Future tours affected by current reputation?

CMoody

She really needs to employ a better sound engineer and hire a bigger abd better sound system especially for the prices she charges. It's simply unacceptable for the sound to be anything but perfect when people are paying premium prices.

I saw Depeche Mode last week and the sound at the show was incredible. Crystal, clear no distortion amazing bass and they only charge £55 for the best seats.

Yes but was it in a stadium?

S&S Milan stadium gig sucked volume wise but the MDNA one in the same venue amply made up for that. There was a low-volume request from the neighbourhood back in 2009, similarly to what happend with the Mayfair residents committe last July with her Hyde Park gig. Was the volume/quality of sound bad at her Wembley Stadium S&S gig in 2008 too?

Yes but was it in a stadium?

S&S Milan stadium gig sucked volume wise but the MDNA one in the same venue amply made up for that. There was a low-volume request from the neighbourhood back in 2009, similarly to what happend with the Mayfair residents committe last July with her Hyde Park gig. Was the volume/quality of sound bad at her Wembley Stadium S&S gig in 2008 too?

yes , i remeber lots of complains about S&S Wembley, the sounds and that people missed the last subway or something like that

Guest Rachelle of London

Yeah S&S Wembley was an awful fiasco, low sound, sound cutting out, M came on late so people were stranded in a North West London suburb. If Ms gonna be late on the next tour she better stay clear of Wembley as transport there after hours is practically non-existent. She'll probably do the Olympic Park now anyway

Yeah S&S Wembley was an awful fiasco, low sound, sound cutting out, M came on late so people were stranded in a North West London suburb. If Ms gonna be late on the next tour she better stay clear of Wembley as transport there after hours is practically non-existent. She'll probably do the Olympic Park now anyway

She needs to stick to indoor venues in the UK next time. In retrospect, however much fun we had ourselves, that London and Edinburgh gig did untold damage to her live reputation over here.

Live Nation have since admitted to major sightline and sound problems at Murrayfield - I know they've been giving away free tix to Fleetwood Mac's Glasgow gig to those who bothered to complain

I didn't realise it was so bad in Murrayfield. Oh dear. Her UK stock is at an all time low really, isn't it? For the next tour she should probably just do 4-6 arena shows for the entire UK if you ask me (2 London, 2 Brum / Manchester, 2 Glasgow). But of course, why do that when she can just do 2 shows in shitty outdoor venues and make the same amount of money (if not more) for a third of the effort? :bad:

Guest Rachelle of London

She needs to stick to indoor venues in the UK next time. In retrospect, however much fun we had ourselves, that London and Edinburgh gig did untold damage to her live reputation over here.

Live Nation have since admitted to major sightline and sound problems at Murrayfield - I know they've been giving away free tix to Fleetwood Mac's Glasgow gig to those who bothered to complain

I agree, the only reason I said Olympic Park is because I know Live Nation have just secured the contract for that venue. But I agree she needs to stick with arenas here! I dont see why she doesnt. She could easily spend 2 weeks in the UK doing a few arenas. She has a home here, familiar with the country. If she could do all those arena shows like the US leg of MDNA she could definitely do some here. Hyde Park and Murrayfield were some of the worst dates out of the whole tour.

I didn't realise it was so bad in Murrayfield. Oh dear. Her UK stock is at an all time low really, isn't it? For the next tour she should probably just do 4-6 arena shows for the entire UK if you ask me (2 London, 2 Brum / Manchester, 2 Glasgow). But of course, why do that when she can just do 2 shows in shitty outdoor venues and make the same amount of money (if not more) for a third of the effort? :bad:

DARL, I was oblivious to it at the time (being up front thanks to hunky hector :wow:) but there was definite rumblings on the bus back. Murrayfield's a shitty too big venue anyway. Then some of the youtube stuff I saw was shocking. You literally couldnt hear more than a rumbling sound, the stage being a lil dot in the distance with out of sync screens and smoke machines pumping out hardly any smoke resulting in the lighting effects not showing up right. Her shows are designed for indoors, no question.

I agree, the only reason I said Olympic Park is because I know Live Nation have just secured the contract for that venue. But I agree she needs to stick with arenas here! I dont see why she doesnt. She could easily spend 2 weeks in the UK doing a few arenas. She has a home here, familiar with the country. If she could do all those arena shows like the US leg of MDNA she could definitely do some here. Hyde Park and Murrayfield were some of the worst dates out of the whole tour.

Oh I know. If they can get away with Madge working one or two nights by herding people into big ass venues. charging £150 to stand about all day and half the night they'll do it. What a difference to those seven nights at wembley arena/earls court days. Fucking live nation. It'll defo be interesting to see what strategy they use next time.

I'm still glad I gave S&S at Wembley a miss not even knowing he would ever do a second leg

It's still weird to me that she did that but Sticky at the 02 was amazing . Even tho I was v drunk as per but I got everyone outta their seats

It's like Madonna had her Lecter-senses going, and she knew she must do the show for me :disco:

N.B. POOR BRENDA :(

I seem to remember reading a few months ago that AEG now own all London arenas and LiveNation now only have Wembley Stadium and Olympic Park - they actually couldn't put on an arena show in London if they wanted to.

Guest Rachelle of London

I seem to remember reading a few months ago that AEG now own all London arenas and LiveNation now only have Wembley Stadium and Olympic Park - they actually couldn't put on an arena show in London if they wanted to.

Many Livenation acts like Rihanna and Beyonce play the o2 arena. I just think M wants to do stadium shows

Many Livenation acts like Rihanna and Beyonce play the o2 arena. I just think M wants to do stadium shows

you're right, my brain fell out.

this is the article I read

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/mar/22/aeg-wembley-arena-competition-commission

it says the O2 is owned by AEG, and that they have Wembley arena and Hyde Park, so I wonder how Ri and B play there, maybe they charge extra or something

Guest Rachelle of London

you're right, my brain fell out.

this is the article I read

http://www.guardian....tion-commission

it says the O2 is owned by AEG, and that they have Wembley arena and Hyde Park, so I wonder how Ri and B play there, maybe they charge extra or something

No I used to think that aswell until I found out that Rih and Bey were LN acts. They probably do charge more for them. To be fair I think LN will buy the o2 soon enough, as AEG is in the shitters

Stadiums must be easier on her. Potentially three or four shows in one go.

Hyde Park was a dreadful venue indeed. However I note many casual and non fans went and they loved it.

Unless her next album is big seller and has a hit single she ain't gonna sellout 2 shows in Birmingham or Manchester. The demand just ain't there. If she did a greatest hits tour then maybe she could sell out 2 shows up north and maybe a show at the new Glasgow Hydro.

She built up a fantastic reputation as a live act in the UK up until S&S but they took the piss charging £150 quid to sit at the back of Wembley stadium with shitty sight lines and poor sound quality. Hyde Park didn't help matters

As I have said before if she is gonna go down the stadium route again she needs to lower her prices in the seats at the back and higher up, employ a sound technician that knows his job and hire a decent sound system so the people at the back and in the higher parts of the stadium can hear her clearly. She should also think about the stage design and have have a second stage to allow her to come into the middle of the audience like Coldplay did on their last tour. It really is that simple.

Last year my sister saw Madonna for the first time in London. I was really shocked when she told me she had a very hard time hearing the music. I would have been so pissed off considering the high ticket prices.

I'm not saying you're all wrong or that the points some of you make aren't valid...but i have been reading about this kinda stuff ever since the Drowned World tour...and 12 years later and 4 tours later, she's still selling out huge ass stadiums all around the globe, sure the MDNA Tour total gross and attendances didn't quite match the S&S ones but there's a huge economic crisis all around the world, i don't think it has anything to do with the lack of hits or the shitty venues in most cases...

Guest Rachelle of London

Last year my sister saw Madonna for the first time in London. I was really shocked when she told me she had a very hard time hearing the music. I would have been so pissed off considering the high ticket prices.

I was at the front and the sound was crystal clear, but I do know that further back in General Admission section the sound was bad. GA tickets cost £70 for the Hyde Park show, and considering the show M put on thats not that expensive. Rihanna tickets are £10 less and her shows are NOWHERE as good as MDNA's so in perspective I dont think the H.Park tickets were that much

Unless her next album is big seller and has a hit single she ain't gonna sellout 2 shows in Birmingham or Manchester. The demand just ain't there. If she did a greatest hits tour then maybe she could sell out 2 shows up north and maybe a show at the new Glasgow Hydro.

She built up a fantastic reputation as a live act in the UK up until S&S but they took the piss charging £150 quid to sit at the back of Wembley stadium with shitty sight lines and poor sound quality. Hyde Park didn't help matters

As I have said before if she is gonna go down the stadium route again she needs to lower her prices in the seats at the back and higher up, employ a sound technician that knows his job and hire a decent sound system so the people at the back and in the higher parts of the stadium can hear her clearly. She should also think about the stage design and have have a second stage to allow her to come into the middle of the audience like Coldplay did on their last tour. It really is that simple.

I reckon if she guaranteed a Greatest Hits show (which, let's face it she aint gonna do anytime soon) she might still bring in the big numbers. It's kinda up in the air at the moment really.

I really don't know what the problem is when it comes to investing in a proper stadium stage. Probably cos she still caters to so many US arenas and it's easier to use that set-up with a few extra bells & whistles to jazz it up outdoors. Even when they brought in the long jumbotron screens (which everyone else has been using for years), they end up not even utilising them properly and her insistence on no close-ups renders them useless more than halfway down a stadium anyway.

Oh and whoever's in charge of the outdoor ambiance - hazers, foggers, directional fans etc, should be shot. On some dates the lighting looked pathetic because of it, or the lack thereof.

Well to be fair in the case of the Hyde Park gig there wasn't much Madonna or LN could do since the residents legally obtained that the volume be kept very low, I was at that gig and I was at the front and even I had problems with the audio, I can only imagine that people in the far back mustn't have been able to hear much. Sometimes people can be so obtuse, it's just 6 gigs a year and they can't bear throough a little music night. I know because it happened the same in Milan for Sticky and I thought it was incredibly dumb for the Council to second San Siro's residents volume requests

I'm not saying you're all wrong or that the points some of you make aren't valid...but i have been reading about this kinda stuff ever since the Drowned World tour...and 12 years later and 4 tours later, she's still selling out huge ass stadiums all around the globe, sure the MDNA Tour total gross and attendances didn't quite match the S&S ones but there's a huge economic crisis all around the world, i don't think it has anything to do with the lack of hits or the shitty venues in most cases...

Bravissimo

People have been saying, next tour she should downsize because she doesn't play the hits, because this that blah blah for ages now, and BAM the next tour she's still the #1 touring attraction globally.

Fans in the UK should just accept that it is in fact a business and if she can obtain the same results by staying less in a single area therefore allowing her to add more markets while making huge money, that's the route that in any biz they would go for. I think her UK fans, post WTG/BAT/GS, were just not used anymore to the stadium standing thing for a while, whereas fans on continental Europe have dealt with the queing all day issue since 2006

And also, continuing to compare S&S final figures with the MDNA ones is really pointless, 2009 onwards the world hasn't been the same anymore, $300m and the biggest touring event of its year, it isn't something to be looked down on

I know that's a park and all but I dunno why they build damn huge stadiums right in the middle of residential areas anyway. The curfews that it results in over here are pathetic.

I saw 7 shows between the S&S and MDNA tours, in stadiums with a capacity of 70,000 ppl, sound and lights seemed fine, i heard no complaints so maybe it has something to do with specific city laws or regulations regarding the maximun volume allowed.

Guest Rachelle of London

The bloody residents around Hyde Park are all twats. Historically Hyde Park has been used to stage concerts, okay back in the days they never had electronic sound systems but its always been a place for entertainment and leisure. Why buy a place dead bang in the centre of London if you want peace and quiet? I grew up in North West London and when there was a concert at Wembley it just added to the vibe and the atmosphere was nice...these boring twats that live in Mayfair just want something to complain about

I have a theory. Lol. I really think her next tour will be focusing on Asian, Australia, just a few cities in us and Europe. When I traveled to Asian the past summer, I have never felt such a pent up demand for madonna there. It makes sense financially too. The mdna tour earned some 300 million this time, and she definitely doesn't want her next tour to earn too little. By canceling Australia this time, she can launch a tour in Asian n Australia next time, even she has saturated Europe n the us, she would still gross similarly being the first time in Asia. And by the next next tour, it would be 5-7 years later, people would want to see her again or that might be her last record breaking 1 billion farewell tour covering every where in the world. Since she is with live nation for 2 more tours, she will for sure have another 300 million tour and a billion tour in her pocket.

There are a certain few UK fans who will spin their supposed bad experience at wembley for S&S into a fake argument against her ability to sell shows in the UK for the next 20 years. Geesh!

Before you attack me, I have read these same lame arguments for 5 years.

I have a theory. Lol. I really think her next tour will be focusing on Asian, Australia, just a few cities in us and Europe. When I traveled to Asian the past summer, I have never felt such a pent up demand for madonna there. It makes sense financially too. The mdna tour earned some 300 million this time, and she definitely doesn't want her next tour to earn too little. By canceling Australia this time, she can launch a tour in Asian n Australia next time, even she has saturated Europe n the us, she would still gross similarly being the first time in Asia. And by the next next tour, it would be 5-7 years later, people would want to see her again or that might be her last record breaking 1 billion farewell tour covering every where in the world. Since she is with live nation for 2 more tours, she will for sure have another 300 million tour and a billion tour in her pocket.

I am sure she could easily do a month or two in Australia if she wanted. Asia is a bit more difficult to say...I am sure Japan will be huge as always, but aside from maybe South Korea or Hong Kong, I am not sure many other cities where she could sell out multiple dates. Maybe Manila, Singapore, Taipei or Bangkok? I am not sure if the economics are strong enough there but it would be great if they were.

She is long long over due for a proper Asian tour.

Singapore, Taipei For sure...I am not sure if she is willing to tour china...if she will.....I cannot imagine how much she can gross.. The funny thing about Asian is this brand-name-effect....not everyone like madonna, but she is a famous brand like Lv or dior...people in Asian will want to go see the only living international icon as it will be a once in a life time experience n a symbol of status! Years ago when Whitney Houston was no longer popular, some rich guy paid one milliom us to invite her to sing a few songs in a private party in Hong Kong. Everyone wants to go not simply because they like wh, it was a symbol of status to be able to attend.