen 2 her version,

that's songwriting 2!

Also, most of the songs on ROL that had music written by Pat were completely deconstructed & re-arranged.

BUT, don't forget she is also a PRODUCER. :fag:

Reading you is such a treat. :)

All this moron has done with this article is to confirm from Pat Leonard of how Madonna described their songwriting process in the past.

The 1989 Molly Meldrum interview springs to mind, as well as Breakfast with Madonna.

I know Madonna rubs some people the wrong way, and having more or less had to defend my fandom for years (specifically LAP-Erotica/Sex)

her work has remained solid and relevant all these hearts later, the P Leonard songs have stood the test of time better than any of the others, save for a handful of Steve Bray co-writes, so all this continual Madonna hating from certain media outlets/journalists is (at this point) mind numbing.

I dont blame Madonna one bit for shying away from interviews and refusing to read reviews and get caught up in all that nonsense.

I hope she at least has some Pat leonard songs laying around that she dusts off and reworks. Their songs together are the closest to magic my ears have ever heard.

A few years I bought Peter Cetera's 1988 album "One More Story" cos Madonna's on it as backing vocalist during one track.

Anyway - was listening to it the other week for the first time since I got it. The album is mostly written and produced by Pat Leonard and it's really really wierd how it all is very very reminiscent of "WHO'S THAT GIRL"!

They forgot that one in the article above btw - one of Madonna's biggest worldwide number ones - anyway...

The Peter Cetera album has so many other people on it from True Blue & Like A Prayer - it's kinda almost like a pretend Madonna album from that era. Definitely worth a listen. I can't stand Peter Cetera's middle of the road style and his voice doesn't do anything for me but all those Leonard tracks are strangely likeable. The lead track "Best of Times" is I think the strongest and as I say - so VERY WHO'S THAT GIRL sounding!!!

Pat Leonard lovers should check it out!

I just YouTubed it, you're right, it sounds almost exactly like Who's That Girl.

NO NEED TO INSULT. If I can be polite, so can you.

Labels want to sell records, there is nothing bad about that. Every musician wants to sell music.

I have never said Madonna makes soulless music to get some money. Actually, I wrote that everything Madonna made isn't mainstream.

Kate Bush produces and compose, that is a fact.

You said that mainstream music was made to top the charts and make money and that Kate Bush wasn't mainstream. Kate Bush is a mainstream artist and that is a fact. She is signed to a major record label. She promotes her music with videos and promotional material within the domain of the wider market. SHE IS FUCKING MAINSTREAM. Don't be dumb. Madonna is mainstream and so is Kate Bush...entirely. You may say that certain elements of their work have a sensibility which ISN'T mainstream but still...they are MAINSTREAM artists.

Tbh i would rather see Madonna work with some brilliant unknown producer like she did in the past. Some of her very best music came from that.

I don't agree. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But if Madonna gets into that Hall of Fame will be because of the work she did when she decided to write a proper songs, and that happened normally with Pat or Will

Strangely TUTBMP reminds me of a work of M/Leonard. And its not.

Also, who is behind the brilliance of "Rain"? Pettibone?

So, indeed, I think Madonna needs much more credit.

This is one pairing I would love to see again, at least for the songwriting. We already got the William Orbit redux collab, I want Pat back for writing.

I hope she continues to work with new people too though. For all the complaints about MDNA, I think she pulled a few good things out of Solveig ("I Fucked Up", "I Don't Give A" and "Beautiful Killer") and Benassi ("I'm Addicted").

Yes, have whatever "cutting edge" DJ you want to produce but she needs a songwriting partner like Leonard to bring the best out in her lyrics.

However the MELODY, the actual germ of the song, that unmistakable ditty stuck in our head that we can't stop humming (regardless of the "music")...is ALL MADONNA and that's what makes her a great songwriter.

Guest Not4Pussies

both madonna and rosie were in the recording studio while the orchestra recorded their part of the song and rosie mentioned how madonna was able to instinctively spot a mistake that the orchestra was making that no one else was noticing.

Thanks Not4pussies! Very much fitting in with the many accounts of Madonna's musicality from a variety of sources :thumbsup:

LUV - I guess it's possible, but highly unlikely. Maybe Pat pitched the idea to Madonna and that's why they haven't recorded together since ROL ;)

I agree with Kim. The good thing about Pat is his versatility. For example, Natalie Imbruglia's That Day shows how he can build a song, that properly produce can be something incredible. And it's true, it's Madonna's talent with melodies what makes a song brilliant. That's why many fans are a bit disappointed with all these "give me some demos and outtakes and i make an album" records that M has released recently.

I agree with Kim. The good thing about Pat is his versatility. For example, Natalie Imbruglia's That Day shows how he can build a song, that properly produce can be something incredible. And it's true, it's Madonna's talent with melodies what makes a song brilliant. That's why many fans are a bit disappointed with all these "give me some demos and outtakes and i make an album" records that M has released recently.

Unlike Kylie Minogue who is a multi instrumentalist who writes everything from scratch. :rolleyes: Sorry but you're full of shit.

Lighting directer Peter Morse (who is a musician, & someone who studied opera)

said he was very impressed the way Madonna can break down the music per bar.

This obviously comes from her years of classical training as a dancer.

I think that M was not happy how LAP sounded old fashioned back in 1989/90.

She wanted more modern sound like Paula Abdul and Janet were having.

So, in came the DeeJays.

professional song writer (Joe Henry, Leotard, Kraviz) + professional "hip" producer (Pettibone, Mirwais, Orbit, Solveig) + Madonna = perfect tune.

I think that M was not happy how LAP sounded old fashioned back in 1989/90.

She wanted more modern sound like Paula Abdul and Janet were having.

say_wha.gif

She had just gotten divorced, she turned 30 during the writing process & she was the biggest

female icon since Marilyn Monroe. She was in an introspective mood.

say_wha.gif

She had just gotten divorced, she turned 30 during the writing process & she was the biggest

I know. WTF?! :dead:

professional song writer (Joe Henry, Leotard, Kraviz) + professional "hip" producer (Pettibone, Mirwais, Orbit, Solveig) + Madonna = perfect tune.

Solveig? Come on. He can make catchy tunes with Madonna, but Madonna can do more than that.

Stuart Price is much better producer than Solveig and I believe he can make more serious and mature stuff than COADF.

Solveig? Come on. He can make catchy tunes with Madonna, but Madonna can do more than that.

Stuart Price is much better producer than Solveig and I believe he can make more serious and mature stuff than COADF.

Better in what way? Better because you think so? You may BELIEVE that Stuart can make more serious and mature stuff than COADF but as somebody who is quite aware of his back catologue I know that it isn't what he does best. If you like Stuart then clearly your sensibility is a dance orientated and light sensibility. Stop pretending.

Better in what way? Better because you think so? You may BELIEVE that Stuart can make more serious and mature stuff than COADF but as somebody who is quite aware of his back catologue I know that it isn't what he does best. If you like Stuart then clearly your sensibility is a dance orientated and light sensibility. Stop pretending.

Well COADF is better than MDNA, I guess that is telling something.

say_wha.gif

Well, she wanted more modern sound and she went after it (Vogue, Rescue Me, Justify My Love and of course Erotica).

Same thing happened with ROL. Leotard got the boot from the producers chair.

Very wise.