The art of Madonna's videos

Jazzy Jan

Madonna's video clips have always been one of the many highlights of her career. After the great discussion over the meaning of the images in Deeper and Deeper in a previous thread, would love to hear what Madonna fans think about her amazing videos.

I will start with the first video clip of hers I ever saw which was Burning up. I loved how after all of the images of Madonna yearning for her lover and seeming out of control with passion rolling around on the road, she then ends it all by driving off with the guy's car with him being no-where to be seen. Was just a great twisted ending to it all. Also, a great piece of trivia was the guy driving the car was her one time boyfriend Kenny Compton.

Feel free to pick any video of Madonna's throughout her career to discuss.

Excellent thread Janelle!

I have so many fav Madonna videos but the one that stands out the most visually and content wise is Bedtime Story

Beautiful and rich in Hermetic Symbolism

Brilliant plus it's one of those videos where she looks too gorgeous for words

Another epic one for me was the video for The Power of Goodbye

But there's too many great ones to truly be able to pick

tumblr_m6p1c9EN9z1r6jqq1o1_250.giftumblr_m6p1c9EN9z1r6jqq1o2_250.gif

Bed-time-story-madonna.jpg

madonna-arabic.jpg

colour_4.jpg

bsv2.jpg

Excellent thread Janelle!

I have so many fav Madonna videos but the one that sticks out the most visually and content wise is Bedtime Story

Beautiful and rich in Hermetic Symbolism

Brilliant plus it's one of those videos where she looks too gorgeous for words

Another epic one for me was the video for The Power of Goodbye

But there's too many great ones to truly be able to pick

[media=]

[/media]

tumblr_m6p1c9EN9z1r6jqq1o1_250.giftumblr_m6p1c9EN9z1r6jqq1o2_250.gif

Bed-time-story-madonna.jpg

My fave all time Madonna video as well...haunting as fucking hell...love how they used the art of Dorothea Tanning,Leonor Fini,Remedios Varo and Leonora Carrington as inspiration for this video and also loved Björk's influence on the song...such creative and wonderful artists all together in this project.

03a.jpg

2582216402_acc818b79f.jpg

rv050.jpg

leonora-carrington-el-guardic3a1n-del-huevo.jpg?w=545

My fave all time Madonna video as well...haunting as fucking hell...love how they used the art of Dorothea Tanning,Leonor Fini,Remedios Varo and Leonora Carrington as inspiration for this video and also loved Bjoörk's influence on the song...such creative and wonderful artists all together in this project.

03a.jpg

rv050.jpg

:inlove: <3 Thank you for this

One of my favourites videos is The Power of Good-Bye. She looks absolutely gorgeous in it, and everytime I watch it is like it gives me this feeling as if I was in fact having to give something up. So to me is a very powerful video, and I love it!

I love finding out all the original references.

Re: Bedtime Story someone posted a Russian video that clearly influenced it a year or so ago. It was amazing how much imagery she'd used. Does anyone remember it?

One of my favourites videos is The Power of Good-Bye. She looks absolutely gorgeous in it, and everytime I watch it is like it gives me this feeling as if I was in fact having to give something up. So to me is a very powerful video, and I love it!

The chess match is based on the one in the original Thomas Crown Affair I think.

Bedtime Story is probably her artsiest video no? Love all the influences and imagery :inlove:

I also love NRM, Hatsumono inspired and Geisha Madonna were imo one of her best incarnations!

normal_PDVD_006.JPG

normal_PDVD_036.JPG

normal_PDVD_062.JPG

normal_PDVD_046.JPG

normal_PDVD_070.JPG

My fave all time Madonna video as well...haunting as fucking hell...love how they used the art of Dorothea Tanning,Leonor Fini,Remedios Varo and Leonora Carrington as inspiration for this video and also loved Björk's influence on the song...such creative and wonderful artists all together in this project.

03a.jpg

rv050.jpg

Thank you :dramatic:

:bow:

The chess match is based on the one in the original Thomas Crown Affair I think.

the ending to TPOG from Humoresque

I haven't watch any of those movies yet, and I had no idea about the chess match being based on a movie! Thanks for the info!

I always loved the feel of richness in the imagery that was used in the Madonna videos directed by David Fincher. Express Yourself, Vogue, Oh Father and Bad Girl.

Images from these vids always stand out in my memory: the pearls falling in Oh Father, the liquid spilling, the snow in the cemetery, etc. Simply the attention to detail and luxury and texture across all of these vids. Even the cigarette smoke looks styled lol. So glam but also edgy in their own way.

tumblr_m722c6M7Pt1qhjm0go1_r3_500.gif

tumblr_m722c6M7Pt1qhjm0go2_500.gif

“There was so much left unsaid, so many untangled and unresolved emotions - of remorse, guilt, loss, anger, confusion. I saw my mother looking very beautiful and lying as if she were asleep in an open casket. Then I noticed that my mother’s mouth looked funny. It took me some time to realize that it had been sewn up. In that awful moment, I began to understand what I had lost forever. The final image of my mother, at once peaceful yet grotesque, haunts me today also.”

So loving all of the responses.

tumblr_mbhhs5B5371qid7pvo1_500.jpg

I have always loved the video clip to Material girl. Madonna and Old Hollywood movie glamour always go together incredibly. Hardly anyone could do their own version of Marilyn in Gentlemen prefer blondes and come out unscathed but Madonna recreated it easily. I also love the fact that she chose to have her hair different from Marilyn, as added her own stamp on it, rather than a direct copy.

Every look she had in that video was flawless. From the gorgeous pink dress to the red outfit she used in the car to the white lace outfit at the end. I loved the irony of the whole song and video. Could not believe the complaining of some that this promoted materialism when in fact the message was so clear. At the end of the video, the man she was kissing gave her a bedraggled bunch of flowers, drove an old car and she earlier threw away his flowers and offered his diamonds to a friend on the phone. Just a classic video clip that completely shows off Madonna's beauty and charisma.

^ Whoopie, yes that absolutely. An image and memory that she, and now many of us, will never, ever forget.

In addition to the video being set in winter, it was also freezing cold outside when the video was in heavy rotation when I was younger and now whenever I see it, I immediately turn cold.

Guest SecretGarden

Justify My Love is one of my favorites. It's exactly what the world needed to see at the time of its release, it starts and ends like a dream, with a never ending corridor

tumblr_mdceo4sCBY1qzwglbo1_1280.gif

Madonna is in control yet also submissive to her partner and her own urges, I love how she enters the music video drowsy and somewhat dazed, like she doesn't know where she is. It's trippy.

Madonna has never been more culturally relevant than during the time of this video, it really was the video that set everything into perspective - that Madonna wasn't only a pop star but an original, a risk taker, an artist. It's becoming even more relevant as the years go on, when you see these newer pop stars trying to imitate the video but failing.

Madonna-Justify-My-Love-C-Gs-You-Can-F-k-With-Me-Edit.jpg

Edited by SecretGarden

Don't Tell Me

I have no idea if there is any specific inspiration for this one. But I love that the theme of the video gets along with the theme of the Music era. And the simplicity of this is beautiful. Love the reveal that the road is not a real road, just a backdrop screen. And that choreography and those dudes.

Pop bitches try to do simple videos with choreography but they don't look as good as this.

I know she got shit for 'plagiarizing' scenes in the Hollywood video, but who cares? Those color schemes, that lighting, that body; one of my all time fav M videos, without a doubt. She's sex personified.

Untitled-4.jpg

Picture+14.png

Madonna-Hollywood-Screenshots-madonna-19722783-952-700.jpg

She was paying homage, which she has always done. She loved Guy's work, and has even mentioned him in the past. That case was just oh so stupid. Love the video.

I know she got shit for 'plagiarizing' scenes in the Hollywood video, but who cares? Those color schemes, that lighting, that body; one of my all time fav M videos, without a doubt. She's sex personified.

Untitled-4.jpg

Picture+14.png

Madonna-Hollywood-Screenshots-madonna-19722783-952-700.jpg

I thought I was the only one who loved Hollywood:) very underrated and misunderstood by fans! And who better photographer to pay homage to then Guy! If he was still around I'm sure he would have smiled, unlike his scabby son.

Could you image a photoshoot between Guy and Madonna, droooooool!

What about the brilliance that is Dear Jessie, NOT! WTF was that monstrosity, after the 4 excellent videos off of LAP.

I bet that young girl is now shooting up in some gutter, still with her mickey mouse ears on, telling all her junkie friends how she starred in Dear Jessie film clip, and they are all like what the fuck is a Dear Jessie? I heard Gaga is also going to be auditioning this young lass to produce her album.

Guest Rachelle of London

I love the grittiness of this video, it really captured the emotions of the song. the yearning to understand your partner more. I've always thought the scene of her sitting on the stage singing was her almost pleading with him to let her in. Dunno if I am right but I've always looked at it that way

Justify My Love is one of my favorites. It's exactly what the world needed to see at the time of its release, it starts and ends like a dream, with a never ending corridor

tumblr_mdceo4sCBY1qzwglbo1_1280.gif

Madonna is in control yet also submissive to her partner and her own urges, I love how she enters the music video drowsy and somewhat dazed, like she doesn't know where she is. It's trippy.

Madonna has never been more culturally relevant than during the time of this video, it really was the video that set everything into perspective - that Madonna wasn't only a pop star but an original, a risk taker, an artist. It's becoming even more relevant as the years go on, when you see these newer pop stars trying to imitate the video but failing.

Madonna-Justify-My-Love-C-Gs-You-Can-F-k-With-Me-Edit.jpg

Nail. On. Head. This is the song/video that turned me into a fan.....actually, I can't say the video itself cuz I didn't actually see it until about 3 years later. The brouhaha surrounding this video totally grabbed my attention at 10 years old and started my fascination with this woman. I'm a little tipsy and not trying to bring GaGa into this thread but.....when I hear/read these teens saying that Gagas peak was like that of Madonna....I just can't help but think of this era. Then I realize how CLUELESS they really are. It just doesn't compare. THIS (and LAP....and SEX and about 100 other things) made Madonna a talking point amongst EVERYONE. This shit was on Nightline.....it was discussed and debated in college courses, she REALLY hit a nerve during this time and NONE of these other bitches can duplicate no matter how hard they try. I like your analysis of it, how it starts and ends like a dream...the long hallway....I never really thought of it that way but so true!

Guest SecretGarden

Nail. On. Head. This is the song/video that turned me into a fan.....actually, I can't say the video itself cuz I didn't actually see it until about 3 years later. The brouhaha surrounding this video totally grabbed my attention at 10 years old and started my fascination with this woman. I'm a little tipsy and not trying to bring GaGa into this thread but.....when I hear/read these teens saying that Gagas peak was like that of Madonna....I just can't help but think of this era. Then I realize how CLUELESS they really are. It just doesn't compare. THIS (and LAP....and SEX and about 100 other things) made Madonna a talking point amongst EVERYONE. This shit was on Nightline.....it was discussed and debated in college courses, she REALLY hit a nerve during this time and NONE of these other bitches can duplicate no matter how hard they try. I like your analysis of it, how it starts and ends like a dream...the long hallway....I never really thought of it that way but so true!

Very true, it's cringe worthy when someone labels what Gaga does as controversial - I mean really?, like the faux "controversy" surrounding her Alejandro video a few years back, how can anyone be shocked by that when Madonna did it 20 years ago (and much better).