The American Life 10th anniversary thread

Roland Barthes

Let's all remember 2003. the anticipation, rumours, excitment building up to the release of the American Life album on april 22nd (personally i was living in NYC at the time so i say april 22nd^^).

Let's post everything American Life : pics, memories, reviews, personal opinion on the album (we know fans are divided on this one).....

Nelly-Furtado-American-Life.jpg

I remember when the rap part was leaked...

I'm drinkin' a soy latte

I get a double shoté

It goes right through my body

And you know I'm satisfied

Everyone was like WTF?! :manson:

AL became her first and only lead single that failed to chart Top 10 (Peaked at #37).

And that's where the decline started.

The subsequent singles all failed to chart Hot100.

The album flopped everywhere.

Icon Madonna Flops Even With Britney Spears’ Star Power

Posted on October 20, 2003 by popdirt

How does an Icon fall from grace. Whoever told Madonna that she can be the new Bob Dylan should be fired. ‘American Life’ is a joke – an unfunny one at that. Madonna made it very easy for critics to unleash a backlash on her. It’s not just with the critical over saturation of the overrated ‘Music’ and a horrendous box-office flop follow-up, there’s also the ridiculous stunt she pulled with her video for the title track (also the first single from the album). After two decades of Madonna, we can see through her now transparent marketing tactics. As a result, her talking about Hollywood insincerity in ‘Hollywood’ with lyrics like “I lost my memory in Hollywood/I’ve had a million visions bad and good/There’s something in the air in Hollywood/I tried to leave it but I never could”. Amazing. Who would’ve thought Hollywood has something bad in the air?

That’s the biggest problem with this CD: two flop singles and the vapid lyrics end up making Madonna come off like a raving insincere street prophet rather than the musical emissary to deliver us from our drudgery. Also, it is hard to believe her when she sings “I’m so stupid/Cause I use to live/In a tiny bubble/And I wanted to be/Like all the pretty people/That were all around me/But now I know for sure/That I was stupid/Stupider than stupid” (I’m So Stupid) when one just has to open the pages of a magazine and see that she’s still living in a bubble, and worse, a bubble filled with frivolous pretty luxuries. Why is she whining about how sad and miserable she is? Why make a CD about your blues if you’re sincere? The Salvation Army is over there, they could use a few million dollars in donation.

Musically, this CD combines the most self-indulgent boring excesses of ‘Music’ with really juvenile lyrics. Think of this CD as eleven tracks of ‘Don’t Tell Me’. There’s a charm to Madonna’s deadpan “rap” in her classic single ‘Vogue’, but here, her deadpan “raps” are closer to parodies. How can one keep straight face when she’s mouthing lines like “My mother died when I was five/And all I did was sit and cry/I cried and cried and cried all day/Until the neighbors went away” (Mother And Father) without any hint of self-awareness as to how atrocious those lines are? She’s passing off first-grade poetry as music from one of the most accomplished female performers of the century. This is not only unacceptable but also humiliating.

http://popdirt.com/icon-madonna-flops-even-with-britney-spears-star-power/21263/

AL became her first and only lead single that failed to chart Top 10 (Peaked at #37).

In America, yes, but in the UK is still went in at a respectable Number 2. In fact, it was Number 1 in the midweeks and was overtaken by Saturday. However, the situation has reversed for her in the UK in that all the singles from MDNA were massive flops. GMAYL went to (ironically) Number 37!

The album flopped everywhere.

Not in France :rotfl:

Guest Xanthium

It's a good album. You have to be in a certain kind of mood to listen to it. The rap is so fucking cringe. What the fuck was she thinking? I do think sonically the album was very revolutionary for a pop album. The staccato beats in Die Another Day, American Life etc. were never done before in mainstream pop songs. The lyrics were a bit daft here and there. And the melodies were there but they weren't immediate or catchy.

Guest Rachelle of London

My fave album!

I love every track, I hate it when people call it boring or whatever. I just absolutely adore it!

well...that critic didn't even like the Music album...said all...and what's about that hollywood lyric??? i really love this album especially the sequence that goe from song VI to VIII...and easy ride and hollywood...more, the cover is really beautiful...i love the special edition package with the stamps and the poster made with that kind of paper that really make you think of and old picture of a revolutionary... :laugh:

and every time i listen to x-static i'm moved

a really great missed opportunity...

I like the sound of the album, and it has some huge songs on it (Nothing fails...well, mostly the ballads), but the first single´s lyrics make me laugh everytime I see them.I would love to hear Love profusion without all the sounds, and the last song on the album is marvellous too (Easy ride? i should listen to the album again)

It's a fucking amazing album they no other "contemporary" could pull off then and now

Of course it didn't do well, and she acknowledged that herself.

Intervention FTW

Icon Madonna Flops Even With Britney Spears’ Star Power

Posted on October 20, 2003 by popdirt

How does an Icon fall from grace. Whoever told Madonna that she can be the new Bob Dylan should be fired. ‘American Life’ is a joke – an unfunny one at that. Madonna made it very easy for critics to unleash a backlash on her. It’s not just with the critical over saturation of the overrated ‘Music’ and a horrendous box-office flop follow-up, there’s also the ridiculous stunt she pulled with her video for the title track (also the first single from the album). After two decades of Madonna, we can see through her now transparent marketing tactics. As a result, her talking about Hollywood insincerity in ‘Hollywood’ with lyrics like “I lost my memory in Hollywood/I’ve had a million visions bad and good/There’s something in the air in Hollywood/I tried to leave it but I never could”. Amazing. Who would’ve thought Hollywood has something bad in the air?

That’s the biggest problem with this CD: two flop singles and the vapid lyrics end up making Madonna come off like a raving insincere street prophet rather than the musical emissary to deliver us from our drudgery. Also, it is hard to believe her when she sings “I’m so stupid/Cause I use to live/In a tiny bubble/And I wanted to be/Like all the pretty people/That were all around me/But now I know for sure/That I was stupid/Stupider than stupid” (I’m So Stupid) when one just has to open the pages of a magazine and see that she’s still living in a bubble, and worse, a bubble filled with frivolous pretty luxuries. Why is she whining about how sad and miserable she is? Why make a CD about your blues if you’re sincere? The Salvation Army is over there, they could use a few million dollars in donation.

Musically, this CD combines the most self-indulgent boring excesses of ‘Music’ with really juvenile lyrics. Think of this CD as eleven tracks of ‘Don’t Tell Me’. There’s a charm to Madonna’s deadpan “rap” in her classic single ‘Vogue’, but here, her deadpan “raps” are closer to parodies. How can one keep straight face when she’s mouthing lines like “My mother died when I was five/And all I did was sit and cry/I cried and cried and cried all day/Until the neighbors went away” (Mother And Father) without any hint of self-awareness as to how atrocious those lines are? She’s passing off first-grade poetry as music from one of the most accomplished female performers of the century. This is not only unacceptable but also humiliating.

http://popdirt.com/icon-madonna-flops-even-with-britney-spears-star-power/21263/

Those Mother and Father lyrics were deliberately supposed to be childish as they were supposed to be from the child's point of view. That is very obvious and Madonnas vocal on that section makes it obvious. I don't know why people don't get that. Having said that I think she should have just left those lyrics out as its caused such disdain.

The are some clunky lyrics n AL but its stil a great album. I loved it since the day it came out and do you know any other albums that mix folk with electronica? My main issue is I was tired of the vocoder by this point and wish she had left it behind at Music.

It would have been an entirely different ball game if the lead single was nothing fails. Hugh hit for sure. You can just tell it was madonnas decision ( and adamacy) that American life be first single whilst Warner execs left scratching their heads. Great video and remixes though if that is any consolation.

Guest pedrohdi

Her most underrated album, and most experimental sound wise. I confess that the first time I heard AL the single I didn't know what to think of it, but a few listens after it turned out to be one of my favourite Madonna tracks (even the rap). And video is pure brilliance! That review that was published a few post above, it must been an american one, because in Europe this album was praised by the critc! Remember that the war in Iraq was about to start and anyone in the USA who was against were considered a traitor, or at least almost a traitor! And that's how Madonna, one of the most played artist on the radio, left the top 40 radio in the USA. She is still one of the most played acts in radio in the States, but on those radios that play oldies!

All in all, I love AL album, all of it! With it's brilliance, weirdness, childish and sometimes hypocritical lirics. The production was AMAZING!

USA and Bush politics couldnt eat this shit. All americans couldnt eat this shit. They are so patriotic that they cant forgive critics on their lifes

anyway same problem happend with UK

cose they suported USA anti iraque war and so on

I think AL is one of the best ms albums. It has great sound, smart antiwar or anticonsumer culture messages..not only in al song but in hollywood to

I enjoy even today listening it and its sound didnt get old all this time.

"Nothing Fails" is one of the all-time worst!

Yup I hear u awful song,Saying that though I have warmed to the album over the years and Easy Ride is just beautiful but on first play it was the first and only time I have ever listened to a madonna album in full and thought wtf is this shit.

i think it's kinda schizophrenic in nature, which perhaps betrays a lack of confidence in going all the way with the 'folk-electronica' style. it's a good album, but frustratingly has the makings of an amazing album.

- American Life should have been without the novely rap.

- Nobody Knows Me is a cracking track, but is uncomfortable in the presence of most other tracks. it seems more in place on either 'Music' or 'Confessions'

- Mother & Father is a bit of a hot mess, from the same woman who 15 years earlier gave us 'Promise To Try', which musically fitted better with AL, and had the same theme.

- Die Another Day is a good track, but should have stayed as a one off film soundtrack single.

- I'm So Stupid is at best a b-side.

so, that leaves us with one half of what would have been an awesome album:

1. American Life [no rap]

2. Hollywood

3. Love Profusion

4. Nothing Fails

5. Intervention

6. X-Static Process

7. Easy Ride

tracks 4-7 are especially amazing, so another 3 tracks along those lines [i would keep the album as a brisk, intimate 10 track affair], and it would rank up there with LAP and ROL in my opinion.

Such an awesome album. It was perfect for me at the time, since I was totally on board with Serious Madonna and did not wish for a Holiday Madonna to return (now I've come to appreciate both sides of the spectrum).

At the same time, pulling the video indicated that something about Madonna's essence had been lost. It was a smartly provocative video with a clear message that did not denigrate ANYONE but those in power, who send people to war for spectacle, scare tactics, and money. It gave deeper meaning to an otherwise vapid song pretending to be serious.

Those Mother and Father lyrics were deliberately supposed to be childish as they were supposed to be from the child's point of view. That is very obvious and Madonnas vocal on that section makes it obvious. I don't know why people don't get that. Having said that I think she should have just left those lyrics out as its caused such disdain. The are some clunky lyrics n AL but its stil a great album. I loved it since the day it came out and do you know any other albums that mix folk with electronica? My main issue is I was tired of the vocoder by this point and wish she had left it behind at Music.

Agreed - the vocoder had ran its course at the time. But let's remember that the point was to make her sound robotic and detached - like the material American way of life she was trying to criticize. So from that point of view, it made sense.

I also agree that with such an album it was best to go for the yugular and release Nothing Fails first, and see where to take it from there.

Listening to it right now. Omg, when the different vocals start blending together and then the choir hits... Chills.

Although I dislike the album, but I still bought the album when it first came out.

Hate it or not, I still want the queen to get that number 1 album.

I have 13 different countries album edition in total.

Question: What's the different between the Explicit version and the normal version? No "fuck"?

I think there were obviously some bad ideas on this album, or at least ideas which did not connect to the music-listening public. There are also some great moments, but since the record was dogged by criticism about the "rap" and then the stale Mirwais production and first video controversy, I don't think the redeeming elements got a fair shake until much later. I think of Madonna's albums like children and this is the overly rebellious one; it's a loud-mouth, "refuse to conform" type of personality, but over the years I have grown to appreciate it's better faces.

I've never cared for the title track or its rap, or for "I'm So Stupid". However, the electronic percolation of "Nobody Knows Me", the choir of "Nothing Fails", and the fragility of "Easy Ride" and "X-static Process" make this album an essential part of Madonna's development.